How To: NavTv - Nav Tool - Video interface for the stock Delphi Navigation Screen - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, How To: NavTv - Nav Tool - Video interface for the stock Delphi Navigation Screen in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I would bet they are all the same...
    dssrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade Ext.

Re: How To: NavTv - Nav Tool - Video interface for the stock Delphi Navigation Screen

I would bet they are all the same

ross_g is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 ext

Re: How To: NavTv - Nav Tool - Video interface for the stock Delphi Navigation Screen

Can you run the video out put from your overhead dvd to this and if you can how?

dssrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade Ext.

Yes, that is how I have mine setup. Directions are earlier in this thread.

T-Giv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

As for connecting into the factory RSE, you need to take it down by unscrewing the 3 bolts above where the screen folds up. There is then a push pin that you can just pull down. Then the whole unit can be slid towards the drivers side and can be unplugged and completely removed. After the cable from the truck is unplugged there are still 2 plugs in the back of the dvd player. One goes to the screen and the other goes to the aux input. You want the one that goes to the screen. the dark blue wire in this harness is the video +. Strip the end off of an rca and tap the positive wire into the dark blue one. then connect the negative wire to the chassis of the dvd player. To do this i just slightly unscrewed one of the screws and slid a "U" connector behind it. then just run the rca up to the nav/tv box. I was able to fish the cable from the opening for the dvd player to the drivers door above the head liner. I then took it down the b pillar and along the kick panel up to where i put the nav tool. I really should have taken pictures, but my damn camera doesn't work anymore.[/QUOTE]

Please get that camera working! This is what I'm looking to do with the Nav tool so please do a write up on this! I would greatly appreciate it.

ross_g is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 ext

Quote Originally Posted by T-Giv View Post
    As for connecting into the factory RSE, you need to take it down by unscrewing the 3 bolts above where the screen folds up. There is then a push pin that you can just pull down. Then the whole unit can be slid towards the drivers side and can be unplugged and completely removed. After the cable from the truck is unplugged there are still 2 plugs in the back of the dvd player. One goes to the screen and the other goes to the aux input. You want the one that goes to the screen. the dark blue wire in this harness is the video +. Strip the end off of an rca and tap the positive wire into the dark blue one. then connect the negative wire to the chassis of the dvd player. To do this i just slightly unscrewed one of the screws and slid a "U" connector behind it. then just run the rca up to the nav/tv box. I was able to fish the cable from the opening for the dvd player to the drivers door above the head liner. I then took it down the b pillar and along the kick panel up to where i put the nav tool. I really should have taken pictures, but my damn camera doesn't work anymore.
    Please get that camera working! This is what I'm looking to do with the Nav tool so please do a write up on this! I would greatly appreciate it. [/QUOTE]

any pics of this?

nathanjax is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 esKONali

I didn't take very detailed pictures on the whole process, but here's the pics with the TV down... I took the video - wire to the gold screw to the left of the harness's, just above the S in the sticker with the bar code.

Here's the 2 harness's. The one you want is on the left

And here's is the blue wire you want to tap in to for the video + .

Took about 30 minutes for me to do start to finish, I verified it works and the picture is great. I use the RSE audio feed up front and everything is good.

T-Giv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

This seems like I could possibly have some problems with it. Where are you located? Lol

fst96se is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjax View Post
    I didn't take very detailed pictures on the whole process, but here's the pics with the TV down... I took the video - wire to the gold screw to the left of the harness's, just above the S in the sticker with the bar code.

Took about 30 minutes for me to do start to finish, I verified it works and the picture is great. I use the RSE audio feed up front and everything is good.
    Nathan, I would LOVE to see these pictures, but it looks like you have taken them down!!!

Could you please put them back up, or link them here again? It would be greatly appreciated!

Anybody else have these they could email me?

THANKS!

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

nathanjax still posts regularly so just PM him....

Sorry. Had to move them and this site doesn't let you edit old post...

DemetriusESV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ESV

Quote Originally Posted by luxurylife33 View Post
    I would start off with the power source as you said. Try a thicker gauge wire for the + and - lines. If that doesnt work, your ribbon cable is probably not connected 100%. I had the same problem and had to wiggle the ribbon cable further into the slot. Hope everything works out for ya! I'm spending my day fixing my "service ride control" message today. I think i need a new compressor
    Hey Lux question... Ive been reading this post from beginning to end.. now I'm not that savyy on the mechanics of what's going on here but it seems like everyone that has done this mod doesnt have a factory nav? Is that the case? I have an 05 ESV with nav and I want to add the rear camera to it how will that work? Do I follow the same instructions that are in the beginning of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DemetriusESV View Post
    Hey Lux question... Ive been reading this post from beginning to end.. now I'm not that savyy on the mechanics of what's going on here but it seems like everyone that has done this mod doesnt have a factory nav? Is that the case? I have an 05 ESV with nav and I want to add the rear camera to it how will that work? Do I follow the same instructions that are in the beginning of this thread?
    we all (that have done this mod) have factory nav. This piece goes between the brain of your radio and the screen to add 2 video inpputs to your screen. If you have a double din screen, you have nav...

bravochimp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Lux, hopefully you'll see this...they won't allow me to PM yet, apparently. Good info here, I just want to verify some stuff. Here's the PM I would have sent you:

I'm about to pull the trigger on this project w/ the PAC-GM2 module, which looks to be an identical product for all intents and purposes. I just want to confirm my understanding before I proceed, it would be great if you can tell me I have this straight:

For the controller unit:
    - ground the green (bypassing the parking brake switch that they recommend for some reason)
    - ground both whites
    - ground the black
    - tap the blue into the reverse light wire
    - tap the red into the B3 GM24 connector on the head unit harness (ACC power)

Questions:
    - Are any inline fuses needed for the taps?
    - What comes off a cam...an rca out, a wire to tap into the reverse light, and a ground?

I'm certainly comfortable doing this...I just completed installation the uPAC-GM2 for iPhone integration last night, so tearing down the dash is no longer a foreign concept.

Thanks in advance...
    Steve in Houston
    '05 Escalade

quantum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Bravochimp, looks like you got it right.

I just finished installing my NavTV over the weekend, also added the PXAMG while everything was apart. Didn't bother taking pics since it would look just like everyone elses anyway.

The space was just a hair cramped for the 2 boxes and the PGHGM5 "T" harness. Took a little wiggling to get everything to fall into place. Ultimately, the NavTV went on the side by the cluster, PXAMG went to the right, and the harness tucked in behind the Nav unit.

Everything works like a charm, very awesome.

Rear Cam choice:
    I have quite a few boards and lens mounts out of probably one of the best IR NV cams available - NiteMax Ultra. They are perfect for a rear cam application. Check out the technical stats and images here (pdf).

I'll probably splice the NiteMax Ultra signal wires to a wireless AV camera I have now, power it from the rear trailer harness, and tuck the IR emitter boards into the taillights or rear bumper. Also thought maybe they could go into a hitch cover, triggered when in reverse only....hmmm.....

For that, I'll post pictures in my project thread, when I start a project thread.

quantum is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Also wanted to add -

Just got the new factory NAV disc today (2009), so I can confirm that the 2006 NAV unit goes into a complete standstill when the VSS switch is flipped.

No big deal, I'll just flip it to enter addys, and flip it back to let the map do it's thing like everybody else with a 2006 and this mod. Usually I'll use the Moto Droid with Google maps, but it's nice to have the NAV disc too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.