Best CAI for MPG Increase?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Best CAI for MPG Increase? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum! I don't own a Cadillac, but my Mom does. She ...
    DCAR-Mustang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Mom owns 2005 Escalade ESV

Best CAI for MPG Increase?

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum!

I don't own a Cadillac, but my Mom does. She drives a 2005 Escalade ESV (the 6.0 V8 I believe) and I recently found she was getting 8-11 MPG city!

From my experience with my car (2008 Mustang GT), cold air intakes are a great way to increase sound, performance, and gas mileage.

Especially with a bigger engine in an Escalade, I think improving airflow could be very beneficial towards performance and more importantly better gas mileage.

I mentioned the idea to my mom, and she thinks the investment might be worth it, depending on what you all can tell me.

So, which cold air intake would you recommend? Better gas mileage is more important than performance increase. Also, my mom won't go for the expensive ordeal of buying a tuner and cold air intake, so it would need to be "plug an play" no tune required. From what I've read, Volant has had great results, but I don't know if it requires a tune and how it will affect mpg.

Thanks!
    -Preston

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Best CAI for MPG Increase?

C'mon guys, I need some help here!

Guyz1996deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

I have been chiming in on another post. Volant intake. You will see it on my threads that I have posted.

Guyz1996deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Guyz1996deville View Post
    I have been chiming in on another post. Volant intake. You will see it on my threads that I have posted.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...olant-cai.html

Silver04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV

More air coming in=more fuel needed to achieve proper A/F ratio. I don't see much of a mpg gain in this anywhere...maybe incidentally with a slight increase in airflow efficiency. CAI's are designed to increase power. Return on investment...not worth it. You just plain have to want a cool sound and more power...and there is never anything wrong with that!

KrazyKeith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Injen Powerflow, By far looks the best out of all the Cold Air Intakes.

As other's have said, its about looks and cool sounds, bragging rights... etc..

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by DCAR-Mustang View Post

From my experience with my car (2008 Mustang GT), cold air intakes are a great way to increase sound, performance, and gas mileage.

-Preston

From my experience with the past 4 vehicles I've owned, they make your intake louder, give you a negligible gain in hp and/or performance, and don't do a darn thing to improve mpg. I believe the power of suggestion is at work on people after they install these CAIs. People seem to be able to "feel" a difference in acceleration and notice "better" mpg. I think it's all creative marketing and hogwash. If your mpg improves it's a result of changing your driving habits, and not the CAI.

They are on of the most popular add ons to late model vehicles, but don't expect the CAI to pay for itself by improving mpg. I'm just saying.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Okay, thanks guys

Looks like I won't be rushing my mom into buying a cold air intake. If she does end up getting one, I'll make sure its a Volant because that's what I've heard the best about.

And just wondering, if she is getting 11ish mpg city, less than what Caddy says it should be, is something wrong?

My mom doesn't drag race (as far as I know ) and she doesn't floor it (all the time ). That's why I think a cold air intake might help a bit more than say a Lade getting 14 city.

Silver04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV

How does she drive? Is she smooth in the use of throttle and brake? That alone can make a big difference (relatively speaking) in mileage. I'm assuming all other maintenance items are good.

I seriously don't believe a CAI is the answer to you mom's MPG troubles. If your mom doesn't have a lead foot but still gets terrible mileage try: Airing up the tires, changing the air filter, cleaning the injectors by dumping a can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank (it's the best IMO). You can add 1/2 can of Sea Foam to the crank case, then change the motor oil to synthetic after another 500 miles. If the vehicle's performance seems to be effected (power loss) you can use Sea Foam to do a carbon clean to see if it improves.

Otherwise with power loss you may have other troubles. Make sure the wheels are properly aligned, the brakes aren't dragging on the rotors, and pray you don't have a slipping transmission.

Don't trust the little computer. Calculate your mileage manually to see what you're actually getting. Then start with the inexpensive things first: air filter, injector cleaner, and airing up the tires. You will generally see some difference after those things are done. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

so much for keeping us posted... eh?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Rippy with the thread resurrection.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i couldn't help it ... was looking for an escalade cai and doing some due diligence research
    and after reading a few threads this one was screaming for a resurrection
    Rolex likes this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

dahubby98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

I love my volant CAI with snorkel. also added the spacer. Didnt notice an increase in Gas mileage but did see a power increase. Also has a nice lil whistle to ot..lil

Pitbull14218 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond EXT

It should increase mpg if you drive it right, think about it, the piston is able to travel downwards with less effort, same thing with exhaust. If you make it easier for the pistons to travel it will make the engine run easier decreasing the load on the engine. It will need less power to turn the crank. Sure it will need to correct the air fuel ratio but either way the engine becomes more efficient, maybe now applying the gas during normal driving takes less time to get up to and maintain speed. Making it easier to maintain speed should increase mpg.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.