Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; i cannot bring it to my brothers shop until 2 weeks.... hes on vacation ..... i dont wanna spend $200+ ...
    luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

i cannot bring it to my brothers shop until 2 weeks.... hes on vacation ..... i dont wanna spend $200+ for the dealer to scan it... so until then I do not know the code....but the message is saying "service ride control" .... its been working on and off the past two weeks, im thinking something is loose or on its way out

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Same here! Dealer is begging me to bring the truck in for a quick checkup. Yeah right, I just wish they would rent that Tech 2 scanner instead. On the regular escalade there's a huge connector underneath the truck, right behind the rear right wheel. All the signals for the SCM and rear AC unit go thru there. Mine was in pretty bad shape, I suspected my problems were due to a broken wire from this connector. I cleaned and checked and all is well there. Maybe the EXT has a similar connector somewhere? One cheap test would be to manually activate the factory relay, ground the light blue while ignition on, see if the compressor is working.

sk7

Got my Innova 3150 scanner today, Wow 7 ABS codes in memory, pretty much all covering the stability system! Basically everything is not working properly or ? I got misfire cyl 8 - knock sensor issues that I want to adress before resolving suspension abs stuff. Will keep troubleshooting after I can get the engine to work properly.

I already did the relay trick, the compressor is fine.... but i dont wanna hook it up ghetto style to a switch, i want it fixed. Not to mention there no way of knowing when to stop pumping air into the shocks...

sk7

Same here, its always a guessing game... I tried the switch hoping it would 'wake up' the system to work automatically. No codes I got are related to the auto leveling ride. Worst case scenario I'm gonna make my own auto ride module lol! All the required signals are there in the back, I'll just need a reference as to what the proper ''level'' height is, and take it from there! Huuummm another winter project...

that should be real interesting... mine stills works whenever it feels like it. by next monday I should have the car at my brothers shop to get it scanned with his snap-on modis... hopefully its something stupid

my brothers $10,000 modis snap on scanner doesn't read scm codes .... blaaaaaa .....guess im bringing it to the dealer so they can scan it for $125 unless anyone else has a better suggestion.........

are you sure the Innova 3150 scanner scans scm codes? i know you said you got ABS codes.... my brother claims no $150 scanner will pick up scm codes .... he said any "CAN" will pick up ABS codes though ..... just wanna know before i drop $150 on this scanner

sk7

You are correct the 3150 will read ABS and engine related DTC. I got a bunch (7) when I first checked the ABS (stabilitrack), now I only get C0265. I get no service air ride system message, even tho the system is not functionning. There is a section on the scanner for enhanced trouble codes, I get nothing when I go there. Whats the specific code for the auto leveling suspension? I can have a look if its included in the equus website.

i have no clue.... my brother is ASE master certified and claims the dealer is my only hope at reading these codes

BTW, i had 7 unrelated BCM stored codes that were all bogus except for one.... one of my cluster lights is out. Those are all deleted (except the cluster light one wouldn't delete, gotta fix that). No engine or ABS codes for me.

sk7

Only 3 trouble codes related to the auto leveling suspension according to service manual, here is a listing and diagnostic procedure.

DTC C0655
    Circuit Description
    The vehicle's rear leveling compressor motor is switched on and off via a compressor motor relay which is controlled by the Suspension Control module. The Suspension Control module provides a switched path to ground whenever compressor activity is required. The Suspension Control module continually monitors the compressor motor relay circuitry to determine if the voltage level agrees with the commanded state.

Conditions for Running the DTC
    Whenever the compressor is activated.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    Open in the control circuit of the compressor motor relay.
    Short to ground in the control circuit of the compressor motor relay.
    Short to battery in the control circuit of the compressor motor relay.
    Open in the ignition 3 voltage circuit of the compressor motor relay.
    Open IGN 3 fuse.
    A malfunctioning compressor motor relay.
    Action Taken When the DTC Sets
    The compressor motor relay is disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle.
    Stores a DTC C0655 in the Suspension Control module memory.
    Conditions for Clearing the DTC
    The Suspension Control module no longer detects a open, short to ground, or a short to battery in the control circuit of the compressor motor relay.
    Using a scan tool.
    A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.
    Diagnostic Aids

Important
    A leak in the air tube between the rear shocks and compressor will cause excessive running of the compressor motor. After approximately 5 minutes of continuous running without a change in body-to-wheel height or system pressure, the Suspension Control module will command the compressor motor relay to the off state for the remainder of the ignition cycle.

The following conditions may cause a malfunction to occur in the compressor motor relay:

A short to ground in the control circuit.
    An open in the control circuit.
    A short to battery in the control circuit.
    An open in the ignition 3 voltage circuit.
    Test Description
    The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Command both the ON and OFF states. Repeat the commands as necessary.

Tests the coil of the relay for continuity.

Tests for voltage at the coil side of the compressor motor relay. The IGN 3 fuse supplies power to the coil side of the compressor motor relay.

Verifies that the Suspension Control module is providing ground to the compressor motor relay.

Tests if ground is constantly being applied to the compressor motor relay.

Test for a short to voltage or an open in the control circuit of the compressor motor relay.

The replacement Suspension Control module must be calibrated.

Step
    Action
    Value(s)
    Yes
    No

Schematic Reference: Automatic Level Control Suspension Schematics

Did you perform the Automatic Level control Diagnostic System Check?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    Go to Diagnostic System Check - Automatic Level Control

Install a scan tool.
    Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    With a scan tool, command the compressor ON and OFF.
    Does the compressor turn ON and OFF with each command?
    --
    Go to Diagnostic Aids
    Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition.
    Disconnect the compressor motor relay.
    Measure the resistance of the relay coil.
    Does the resistance measure within the specified value?
    30-90 ohms
    Go to Step 4
    Go to Step 12

Probe the coil side feed circuit of the compressor motor relay with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.
    Does the test lamp illuminate?
    --
    Go to Step 5
    Go to Step 11

Connect a test lamp between the control circuit of the compressor motor relay and the coil side feed circuit of the compressor motor relay. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.
    With a scan tool, command the compressor ON and OFF .
    Does the test lamp turn ON and OFF with each command?
    --
    Go to Step 9
    Go to Step 6

Does the test lamp remain illuminated with each command?
    --
    Go to Step 8
    Go to Step 7

Test the control circuit of the compressor motor relay for a short to voltage and an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
    --
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 10

Test the control circuit of the compressor motor relay for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 10

Inspect for poor connections at the compressor motor relay. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 12

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the Suspension Control module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 13

Repair the coil side feed circuit of the compressor motor relay. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?
    --
    Go to Step 14
    --

Replace the compressor motor relay.

Did you complete the replacement?
    --
    Go to Step 14
    --

Important
    After replacement, use the scan tool to perform the calibration procedure for the Suspension Control module, located under Special Functions: Recalibration.

Replace the Suspension Control module. Refer to Electronic Suspension Control Module Replacement .

--
    Go to Step 14
    --

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs .
    Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
    Does the DTC reset?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    System OK

DTC C0660
    Circuit Description
    The exhaust solenoid valve is switched on and off via the Suspension Control module. The Suspension Control module provides a switched path to ground whenever exhaust activity is required and during a compressor "head-relief" sequence which occurs at compressor start-up if system pressure is lower than 68.95 kPa (10 psi). The Suspension Control module continually monitors the exhaust solenoid valve circuitry to determine if the voltage level agrees with the commanded state.

Whenever the exhaust solenoid valve is activated.

An open in the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve.
    A short to ground in the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve.
    A short to battery in the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve.
    An open in the battery positive voltage circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve.
    An open RTD fuse.
    A malfunctioning exhaust solenoid valve.
    The exhaust solenoid valve is disabled for the remainder of the ignition cycle.
    Stores a DTC C0660 in the Suspension Control module memory.
    The Suspension Control module no longer detects a open, short to ground, or a short to battery in the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve.
    Using a scan tool.
    A history DTC will clear after 100 consecutive ignition cycles if the condition for the malfunction is no longer present.
    Diagnostic Aids
    The following conditions may cause a malfunction to occur in the exhaust solenoid valve:

A short to ground in the control circuit.
    An open in the control circuit.
    A short to battery in the control circuit.
    An open in the battery positive voltage circuit.
    Test Description

Command both the ON and OFF states. Repeat the commands as necessary.

Test the exhaust solenoid valve resistance.

Tests for voltage at the coil side of the exhaust solenoid valve. The RTD fuse supplies power to the coil side of the exhaust solenoid valve.

Verifies that the Suspension Control module is providing ground to the exhaust solenoid valve.

Tests if ground is constantly being applied to the exhaust solenoid valve.

Test the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve for a short to voltage and an open.

The replacement Suspension Control module must be calibrated.

Step
    Action
    Value(s)
    Yes
    No

Schematic Reference: Automatic Level Control Suspension Schematics

Did you perform the Automatic Level Control Diagnostic System Check?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    Go to Diagnostic System Check - Automatic Level Control

Install a scan tool.
    With a scan tool, command the exhaust ON and OFF.
    Does the exhaust solenoid valve turn ON and OFF with each command?
    --
    Go to Diagnostic Aids
    Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition.
    Disconnect the compressor leveling module connector.
    Measure the resistance from the positive battery voltage circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve and the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve.
    Does the resistance measure within the specified value?
    30-90 ohms
    Go to Step 4
    Go to Step 12

Probe the positive battery voltage circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve with a test lamp that is connected to a good ground. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.
    Does the test lamp illuminate?
    --
    Go to Step 5
    Go to Step 11

Connect a test lamp between the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve and the positive battery voltage circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve, harness side. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.
    With a scan tool, command the exhaust ON and OFF .
    Does the test lamp turn ON and OFF with each command?
    --
    Go to Step 9
    Go to Step 6

Does the test lamp remain illuminated with each command?
    --
    Go to Step 8
    Go to Step 7

Test the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve for a short to voltage and an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 10

Test the control circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve for a short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 10

Inspect for poor connections at the exhaust solenoid valve. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 12

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the ESC module. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 13

Repair the positive battery voltage circuit of the exhaust solenoid valve. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?
    --
    Go to Step 14
    --

Replace the exhaust solenoid valve.

--
    Go to Step 14
    --

Important
    After replacement, use the scan tool to perform the calibration procedure for the Suspension Control module, located under Special Functions: Recalibration.

Replace the Suspension Control module. Refer to Electronic Suspension Control Module Replacement .

--
    Go to Step 14
    --

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs .
    Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.
    Does the DTC reset?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    System OK

Text too long, part 2 coming up....

sk7

DTC C0711
    Circuit Description
    The suspension control module uses a 5 volt analog air pressure sensor to determine the amount of air pressure in the Automatic Level Control (ALC ) system. The valid signal voltage range of the sensor is 0.15-4.85 volts. The sensor signal voltage will increase and decrease within the valid voltage range as system pressure increases and decreases.

The Ignition is ON.

The air pressure sensor's signal voltage is out of the valid range.
    A short to ground, short to voltage, or an open in the pressure sensor, or the circuits to the sensor.
    DTC C0711 is stored in memory.
    ALC system pressure is set to a default value.
    The ALC system is disabled.
    A current DTC will clear when the malfunction is no longer present.
    A history DTC will clear after 100 malfunction free ignition cycles.
    Using a scan tool.
    Diagnostic Aids
    If DTC C0870 is present, perform the diagnosis for that DTC first.

The following conditions may cause a malfunction to occur:

An open in the 5 volt reference circuit of the air pressure sensor.
    A short to ground in the 5 volt reference circuit of the air pressure sensor.
    An open in the signal circuit of the air pressure sensor.
    A short to ground in the signal circuit of the air pressure sensor.
    An open in the low reference circuit of the air pressure sensor.
    A malfunction in the air pressure sensor.
    A leak in the air tube at the air pressure sensor may cause a faulty sensor voltage reading.
    Test Description

Tests for a high resistance or an open in the ground circuit.

Check for open or high resistance in the sensor ground circuit.

The replacement suspension control module must be calibrated.

Step
    Action
    Value(s)
    Yes
    No

Schematic Reference:

Important
    If DTC C0870 is present, perform the diagnosis for DTC C0870 first.

Did you perform the Automatic Level Control Diagnostic System Check?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    Go to

Install a scan tool.
    With the scan tool, observe the Air Pressure Sensor data parameter in the ALC data list.
    Does the scan tool indicate that the Air Pressure Sensor parameter is within the specified range?
    0.15 -- 4.85 V
    Go to in Wiring Systems.
    Go to Step 3

Turn OFF the ignition.
    Disconnect the ALC compressor connector.
    With the scan tool, observe the air pressure sensor data parameter.
    Does the scan tool indicate that the air pressure sensor data parameter is at the specified value?
    0.0 V
    Go to Step 4
    Go to Step 6

Connect a 3 amp fused jumper wire between the 5 volt reference and signal circuit of the ALC compressor harness connector.

Does the scan tool indicate that the Air Pressure Sensor data parameter is within the specified range?
    4.8-5.2 V
    Go to Step 9
    Go to Step 5

Test the pressure sensor signal circuit for an open, or short to ground. Refer to and in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 6

Test the pressure sensor signal circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to and in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 7

Test the pressure sensor 5 volt reference circuit an open, or short to ground. Refer to and in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 8

Test the pressure sensor 5 volt reference circuit for a short to voltage. Refer to and in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 10

Test the pressure sensor low reference circuit for an open, or short to voltage.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 12

Inspect for poor connections at the ALC compressor harness connector. Refer to and in Wiring Systems.

--
    Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 11

Inspect for poor connections at the suspension control module harness connector. Refer to and in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 14
    Go to Step 13

Replace the pressure sensor. Refer to in Automatic Level Control.

Go to Step 14
    --

Important
    After replacement, use the scan tool to perform the calibration procedure for the suspension control module, located under Special Functions: Recalibration.

Replace the suspension control module. Refer to in Electronic Suspension Control (ESC).

--
    Go to Step 14
    --

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
    Does the DTC reset?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    System OK

I'm gonna have a look at the innova website to see if those codes are supported by the 3150-3160.

Edit: C0655 and C0660 are listed on their website. But not C0711. I'm not sure that means these codes can be checked with their scanner. Too bad you don't live a bit closer, I would have been an easy check to do once the service air ride message pops up.

thanks! i will have to try it all one day..... i dont think its worth $125 for the posibility of the 3 codes, ill check all that!

now when it sez......

go to step 3
    go to step 12

step 3 answers yes or no to the question?

sk7

I wish I could cutNpaste the info as it appears in the manual, its a lot easier to understand. Pics also do not work with this function... Which DTC are you looking at?

i understand.... is the top yes or no?

theres "go to step" listed twice... which one is yes and which one is no? or are they in all diffrent orders? im gunna buy the dvd i think!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.