Escalade Oil Change w/photos
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Escalade Oil Change w/photos in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Admittedly, for some of you, you know how to do this, and it would be a waste of time. For ...
    Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Escalade Oil Change w/photos

Admittedly, for some of you, you know how to do this, and it would be a waste of time.

For others, I'm sure you are perfectly happy paying people to do these things.

You guys can move on.

However, if there is anyone here who would like to change his/her own oil, and doesn't know how, and was afraid to ask, keep reading....

Keep in mind, the pictures and descriptions are of a 2004 Escalade AWD, 6.0 liter V8, Vin N... If you're not sure, the 8th character in your Vin is your Engine code.

Now, for me personally, I am capable of sliding under the truck and doing this in the garage. If you feel you need the front of the truck on ramps, by all means, feel free to do that. I did this service and took the pictures with the truck on level ground in my garage. To be honest, the worst part is sliding under the running boards. After you get under there, there's plenty of room. Is it easier on ramps?? Yes. Necessary? Not really.

A few things you will need:

This is looking from the front passenger side into the engine bay. You will see the oil cap. Remove it. You will also need a 15mm wrench, get that handy now too.

You will also need an oil filter wrench (the round thing in the picture), an AC PF46 Oil Filter, and a 3/8ths drive to turn the oil filter wrench.

A note about the oil filter: my owners manual states PF44. However, the AC Website says PF 46. Also, the dealership I bought this from had a PF 46 on it. I presume the PF 44 has been superceded by the PF46. I went with the PF 46. If I'm wrong, please correct me, before I ruin my truck.

You will also need this, 6 quarts of 5w30. I use Mobil One. This is not the time to start another oil thread, so if you want to substitute Amsoil, Rotella 5w40 synthetic, Royal Purple, Wal Mart Super Tech, whatever, feel free.

You also need some kind of oil drain pan. Everyone has their own preferences, and they can be bought in a myriad of designs at auto parts stores. Some prefer a big yellow radiator pan. Bigger is usually better. You can decide that for yourself.

Note, I prefer to do this when the truck is warm. You get better oil drainage. Not that you HAVE to do it warm, but I prefer to...

Now then, lets slide under the truck, I usually go right under the driver's door, and move in. Start looking right down the middle of the truck, somewhat towards the front... You are looking for something like this:

I am basically under my driver's seat, looking towards the front of the truck, and towards the centerline of the truck. You can see there your oil plug, and your oil filter. Don't panic, we're going to get the wrench out now...

Again, that's a 15mm wrench, you can see it there on the drain bolt...

Another quick note: if idiot techs (or more likely, the previous owner) have bunged up, damaged, rounded out, or otherwise abused your oil drain bolt, you may want to get a new one NOW, before you start... That way, when it's time to replace the bolt, you can throw your new one on there.

Some people think that vise grips are what you use to remove the oil drain bolt. NOT true!!! Do the world a favor and use the right size wrench...

Remove that bolt. Turn the wrench counter-clockwise to remove.

Oil will begin draining. Initially, the flow will be very strong, position your drain pan accordingly...

As you can see, that's a gusher....

The flow will slow as the crankcase drains... You may have to move your drain pan, to stay under the flow of oil, so be prepared to do that if necessary.... unless you like oil slicks in your garage...

The flow will eventually be just a trickle or slow drip. If you wait forever, or get a phone call while it's draining, you may actually see it stop completely, although that's not really necessary... When it slows to a trickle, replace your drain bolt.

Now we will replace the filter. You obviously saw the blue thing in the previous pictures... that's your oil filter. If you take your PF 46 out of the box, you will see, that's the blue thing.

In that photo, I have placed the oil filter wrench over the end of it. Ahh, those come in a myriad of sizes. While you are at the parts place buying your oil filter, go ahead and try the ones they are selling on your oil filter, to make sure you're buying the right one, if necessary. They will not care. Everybody does that.

Also, you will see that I have attached the 3/8ths drive to the square end of that. There's also a "six-sided" bolt style thing on the bottom of some... you can do it that way too. I prefer the ratchet handle.

Crank the oil filter off, again, turning counter clockwise. Your pan should be under that. Oil will start coming out when you do this....

It will get loose after a turn or so, and you can finish by hand if you like.

Filter is off. See that metal area above, it's circular?? Where the filter gasket meets the metal?? Make sure that's clean. Also, make sure that the rubber gasket did not "stick" to that... It's rare, but can happen. If it's stuck there, and you spin a new filter on, you will have the dreaded "double gasket", which is to be avoided. That will leak HEAVILY when you start the truck....

It's rare... But it can happen. If yours looks like this picture, you are fine.

Spin the new filter on. When it's hand tight, use the filter wrench again to crank it on maybe another 1/2 turn or so, maybe as much as 7/8ths of a turn, depending on how strong your hands are, and how tight "hand tight" means to you. You are NOT cranking this on until it won't turn. What you are trying to do is seat that rubber gasket, and compress it some. Friends of mine are very cabable of doing it by hand only. When my hands are slippery with oil, I can't do it, I use the wrench. A decent guideline is when the gasket is fully in contact with the mating surface, go 7/8ths to 1 turn from there...

New filter in place. Nice. Make sure it's wiped nice and clean like this, so that if it does leak, you can see that right away...

To review, we have drained the oil and replaced the drain plug. We have replaced the filter, and it is now on tight.

Congrats!! You're getting close. Let's go back up topside.

I like to use a decent size funnel... You can see it there, in the oil fill tube....

Pour your 6 quarts of oil in there....

Remove the funnel, replace the oil cap, start the truck.

Run the truck for 30 seconds or so, and while it's running, check for leaks. You are looking carefully at the oil plug, and the oil filter. You will probably see no leaks.

Shut the truck off and check the oil. For mine, 6 quarts was perfecto, right at the full mark on the dipstick.

Hey, guess what?? You're done!!

This may have taken awhile, and that's fine. After you do it a few times, this can easily be done in 40 minutes...

Now, find some way to enjoy all the money you just saved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Escalade Oil Change w/photos

sweet

jcmendo01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Do we have to do anything with resetting the oil change me back to 100%?

JD001249 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Awesome. Thanks for the info! I may just have to try this myself, $70+ for an oil change is getting obnoxious!

Lu Scola is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade EXT King of Mods

I change my own oil also. Walmart has the best prices on oil. I buy the 5 quart bottles for 15 and an extra quart for 2.35. The oil filter is under 3.00.

Synthetic is 20 at walmart. I have the Valvoline (SYN Power) Fully Synthetic. My oil changes cost me 25 bucks and 20 minutes of my time.

When done the oil change you can reset the oil life meter by using the buttons on your steering wheel. Its very easy.

Great write up Patrick!

Thanks...

That was a good question about the oil life index.

I don't have it in front of me, but press the buttons to bring up the oil life index. If I change mine at 3000 miles, I generally have 50% to 60% oil life remaining....

With the oil life on the screen, press and hold the "return" key, the one with the arrow on it. Same one that resets the average miles per gallon. It's in the lower right of the steering wheel.

Keep holding it. It takes a few seconds, but then the 55% number (or whatever) will turn into "XXX", and sit there.

Some things might start dinging.... the wrench symbol might light up on the dash... I haven't really payed super close attention, but a lot seems to be happening on the dash while this happens. I'm usually just watching the XXX number, waiting for it to be 100...

Don't panic.

As you keep holding that button, eventually the oil life number will become "100%" again... Now you can let go of the button.

And it's reset!

Forgot to mention that, sorry.

Spittin Game is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E

Great write up!

dstinson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

o my... a tutorial on how to change your oil??? (very detailed by the way) What can i expect next, how to change a tire? If you cannot change your oil, I believe we need to start revoking man cards.

ESCALADOR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by dstinson View Post
    o my... a tutorial on how to change your oil??? (very detailed by the way) What can i expect next, how to change a tire? If you cannot change your oil, I believe we need to start revoking man cards.
    lol!! I agree, I have never had anyone change my oil in my cars/trucks...Well exept when my boy worked for Goodyear and would slide it in for free!!

Bart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS, 2005 Escalade EXT, 1975 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by ESCALADOR View Post
    lol!! I agree, I have never had anyone change my oil in my cars/trucks...Well exept when my boy worked for Goodyear and would slide it in for free!!
    Thats a Roger...Roger.

Here is my oil change tutorial....loosen bolt that looks like oil plug, let drain, remove thing that looks like an oil filter...fill new one with oil...put it on...replace drain plug...fill with oil. 5 minutes later...you are done.

Didn't I say at the beginning, if you already know how to do this, you could skip it??

Everyone has a different level of expertise.... Everyone has had different life experiences... Let's not flame people who aren't ASE Certifed Masters...

bigksone is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 ESV, 2004 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick7997 View Post
    Didn't I say at the beginning, if you already know how to do this, you could skip it??

Everyone has a different level of expertise.... Everyone has had different life experiences... Let's not flame people who aren't ASE Certifed Masters...
    Putting that disclaimer at the beginning was a good idea. I've been changing my own oil for a long time, but I still chose to read the post. I think you did a very good job. The info and pictures should be enough to help a first timer get the job done.

ml05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade 03

Yes thanks for the post very detailed information! As I have always had guys do my oil change for me I will have to try myself to change my own oil!
    Melissa

fierodough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 Escalade

Why are people knocking this guy's post??

He took the time to take pictures and give detailed instructions. Time he is not getting paid for. If you already know how to change your oil, then good for you. Some people don't and appreciate the effort.

Will you complain if this person works his way up to replacing a head gasket?? Maybe you will need his pictures and how to then.

anyhow, that's my opinion. Thank for your hard work, we appreciate it.
    gomets31, gomets31 and boof1027 like this.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Patrick, nice post for the owners who change their own oil, making this a sticky

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.