Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Do you spray dye on paper towel n then rub it in or spray directly on seat?...
    kdbvulcan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Diy - freshen up leather seats for $20 - no more ugly seat bottoms

Do you spray dye on paper towel n then rub it in or spray directly on seat?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbvulcan
    Do you spray dye on paper towel n then rub it in or spray directly on seat?
    I think it is sprayed on the seat

rickyc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '93 Allante Green bought new

Good info - is this a one-shade-for-all thing? I have a 93 Allante with light tan seats.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyc
    Good info - is this a one-shade-for-all thing? I have a 93 Allante with light tan seats.
    Go by the interior color code as each model has different color codes

NYS
    NYS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've read all 10 pages of this thread, and still could not find a definitive answer of how long this fix lasts, beyond "a few weeks".

One person reported this to be a temporary fix at best, stating that within a year, his paint peeled.

The OP reported having to redo his over again after a period of time, I think a year.

Another person reported discovering his/her seats were "renewed" with paint by a dealer. The discovery was made while cleaning the seat.

But most of the reports have been "amazing" "awesome" etc. The only problem with those glowing reports is that they were all made within a week or two of application.

Therefore, I'm wondering if this fix is merely cosmetic "just before selling the vehicle" bandaid to mask the real problem... which is leather that is too thin/cheap to hold up over time.

If that is the case, I'm wondering if the $40.00 and the hour of time would be better spent toward a more durable seat cover? Perhaps one made by Katskin (sp?) ?

Quote Originally Posted by NYS
    I've read all 10 pages of this thread, and still could not find a definitive answer of how long this fix lasts, beyond "a few weeks".

One person reported this to be a temporary fix at best, stating that within a year, his paint peeled.

The OP reported having to redo his over again after a period of time, I think a year.

Another person reported discovering his/her seats were "renewed" with paint by a dealer. The discovery was made while cleaning the seat.

But most of the reports have been "amazing" "awesome" etc. The only problem with those glowing reports is that they were all made within a week or two of application.

Therefore, I'm wondering if this fix is merely cosmetic "just before selling the vehicle" bandaid to mask the real problem... which is leather that is too thin/cheap to hold up over time.

If that is the case, I'm wondering if the $40.00 and the hour of time would be better spent toward a more durable seat cover? Perhaps one made by Katskin (sp?) ?
    I would recommend the seat shop website

jammgm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl, Bose System

Just found this write up and will try on my Eldo interior which needs work.
    Thank you!

90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NYS View Post

There has to someone out there that has done this a year or so past and can report how it is holding up. I have the SEMS dye and cleaner already, but would like to hear if it is worth the effort longterm or if it creates problems long term..........

GaExt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT
    I been wanting to do the same thing but also wanted to know the lasting effect of it. Guess I'll still get out and and do it one sat morning.

65kaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I did my front seat bottoms back in April. The drivers side is holding up fairly well. I am in and out of it a lot. the pass side still looks new. I think it is well worth it. It doesn't take long to do it and if I have to freshen up the drivers side every 8 months or so.. no big deal.

90limited is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Outstanding... Thanks for following up.

Primetime1267 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

I just placed my order tonight so i can do my seats. I do have one question that appears to have been missed or maybe i missed.. Is everyone spraying the perforated middle portion of the seats?
    I was just worried that the spray would fill in the holes leaving a strange pattern.

I will take some detailed pics for everyone of each stage, from start to finish.

65kaiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Don't worry about that. The spray is a very fine viscosity and won't fill in the holes.

Primetime1267 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade
    I just completed both of my front seats last night.. they were creased and worn a fair amount. I used the SEM soap and a green scour pad and a small dish brush to rid some of the dirt in the cracks. I used both cans, I could have used another can since I did multiple passes. I think I stopped at 8 passes. I did go a leafy heavy on some areas to get the color into the cracks and then I went back over with light coats. Overall I am pleased with the outcome. It looks a lot better than what I started out with ..

This pic is the before of driver seat.

ForumRunner_20131116_095715.png

Here is after a through clean and tape up.

ForumRunner_20131116_095808.png

And here are some pics of the final spray.. someone mentioned using sandpaper to cut back on the crease lips, this may have helped. But I couldn't find any of my wet sanding paper.. so I did the best I could. The next time I do a touch up I will sand down the cracks a little.

ForumRunner_20131116_095852.png

ForumRunner_20131116_095907.png

Mark Edward Morrison is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Great job!! I have planning on doing this for some time now and after seeing your pictures I am. Looks really good!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.