Loud popping sound
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Loud popping sound in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a relatively new 2003 Escalade. I am really a BMW driver, with a 745i and a 330 cic. ...
    oinick is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Loud popping sound

I have a relatively new 2003 Escalade. I am really a BMW driver, with a 745i and a 330 cic. I traded my X5 in on the Escalade because I got a great deal and mostly because I was so tired of not being able to haul much in the X5.

Anyway, aside from quality control issues mostly related to loose trim pieces on the exterior, I have been troubled by a really loud popping noise coming from under the car, especially when parked with the engine off but also when sitting in traffic at stoplights with the engine running. The dealer says this is normal, just catalytic converter noise as it cools off. He says it will get better as the car gets more broken in (only 3300 miles on it now).

This noise is not BMW-like and I am troubled by it. I am really interested in converting back to American made autos what with the economy and the damn Germans and their lack of cooperation in the Iraq thing. But I want to know if most people think Cadillac quality is up to snuff. I can easily see myself getting an XLR as a trade for the 330 cic, and in the future trading the Escalade for an XLS. But quality is a huge issue.

Any ideas about the popping? Normal or no? Have you been happy with Caddy quality?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    I won't go off on Cadillac quality but I will say that I have a Denali which is virtually identical to your Escalade and I can't say I've noticed noises from the exhaust while cooling. Mine is an '01 and it's possible they made some changes that could be causing your noise. A certain amount of "clinking" and "pinging" coming from the exhaust as it cools is fairly common on many cars and trucks so I would tend to agree with the dealer. If you're really worried, take it to a non-dealer mechanic and have him give it a listen.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I hear similar things to what you are describing on our suburban....... Normal..... I even hear it on my Q sometimes

Quality of cadillacs has never been a problem for us...... The problem is people think they can last forever and keep looking new without any maintenance..... Well that just aint the case, with any car....

ztikmedia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Its just the pipes adjusting and shifting because they are new. After they get more worn in you won't hear it anymore. I have a 03 and mine does it. I have a friend with one and he is just over 16,000 miles and his no longer makes the noise.

TheBehemoth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Recently bought a new 03 ESV , currently has about 1k on the odometer, and i cant say that i have noticed any noise like you described. I too came off a 4.4 X5 and have been thrilled with the ESV since. Needless to say I wasnt very impressed with the X5 as a SUV, and i have to wonder if thats why they decided to call it an SAV instead?

In any event,

Good Luck

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I have a 2003 Escalade AWD with 4000+ miles on it. Got it in December 2002. I havn't heard any loud popping sounds, but I there are other strange noises I hear when the engine is off and I'm walking out of it. Its more like a hissing sound from the outside. A LOUD hissing sound, something I've never heard from on the Jeep. When I first heard it I thought a snake was nearby. Quality-I've had a few problems, but we didn't pay a CENT for any of it. If the repair is more than 2 hours, they will let you rent a Cadillac. We even get free oil changes. The quality is better than our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Congrats on gettin an Escalade! And prepare for more stares than you will ever recieve in a BMW. And stay American. Also, you are fricken rich.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Loud popping sound

Quote Originally Posted by 03EscaladeAWD
    I have a 2003 Escalade AWD with 4000+ miles on it. Got it in December 2002. I havn't heard any loud popping sounds, but I there are other strange noises I hear when the engine is off and I'm walking out of it. Its more like a hissing sound from the outside. A LOUD hissing sound, something I've never heard from on the Jeep. When I first heard it I thought a snake was nearby. Quality-I've had a few problems, but we didn't pay a CENT for any of it. If the repair is more than 2 hours, they will let you rent a Cadillac. We even get free oil changes. The quality is better than our 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Congrats on gettin an Escalade! And prepare for more stares than you will ever recieve in a BMW. And stay American. Also, you are fricken rich.

You will hear an air hissing sould from time to time when the rear shocks are filling with air usually when first starting to level the rear of the Escalade, and when air is being released as well

juhko is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Not normal!

One of my ex's had an '02 Escalade that popped just like your saying - turned out some bearing in the transmission was shot! It had less than 5000 miles on it.
    Make the dealer look at it!
    Good luck.
    juhko

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.