2003 Escalade will not start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2003 Escalade will not start in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hope someone here can lend some assistance/insight. I have a 2003 AWD Escalade that has recently decide to not start ...
    lander14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

2003 Escalade will not start

Hope someone here can lend some assistance/insight. I have a 2003 AWD Escalade that has recently decide to not start every now and then. I had a new battery and ignition swith installed 30 days ago. Worked fine until today - simply wil not start. When I turn the key everything lights up and the fuel pump starts as well but nothing fires. We ran a diagnostic and got the following codes:

U1041; B1440; U1000; U1016; U1041; U1096; U1064; c0045; C0050.

I have been researching this all day and have read that it could be a crank sensor?

Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

trodder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Current: 03 Escalade Prev: 01DTS, 98Deville, 89STS, 87Fleet

Re: 2003 Escalade will not start

I thought I read somewhere that this is a known issue... I am wanting to say there may have even been a recall on it but I really don't know for sure... Hopefully someone can speak more intelligently on this.

I have looked and can't find any recall info on this issue. It did it to me again this morning. I had it towed to the dealer and of course it started when it got there. They ran another diagnostic but could not find anything wrong since the car started. Hopefully someone out there has the answer.... would really make my week

took my 03 to the dealer again today, ran another diagnostic and still nothing. They advised against replacingany sensors since they cannot pintpoint the issue. Would love to hear if anyone else found the solve to this problem. I have tried calling cadillac direct but of course no reponse!!!

So it wouldn't start again this morning. I pulled it into neutral to roll it back and before I let off the brake I decided to crank the key -- started right up. Dealer says it could be a sign that the park (?) sensor is bad and that could be the fix -- anyone ever heard of this before?

Thanks.

Lu Scola is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade EXT King of Mods

That sounds like it could be the problem. Make sure there is a little green line under Park. You may have to mess around with the gear shifter to make sure its def in park.

Thanks Lu - I wil ldouble check that next time. I am taking it to the dealer again on Monday -- according to Cadillac it could also be an issue with the Tranny Linkage so they are going to run some diagnostics on it. I wil keep the post up to date as it sounds like others have experienced the problem -- It is my goal to find the fix so others can avoid all the costs and headache I am going through

Scott in Milwaukee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Try to start the truck in "neutral". That "connection" might be in better condition.

Thanks Scott. Any idea if the park sensor replacement is something that is wasy to do or is it something the dealer will have to do?

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

I was on a road trip last year and my gfs car wouldn't start. Turned out not to be in Park. I can see it happening on occasion, but all the time... If it does it next time start it in neutral and see if that really is the problem. In my experience when the dealer starts tinkering around with your stuff, they'll mess up 2 or 3 more things... Good luck

Dealer finally (hopefully) found the problem -- the starter has a blown diode in it. Apparently that will no show up on any starter test and that is why they have not been able to locate it. For once the car did not start when it was at the dealer and that allowed them to run the right diagnostic and find the problem. $500 for the starter installed -- ouch but hopefully that wil llet me get another 75000 miles out of the car!!

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Goodluck man. Hopefully they have indeed corrected that issue.

Guyz1996deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

I had a situation wher intermittently my car would start back in the day. There was a faulting ignition module. little module in alternator and vwalla fixed

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

If it only will start in neutral it could be the neutral safety switch, you can replace it but it may get a little messy

Thanks hc. It wouldn't even start in neutral the other day and that is when the dealer was able to locate the bad diode in the starter. I had it replaced on Monday and it is working fine - I actually notice a differenc in ease of starting so hopefully they in fact found the true problem. Between tows, new battery, new ignition switch and now the starter I have almost $1000 in to find and fix the problem -- if I get another 75000 out of the Escalade I will be more than happy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.