ESV Tailgate Trim Retaining Water-Help?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, ESV Tailgate Trim Retaining Water-Help? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; After washing my recently purchased ESV, when opening the tailgate, an extreme amount of water drains out from either side ...
    jhayes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

ESV Tailgate Trim Retaining Water-Help?

After washing my recently purchased ESV, when opening the tailgate, an extreme amount of water drains out from either side of the trim piece on the lower part of the tailgate. I am concerned about the large amount of water being kept there or freezing in the winter unless the gate is opened to allow it to drain. Has anyone else had this problem or have a fix? I can see that this could be a future source of corrosion. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slopoke is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: ESV Tailgate Trim Retaining Water-Help?

In the middle of searching for this same issue, so reviving an old thread here, but also when i open my tailgate in the rain or after washing it, a bunch of water drains out of each corner. is there a trick or a hole that is plugged up somewhere

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Same thing happens on mine, gf gets soaked everytime! Of course its my fault since I'm the one who washes the truck... I gotta look into this as the trailgate is rusting from the inside (there's bubbles appearing under the paint at the lower seam). Another winter project. I want to treat the area with POR15 and maybe find a way for all that water to drain out. Same issue when driving in rainy weather. All that moisture trapped in there (if the gate is not opened) can't be good.

Yea it is very annoying, if its raining run out to the car and lift the gate to get under it, only to be soaked by a stream of water! SEems like there must be weep holes that it is suspose to drain from, that are blocked...

chadande is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV

Same problem here. And the paint on the inside bottom of the tailgate is beginning to bubble up. Not cool. I wonder if the tailgate is rusting through from the outside under the trim? Anybody know how to remove that piece without causing damage?

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Had to wash the truck today before heading out, water is actually coming out from the piece of plastic that sits on top of the gate, not from inside it. Wonder if its the same for others? I will still remove the back panel and investigate the rust issue from inside before the end of the month.

yea the water from washing it and in the rain is definately coming from under the trim, and between the door. on the bottom of the actual tailgate you will see to rubber grommets. these let water out of the tailgate if it gets water in it. but i think we are all concerned with water being trapped between the trim and the metal. needs to be able to drain.....

DrToonz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

I have the same problem.
    No rain seems to be getting into the door itself, but just between the exterior trim panels and the door itself.
    The water gathers there and then spills out on the left and right when the gate is lifted.
    I don't know if it is a problem as far as paint/rust/damage go, but it is quite annoying when these relatively large streams of water pour out from under the trim when you open the gate after a rain or a wash.
    Any ideas of how to stop this (either keeping the water out in the first place or allowing it to properly drain so it doesn't collect.
    ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.