Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2003 Escalade will not start

28K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Cameron0588 
#1 ·
Hope someone here can lend some assistance/insight. I have a 2003 AWD Escalade that has recently decide to not start every now and then. I had a new battery and ignition swith installed 30 days ago. Worked fine until today - simply wil not start. When I turn the key everything lights up and the fuel pump starts as well but nothing fires. We ran a diagnostic and got the following codes:

U1041; B1440; U1000; U1016; U1041; U1096; U1064; c0045; C0050.

I have been researching this all day and have read that it could be a crank sensor?

Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

#3 ·
I have looked and can't find any recall info on this issue. It did it to me again this morning. I had it towed to the dealer and of course it started when it got there. They ran another diagnostic but could not find anything wrong since the car started. Hopefully someone out there has the answer.... would really make my week :)

#4 ·
took my 03 to the dealer again today, ran another diagnostic and still nothing. They advised against replacingany sensors since they cannot pintpoint the issue. Would love to hear if anyone else found the solve to this problem. I have tried calling cadillac direct but of course no reponse!!!

#5 ·
So it wouldn't start again this morning. I pulled it into neutral to roll it back and before I let off the brake I decided to crank the key -- started right up. Dealer says it could be a sign that the park (?) sensor is bad and that could be the fix -- anyone ever heard of this before?

Thanks.

#7 ·
Thanks Lu - I wil ldouble check that next time. I am taking it to the dealer again on Monday -- according to Cadillac it could also be an issue with the Tranny Linkage so they are going to run some diagnostics on it. I wil keep the post up to date as it sounds like others have experienced the problem -- It is my goal to find the fix so others can avoid all the costs and headache I am going through :)

#10 ·
I was on a road trip last year and my gfs car wouldn't start. Turned out not to be in Park. I can see it happening on occasion, but all the time... If it does it next time start it in neutral and see if that really is the problem. In my experience when the dealer starts tinkering around with your stuff, they'll mess up 2 or 3 more things... Good luck

#11 ·
Dealer finally (hopefully) found the problem -- the starter has a blown diode in it. Apparently that will no show up on any starter test and that is why they have not been able to locate it. For once the car did not start when it was at the dealer and that allowed them to run the right diagnostic and find the problem. $500 for the starter installed -- ouch but hopefully that wil llet me get another 75000 miles out of the car!!

#18 ·
Interesting. I just posted my experience in the other 03 wont start thread and found this one.

Out of curiosity, did this condition also kill your battery at times? I replaced the starter on my truck and the problem never reoccurred. I was thinking a short in the starter or solenoid since I was also killing batteries.

#15 ·
Thanks hc. It wouldn't even start in neutral the other day and that is when the dealer was able to locate the bad diode in the starter. I had it replaced on Monday and it is working fine - I actually notice a differenc in ease of starting so hopefully they in fact found the true problem. Between tows, new battery, new ignition switch and now the starter I have almost $1000 in to find and fix the problem -- if I get another 75000 out of the Escalade I will be more than happy :)

#16 ·
Opened this thread a little late. I had this issue in my 03. A few dealers checked it out couldn't find the problem. Local mechanic ran electrical tests to find the short, turns out a dime got in the lighter slot since i keep my change in the ashtray. I ran out and bought the male piece to the car lighter after that. Problem solved. Running the computer diag didn't help one bit.

#19 ·
Hope someone here can lend some assistance/insight. I have a 2003 AWD Escalade that has recently decide to not start every now and then. I had a new battery and ignition swith installed 30 days ago. Worked fine until today - simply wil not start. When I turn the key everything lights up and the fuel pump starts as well but nothing fires. We ran a diagnostic and got the following codes:

U1041; B1440; U1000; U1016; U1041; U1096; U1064; c0045; C0050.

I have been researching this all day and have read that it could be a crank sensor?

Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate
[/QUOTE

Im having the same problem with my 03 but when I went to start my truck there was a loud pop, did u also here a loud pop??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.