Headlights Starting to fog
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Headlights Starting to fog in Cadillac Escalade Forums; The Headlights on my 2002 are begining to fog. I thought that some time back I saw a post that ...
    awkaczor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Headlights Starting to fog

The Headlights on my 2002 are begining to fog. I thought that some time back I saw a post that told how to fix with ordinary household products. Does anyone remember it or have any sugesstions?

Tony

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Robscountach is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '02 Escalade

Re: Headlights Starting to fog

Yeah, its actually heat steam/smoke from the DTRL (Day Time Running Lights) and been discussed here.
    Remove the Headlights (takes 5 mins) by pulling two rods (1 horiz and 1 vertical), then remove the light bulbs and run alcohol/water thru them. Then let them dry.
    Its easy.

Quote Originally Posted by awkaczor View Post
    The Headlights on my 2002 are begining to fog. I thought that some time back I saw a post that told how to fix with ordinary household products. Does anyone remember it or have any sugesstions?

Tony

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

People have had good results using an alcohol water mix, water and a mild detergent, and some use plain old warm water. Thoroughly rinse the inside of the headlamps to remove the smokey film and allow to dry well before reinstalling.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Just water will wash it off....it'sa lot simpler if you just pull the bulbs out of the housing/out of the way and pour a little water(1/4 cup) in one of the bulb sockets and hold the headlight above your head and swirl it around.The fog will come off 1st pass of the water.I did put about a cap full of rubbing alcohol in but doubt it did anything.Then slowly tilt the housing for the water to drain out of the main wiring harness in the bottom corner.It will flow right out but slowly.The whole point is to avoid getting water on the chrome reflectors.

Then let the housing dry out.

oldworld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS

can this procedure be done for the HID oem lights as well?
    I remember removing the light housings, but could not remove the wires in full?? Any help?

trodder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Current: 03 Escalade Prev: 01DTS, 98Deville, 89STS, 87Fleet

this can be done with the HID head lights but I dont understand your question. All the bulbs and wires can be removed and it is all pretty self explanatory.

When I did mine I just used water. Rubbing alcohol on plastic is not a good idea. If you find that water is not good enough use dish soap... not ALCOHOL!

pcguy760 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 02 Diamond White Pearl Escalade - Sold 10/11

Ok I did this with water and soap and it turned out great but now two days later I am getting condensation inside - what can I do to fix this??

becks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 EsCalAdE

i need to do this as well, starting to fog/cloud a bit on the inside

shore is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Give it time an the condensation will go away with the heat build-up in there.

Rubbng alcohol is a dryer...it works for that purpose.

spirit man is offline Cadillac Owners Member

foggy headlight pix

I hate to revive an old thread. However, the idea of just pouring water inside the housing...I don't see it. I just took this picture from my drivers side headlight. I have an 04 with OEM HID.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by spirit man
    I hate to revive an old thread. However, the idea of just pouring water inside the housing...I don't see it. I just took this picture from my drivers side headlight. I have an 04 with OEM HID.

I was the same way until I tried it myself it worked like a charm(that and swapping out my drl bulbs with LEDs and my high beams with hids to prevent it from happening again)
    Mine is a 03 with the factory hids

I suppose I was a little nervous. I just poured into where the DRL bulb socket is. I got them both done. Light output has improved and DRL bulbs swapped for LED. I used a drop of dish soap in hot water. I thought my whole headlight was going to bubble over with suds. Project complete.

sosatyme72 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '03 Escalade ESV

hmmm i might have to try this on my lights, so i can leave in the bottom hids/ballast and just remove the drl sockets? which leds did you use to replace the bulb? any pics onho wit looks with the leds?

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by sosatyme72
    hmmm i might have to try this on my lights, so i can leave in the bottom hids/ballast and just remove the drl sockets? which leds did you use to replace the bulb? any pics onho wit looks with the leds?
    If it my LEDs from superbrightleds I have a few pics of them in the truck if you want me to email them
    I have been thinking of getting different ones sometime but haven't decided yet(brighter and more spread out on the bulb)

These are the bulbs I bought.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what they look like. Here are some more pics.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.