24" Wheel Question--Vibration/Brakes/Weight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 24" Wheel Question--Vibration/Brakes/Weight in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I posted a message on this board a while back regarding black / chrome wheels. I have finally made up ...
    user7051112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

24" Wheel Question--Vibration/Brakes/Weight

I posted a message on this board a while back regarding black / chrome wheels. I have finally made up my mind, and was in the process of placing my order today when the salesperson I was dealing with mentioned a few things to me.

He mentioned that he has had some customers complain of vibration with 24" one piece wheels on EXT's because of the weight. He also recommended upgrading the brakes because of the increased weight of the one piece 24" wheels over the factory wheels. Would you guys confirm / deny / elaborate on these two issues.

The wheels I am ordering are the 24" Dvinci Havoc XL black / chrome model with Pirelli 315/35/24 tires. The cost is approx. $5,200 total. Also, will I experience much rubbing with this setup? Here is a pic of the wheel:

http://www.wheelstudio.com/wheel_ima...havblk.175.jpg

He mentioned that if I was upgraded to forged 3 piece wheels I could avoid the issues above. However, I have not really come across anything similiar in a three piece wheel and also they all seem to run $8,000 - $10,000 in 24".

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

Re: 24" Wheel Question--Vibration/Brakes/Weight

it always seems interesting when at the last minute the salesman 'remembers' a problem that will be fixed if you pay twice as much money.

iPodsAndCadillacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hehehe..Me too. However he's right. A lot of people would recommend upgrading the brakes, and it is definitely known that 3piece forged are better than 1piece. Since you have invested so much in such a luxury automobile, you only want the best and safest for it. I've heard many people say anything over 22" and you will feel it. So I imagine, a cheap 24" with the stock brakes wont be that great for your Cadillac. However I think if you get 24"s with bigger brakes, you will be fine. I would recommend the 3piece just because it's a better quality rim, but if you can only afford the 1piece I think you wont be disappointed.

Also, do you know that you can get any rim powdercoated or painted? superbuytires.com will do pretty much any rim they have in any color you want. You can specify that you still want the lip to be chrome, and they can accomodate that.

Those are nice rims, I'm just letting you know you dont have to go with black rims straight from the manufacturer.

And, if you want to see a nice black Escalade with black Lexani's, find somewhere to wtach the Mobb Deep "Get It Twisted" video. If you find it online (www.defjam.com , launch.yahoo.com , or google it) you will probably see it, right in the beginning. However I think on some TV outlets they took it out because the 'Escalade' badge comes in..

TheBehemoth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would think as long as you have the right centerbore for the wheels that you shouldnt experience vibration. If i am not mistaken the center bore for an escalade is 76.2 or 78.2 not sure which, but parts department should be able to help you.

As far as the brakes go, unless you are changing to heavier wheels I dont see how, or why, different brakes would help. If someone could explain it, i would appreciate it. I think it might have something to do with unsprung weight, but if its a lighter wheel/tire, i dont see it.

The B

CadillacBoy1992 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Ya the 24" wheels will be a little more heavy than the stock wheels. For example....have you ever rolled a car tire and then tryed stopin it by rubbin your hand on it? Well the bigger the tire the harder it is ta stop......you get the point lol.

jahngga is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by user7051112
    I posted a message on this board a while back regarding black / chrome wheels. I have finally made up my mind, and was in the process of placing my order today when the salesperson I was dealing with mentioned a few things to me.

He mentioned that he has had some customers complain of vibration with 24" one piece wheels on EXT's because of the weight. He also recommended upgrading the brakes because of the increased weight of the one piece 24" wheels over the factory wheels. Would you guys confirm / deny / elaborate on these two issues.

The wheels I am ordering are the 24" Dvinci Havoc XL black / chrome model with Pirelli 315/35/24 tires. The cost is approx. $5,200 total. Also, will I experience much rubbing with this setup? Here is a pic of the wheel:

http://www.wheelstudio.com/wheel_ima...havblk.175.jpg

He mentioned that if I was upgraded to forged 3 piece wheels I could avoid the issues above. However, I have not really come across anything similiar in a three piece wheel and also they all seem to run $8,000 - $10,000 in 24".

Thanks!
    I went with 24" 3 piece wheels so it'll put less stress on the brakes. In addtion, I added a 2/3 drop to eliminate wheel gap. I dont get any vibration at all even at freeway speeds. As for brakes, I got Eradispeed plus 1 rotor upgrade (14" crossdrilled/slotted rotors using OEM calipers). Stopping power has improved, but not dramatically. It was worth it for ($1200) though. I could only imagine what the Brembo 8-piston brake kits must feel like. The rotors gave my ride a more complete look especially for open faced rims. You can contact me at optionz808@aol.com if you want to discuss this further. Good luck!!

clickart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

You never know if it rubs or not until you put it on because each rim (model) has different offset. It probably going to rub a little but you can fix it by trimming the fender.

PistolPreeth is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

those wheels are HOT
    i have 24s, and i do realize the car is heavier. the brakes can be upgraded, but if u decide to put the stock rims on for some reason, u will not be able to, since most brake upgrades do not fit over the stock 17 inch wheels. the vibration only occurs if u move the steering wheel all the way to the right.

Good luck

all of these reasons (and money) are the reasons i'm still riding on stock rims. this truck is my everyday truck and i don't want to change the ride quality. i head south every so often to myrtle beach and it's about an 8 hour drive. and i want that drive to be as smooth as possible.

outofdablue is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you go to a quality tire shop and get the tires balanced right than you shouldn't feel the vibration. Make sure whoever installs the wheels that they take off the little spacers that came with the truck. They are on the lugs and are real thin washers that can cause the tires from mounting flush with the hub and lugs. If they are not taken off then you will feel the vibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by outofdablue
    If you go to a quality tire shop and get the tires balanced right than you shouldn't feel the vibration. Make sure whoever installs the wheels that they take off the little spacers that came with the truck. They are on the lugs and are real thin washers that can cause the tires from mounting flush with the hub and lugs. If they are not taken off then you will feel the vibrations.
    now that's good to know. i would bet a lot of places/people miss that when putting their wheels on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.