Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; There is a $10 kit kit available to use to pump up your shocks until you get the automation working..It ...
    coralreef35mm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

There is a $10 kit kit available to use to pump up your shocks until you get the automation working..It works good

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Here is a pic of the SCM location:

And the module itself...

I will give this manual bypass of the compressor upon startup a try.

sk7

Wiring diagram for luxurylife33:

Hope this can help!

dstinson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

you wouldn’t happen to have one (diagram) for the ride height sensors do you? I want to know what the sensors should read for resistance (i.e. the range) thanks. This is getting to become a good in-depth thread

sk7

Here you go...

Since all troubleshooting is done with the tech 2 scanner, its a bit of a pita to diagnose anything without. As far as I can see, ref 5V is used for level signal, so lower voltage means lower height or the other way around.

All level info is on connector C3 on the SCM, the lower one. Here is info.

Suspension Control Module - C3

Connector Part Information
    24-Way F Micro-Pack (LT BLU)

Pin
    Wire Color
    Circuit No.
    Function

A1
    PNK/WHT
    Damping Lift/Dive Signal

A2
    TAN/WHT
    Left Front Suspension Position Sensor Signal

A3
    PPL/WHT
    Left Front Suspension Position Sensor Voltage Reference

A4
    TAN/WHT
    Right Front Suspension Position Sensor Signal

A5
    LT GRN/

WHT
    Left Rear Suspension Position Sensor Signal

A6
    RED/BLK
    Left Rear Suspension Position Sensor Voltage Reference

A7
    LT GRN/

WHT
    Right Rear Suspension Position Sensor Signal

A8
    LT BLU
    Steering Wheel Position Sensor Signal

A9
    GRY
    5 Volt Reference

A10
    DK GRN/

WHT
    Vehicle Speed Signal

A11
    --
    --
    Not Used

A12
    DK BLU/

WHT
    Left Rear Suspension Damper Solenoid Control

B1
    BRN
    Ignition 3 Voltage

B2
    LT BLU/

BLK
    Left Front Suspension Position Sensor Low Reference

B3
    PPL/WHT
    Right Front Suspension Position Sensor Voltage Reference

B4
    LT BLU/

BLK
    Right Front Suspension Position Sensor Low Reference

B5
    LT GRN/

BLK
    Left Rear Suspension Position Sensor Low Reference

B6
    RED/BLK
    Right Rear Suspension Position Sensor Voltage Reference

B7
    LT GRN/

BLK
    Right Rear Suspension Position Sensor Low Reference

B8
    ORN/BLK
    Low Reference

B9
    ORN/BLK
    Low Reference

B10
    --
    --
    Not Used

B11
    TAN
    Leveling Pressure Sensor Signal

B12
    --
    --
    Not Used

I wasnt able to copy exactly the info from the manual, its too long or ?

wow, this is good stuff, thank you very much (although I don't have a tech 2 scanner). Now are you replacing your SCM with a new one? I am curious to see if this will fix your problem. Perhaps the SCM is not telling the pump to activate?? Keep up the good work.

sk7

I don't have the nerve to ask the stealership how much that little box is worth! After having to pay $6 each for the 2 rubber bump stops for the fuel door (now I know where breast implants are manufactured!), and 90$ each for the cover over the lighter plugs on the center console, I'm affraid this will mean remortgage the house! Also replacement module must first be recalibrated to the truck upon installation, with, you guessed it, tech 2 scanner.

After getting up from my nite shift, with brain still in limp mode, I figured maybe I was looking for a fault in the system that isn`t there? What if the compressor doesnt come on because the truck is level? It does look ok to me afterall, and I dont really have a reference point as to what the proper level should be. So I unplugged one of the hose from the rear shocks, hoping for some pressure in, nada! I will install a switch inside triggering neg on the factory relay, + a red led to signal when the compressor is runnning, while I wait for my OBD scanner to arrive...

Making the compressor run for about 30 seconds does bring up the rear quite a bit! Will keep progress posted. I'm also interested in checking out if the 4 level sensors are operational, will get to that next week.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

SK7, thanks!

Believe it or not the message went away this morning and the compressor kicked on, on its own! I would still like to find the problem, but I dont know how I'm going to scan a code that isn't there.... I wonder if the SCM stores codes like the main ECU does.......

I never asked but sk7, is your truck lowered? Mine is lowered (spindles) and it sits pretty even when the bags are deflated, however, when I manually fill the bags with air the back end prob raises about 1/2 inch. Not noticeable but I think it rides better with air and also I tow a trailer so I need that back end up. On another note, I took off the wheels and played with the sensors (adjusting the height, by taking the rod off) to see if I could get it to throw a code and never could. I was thinking about seeing if a neighbor of mine would just unplug his SCM and plug it in my truck to see if that would make a difference but you say they need to be calibrated for our specific trucks with the dealer tool? I am not about to go buy one if I can’t determine that is the problem.

sk7

Luxurylife: Great news! But I do hate it when problems just fix themselves without knowing why, you just know its gonna go wrong again... someday. Hope it stays stays runnning like it should. Saves $$$.

Dstinson: Truck is stock, no mods done to suspension or wheels. GM SI manual is not too clear about the module recalibration, it does need to be done for a new unit, but they don't specify for troubleshooting purposes. I figured I can't be worse than unplugging the battery, so I unpluged mine and opened up the module to see if anything was "wrong" on the inside. My truck sat outside for a few months without a sunroof or side window (salvage title), so it was kinda wet when I got it (actually frozen since it was middle of winter). But no harm done to electronics. If you have a buddy with a similar model, I would go ahead swap the SCM to see if it changes anything. Just unplug the power plug (top one) first and replug last, to be on the safe side.

sk7

I installed a manual overide switch on the dashboard activating the factory compressor relay + a red led to come when compressor is running so I can do the happy dance if the system finally decides to work by itself! Ride sure improves with air in the shocks! Going camping this weekend, this will be the first tow I do with this truck (small tent trailer), I'll see how things turn out with my temporary setup. Will keep you posted on monday.

The led was a good idea, never thought about that one. I am going camping too so I put the 18's back on, will pump them full of air for the ride. I would be curious to know on a truck that has air ride working without towing trailer or crap in the back, how much air is actually in the shocks. It's kinda cool to have an over ride switch, especially with the trailer so I can manually add more if need be. Keep us posted if you ever get a resolution.

sk7

I am also wondering how much air pressure is in the system at proper height. I will get a guage on the system, just for reference. The automated system didnt work at all on its own during the weekend trip. Seems like I had to add a bit of air to raise the back every 30 minutes or so. Tent trailer is fairly light, 2500lbs apprx. I once got a limited stabilitrack message upon starting the engine after pumping a bit too much manually! I'm gonna try a test of the height sensors (min-max output) this week. Will keep posted.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

well the message is back..... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ..... would this have anything to do with adding 2009 OEM 22" rims? message came on about a week after i installed them

sk7

What is the message you are getting? I found a few explanations about the different suspension-ABS related service messages in the SI manual. Will post em here later tonight. Somehow the auto leveling suspension and stabilitrac is not connected together (I may be wrong here). So my air compressor is non op and I'm not getting any codes. The stabilitrac is also non-op and I do get a code for that one. Reading previous posts on the forums seems to point to defective front ABS sensors (there was apparently a recall on that), or steering shaft input sensor. I'd like to get the auto level suspension working first, then move on to the stabilitrack.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.