Escalade Oil Change w/photos - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Escalade Oil Change w/photos in Cadillac Escalade Forums; nice write up , there is one trhing you forgot, you must coat the new oil filters rubber gasket with ...
    JOHNNYRENO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Escalade Oil Change w/photos

nice write up , there is one trhing you forgot, you must coat the new oil filters rubber gasket with fresh oil, this is very important to prevent leaks. not bashing though.

stilez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Awesome post! Thank you.

Ra0035 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac Escalade

What do you do with the old oil?

JOHNNYRENO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

mix the old oil with vaseline.

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

Funny you should ask.... my environmentally concious girlfriend says the other day "you should have said what you do with the old oil."

The old oil should be disposed of properly.

Heh heh. Seriously, I have several 5-gallon gas cans that I pour the waste oil into, from the drain pan. When the 5-gallon jugs are full of waste oil, I take them to my village "recycling center" (some of us used to call that a dump, but whatever), and they have a large tank you can pour waste oil into.

Also, in Wisconsin, I am told that it's the law that oil change places and service garages MUST take the waste oil from you. Now, law or not, if you go in and ask nicely, they'll take it. They get paid something for waste oil, I am told, or at the very least, the companies come and pick it up for free....

Don't put waste oil in empty milk cartons!!! The plastic will break down, and you will have a spill.... I'm speaking from experience here.

Seriously though, I've seen people drive the car up to a storm drain and pull the oil plug.... don't do that. I've seen people throwing waste oil in dumpsters.... don't do that. It takes such a microscopic effort to do the right thing... and you'll feel infinitely better about yourself....

8ball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Escalade EXT

Great post, had one question? Do you have to tighten the oil drain plug to a certain torqe spec?

KrazyKeith is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Thanks for this thread, I agree its common sense, BUT, every car/truck/suv IS different, Nice to have photos and the what not to have a clue diggin in for the 1'st time (on the escalade)

Got my 1'st oil change none no problem other then spilling some of the old oil on myself (LOL)
    Even got the oil life % reset 1-2-3!

Love this forum!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball View Post
    Great post, had one question? Do you have to tighten the oil drain plug to a certain torqe spec?
    There is a torque spec of 18 ft lbs, but I have always just made it tight, and not overtight

8ball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    There is a torque spec of 18 ft lbs, but I have always just made it tight, and not overtight

Thanks!

petercoolz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Thanks for the post. I've never changed oil before, and I'll refer to this when for the next time my car needs it.

Qhammer37 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Re: Escalade Oil Change w/photos

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick7997 View Post
    Admittedly, for some of you, you know how to do this, and it would be a waste of time.

For others, I'm sure you are perfectly happy paying people to do these things.

You guys can move on.

However, if there is anyone here who would like to change his/her own oil, and doesn't know how, and was afraid to ask, keep reading....

Keep in mind, the pictures and descriptions are of a 2004 Escalade AWD, 6.0 liter V8, Vin N... If you're not sure, the 8th character in your Vin is your Engine code.

Now, for me personally, I am capable of sliding under the truck and doing this in the garage. If you feel you need the front of the truck on ramps, by all means, feel free to do that. I did this service and took the pictures with the truck on level ground in my garage. To be honest, the worst part is sliding under the running boards. After you get under there, there's plenty of room. Is it easier on ramps?? Yes. Necessary? Not really.

A few things you will need:

This is looking from the front passenger side into the engine bay. You will see the oil cap. Remove it. You will also need a 15mm wrench, get that handy now too.

You will also need an oil filter wrench (the round thing in the picture), an AC PF46 Oil Filter, and a 3/8ths drive to turn the oil filter wrench.

A note about the oil filter: my owners manual states PF44. However, the AC Website says PF 46. Also, the dealership I bought this from had a PF 46 on it. I presume the PF 44 has been superceded by the PF46. I went with the PF 46. If I'm wrong, please correct me, before I ruin my truck.

You will also need this, 6 quarts of 5w30. I use Mobil One. This is not the time to start another oil thread, so if you want to substitute Amsoil, Rotella 5w40 synthetic, Royal Purple, Wal Mart Super Tech, whatever, feel free.

You also need some kind of oil drain pan. Everyone has their own preferences, and they can be bought in a myriad of designs at auto parts stores. Some prefer a big yellow radiator pan. Bigger is usually better. You can decide that for yourself.

Note, I prefer to do this when the truck is warm. You get better oil drainage. Not that you HAVE to do it warm, but I prefer to...

Now then, lets slide under the truck, I usually go right under the driver's door, and move in. Start looking right down the middle of the truck, somewhat towards the front... You are looking for something like this:

I am basically under my driver's seat, looking towards the front of the truck, and towards the centerline of the truck. You can see there your oil plug, and your oil filter. Don't panic, we're going to get the wrench out now...

Again, that's a 15mm wrench, you can see it there on the drain bolt...

Another quick note: if idiot techs (or more likely, the previous owner) have bunged up, damaged, rounded out, or otherwise abused your oil drain bolt, you may want to get a new one NOW, before you start... That way, when it's time to replace the bolt, you can throw your new one on there.

Some people think that vise grips are what you use to remove the oil drain bolt. NOT true!!! Do the world a favor and use the right size wrench...

Remove that bolt. Turn the wrench counter-clockwise to remove.

Oil will begin draining. Initially, the flow will be very strong, position your drain pan accordingly...

As you can see, that's a gusher....

The flow will slow as the crankcase drains... You may have to move your drain pan, to stay under the flow of oil, so be prepared to do that if necessary.... unless you like oil slicks in your garage...

The flow will eventually be just a trickle or slow drip. If you wait forever, or get a phone call while it's draining, you may actually see it stop completely, although that's not really necessary... When it slows to a trickle, replace your drain bolt.

Now we will replace the filter. You obviously saw the blue thing in the previous pictures... that's your oil filter. If you take your PF 46 out of the box, you will see, that's the blue thing.

In that photo, I have placed the oil filter wrench over the end of it. Ahh, those come in a myriad of sizes. While you are at the parts place buying your oil filter, go ahead and try the ones they are selling on your oil filter, to make sure you're buying the right one, if necessary. They will not care. Everybody does that.

Also, you will see that I have attached the 3/8ths drive to the square end of that. There's also a "six-sided" bolt style thing on the bottom of some... you can do it that way too. I prefer the ratchet handle.

Crank the oil filter off, again, turning counter clockwise. Your pan should be under that. Oil will start coming out when you do this....

It will get loose after a turn or so, and you can finish by hand if you like.

Filter is off. See that metal area above, it's circular?? Where the filter gasket meets the metal?? Make sure that's clean. Also, make sure that the rubber gasket did not "stick" to that... It's rare, but can happen. If it's stuck there, and you spin a new filter on, you will have the dreaded "double gasket", which is to be avoided. That will leak HEAVILY when you start the truck....

It's rare... But it can happen. If yours looks like this picture, you are fine.

Spin the new filter on. When it's hand tight, use the filter wrench again to crank it on maybe another 1/2 turn or so, maybe as much as 7/8ths of a turn, depending on how strong your hands are, and how tight "hand tight" means to you. You are NOT cranking this on until it won't turn. What you are trying to do is seat that rubber gasket, and compress it some. Friends of mine are very cabable of doing it by hand only. When my hands are slippery with oil, I can't do it, I use the wrench. A decent guideline is when the gasket is fully in contact with the mating surface, go 7/8ths to 1 turn from there...

New filter in place. Nice. Make sure it's wiped nice and clean like this, so that if it does leak, you can see that right away...

To review, we have drained the oil and replaced the drain plug. We have replaced the filter, and it is now on tight.

Congrats!! You're getting close. Let's go back up topside.

I like to use a decent size funnel... You can see it there, in the oil fill tube....

Pour your 6 quarts of oil in there....

Remove the funnel, replace the oil cap, start the truck.

Run the truck for 30 seconds or so, and while it's running, check for leaks. You are looking carefully at the oil plug, and the oil filter. You will probably see no leaks.

Shut the truck off and check the oil. For mine, 6 quarts was perfecto, right at the full mark on the dipstick.

Hey, guess what?? You're done!!

This may have taken awhile, and that's fine. After you do it a few times, this can easily be done in 40 minutes...

Now, find some way to enjoy all the money you just saved.
    Thank you! I saved $80 and can use that for a present for my wife on valentines day!!
    gpiquer, gpiquer, Loc623 and 1 others like this.

bummy54130 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 escalade

I already know how to do it. But let me tell you how many people are crazy happy for this. The pictures and write ups are great. I wish that there were more people like you.

OCESCALADE is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Great post! I have been changing my oil on my cars for 25 years. The oiling the gasket on the new filter is a must and I always use Latex gloves which helps against dirty hands and also helps you to hand tighten the oil filter. Never use a filter wrench or any tool too tighten an oil filter period. In California you have to buy oil catch basins which Parts stores sells and are a good idea as they can usually hold about 4 oil changes. Places that accept used oil will not accept oil in plastic milk jugs or radiator jugs only the approved catch basins. Also since i do use a jack to lift my car always use jack stands and I always leave the jack holding some pressure of the car just in case a jack stand fails or shoots out as extra insurance.

LuvMyTJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Someone asked about resetting the oil life meter. I turned my key to the "on" position and stepped on the gas pedal 3 times. Thats it, it will go back to 100% life.

PS - why the heck is the oil filter so damn small? A 6 quart engine should have a minimum of a 1/2 quart filter, preferably a full quart filter. Once that teeny tiny filter plugs up, the dirty oil go through the bypass right back into your motor completely unfiltered.

wahine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 ext

Thumbs up Re: Escalade Oil Change w/photos

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!! i learned so much. the details are stupendous, and humorous. i needed them. Thank YOU. im a woman without a teacher and i will be looking to all your posts for more wealth. aloha.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.