Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 28
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; My "service ride control" story! I will try to make this brief. Bought an 03 EXT in November 2013 with ...
    Sdstrext03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade EXT

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

My "service ride control" story! I will try to make this brief. Bought an 03 EXT in November 2013 with 75K on it. December received the SCR message. Using this thread, ran thru all the steps. Jumpered the relay on the fuse block under the hood. Nothing. Removed the pump for replacement. Jumpered the pump and the plug, compressor runs and pumps. Reinstalled and looked for other issues. Nothing. Finally pulled the compressor again and found the exhaust solenoid bad. Based on an earlier posting, I soldered a 5K ohm resistor across the coil connections and stuffed it back in its housing. Reinstalled the compressor and the error message went away and the compressor runs in the morning when i start it up. I know I need to replace the compressor assembly but at least I am sure of the problem. I don't plan on hauling anything as the system cannot exhaust the pressure at this point but I am a happy camper spending $2.00 to make the system work again. Thanks to all who have posted on this thread. The information was invaluable.

Gustavo74 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade 2006

I read the 28 pages of this thread, fixed broken wire inside solenoid, I have no 30 to 90 ohms resistance, nothing. Compressor runs if I bench tested, grounded blue wire at the scm connector, relay socket, relay is good. dont know what to do next. Any sugestions?.. Thank you.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo74
    I read the 28 pages of this thread, fixed broken wire inside solenoid, I have no 30 to 90 ohms resistance, nothing. Compressor runs if I bench tested, grounded blue wire at the scm connector, relay socket, relay is good. dont know what to do next. Any sugestions?.. Thank you.
    Get the codes pulled to find the culprit

exhaust solenoid valve was the culprit, I unrolled the wire and it was broken 4 times.

I bought a spool of magnet wire enameled copper 250 ft 28 gauge ($7 - Ebay) and rewind the solenoid myself and a lot of patience, compressor is working and my suspension back in service.

Retrax is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V, 2003 Escalade EXT

I started to suspect my air ride did not work either due to never hearing the compressor make any noise. I loaded up my trailer and also never heard the compressor. I pulled the relay and verified positive 12 volts at all times on the large red wire at terminal 30 and I get 12 volts positive at the small brown wire on terminal 85 after I start the truck. I jumpered the large wire on 30 with the large wire on 87 and nothing.

I climbed under the truck and took a close look at the rear shocks. No pressure in the rubber bladders and the rubber looks pretty well toasted. The compressor? Well, I'll take some pics, but some of you who live in warm climates don't know how well you have it. My 2003 with 105,000 miles and ten miserable Minnesota winters have done major evil to it. I think I will hold the crown for the compressor with the worst corrosion.

I'm kind of pissed with the dealership I bought this truck from. They did their 150 point "Gold Crown" pre sale inspection on it and apparently "missed" this little gem. I bought it last year and it was a one owner trade from a prominent Cardiac Surgeon here and he always had the truck serviced at the dealership. Total complete maintenance history with the smallest things always immediately fixed so I am actually surprised this wasn't addressed.

Oh well. The most they would probably do for me is a discount on parts. With labor running over a hundred bucks an hour, I'm just going to replace the compressor and shocks myself. I have the bolts soaking in penetrating oil. I am hoping heat will break it loose but the third bolt is kind of buried and not the easiest to access. I am thinking I might have to take a cutting wheel to the bracket to get a straight shot at that third bolt.

Well, THERE'S your problem....

New parts....

I would recommend the Dorman part over the Arnott. The Dorman comes with everything new (bracket, isolators, compressor, pressure sensor, dryer, exhaust solenoid, and even the exhaust tubing and square plastic exhaust door. You don't have to rebuild anything and it has a limited lifetime warranty. I got this at my local Advance Auto Parts store where they had it in stock and ready to go.

I followed some advice of another forum member. The Advance Auto price is $453.99. They will price match RockAuto.com but they WON'T do it if you just go into the store and ask. what you need to do is call the Advance Auto 800 number and ask them over the telephone if they will price match Rock Auto's online price. The Rock Auto online price was $229.79. Advance Auto verified the Rock Auto price while I was on the telephone and agreed to match it. They took my credit card info over the phone. All I had to pay extra was my local sales tax. They verified which store had it and sent me an email. I just went to the store with my ID and email and it was waiting for me.

dballin69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

Great thread, love it when someone finds the hard to find fixes. I have the same problem but I replaced my rear compressor which came with a new exhaust valve. My old compressor was broke in half literally. My compressor would kick on here and there with the key on for 2 or 3 seconds but now it doesn't do anything. Ive unplugged and plugged all the suspension sensors, checked for voltage at the compressor plug and im getting a small amount of voltage from a small white wire but knowwhere else. I cant figure out which fuses are for the suspension. My truck sits about level and when I try to put gas in it the gas runs back so takes forever to put gas in it. I really need to get the suspension working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know the thread is long but if you have already replaced the compressor recheck the relay. You can jump the relay to force the compressor to turn on. If it runs when you force it to, you know your compressor is still good and the power wires between the relay and the compressor is also good.

If that checks out your relay may be bad. This thread also goes into checking sensors with a multimeter and the control module. The answers are here, just requires a lot of reading. Jump the relay wires, if that works I would then replace the relay. If that doesn't fix it, you are dealing with sensor problems, trouble with the module, or a bad wiring connection somewhere in between.

jrader94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 ESV Platinum

Looks like Im taking the plunge next weekend on replacing compressor and shocks! Have the Arnott/Bilstein new shocks and compressor/dryer rebuilt kit on the way. Truck is about a month old for me (05 esv), and had I not read these forums I would have never checked my shocks lol. Bladders dry rotted on bottom, and compressor never turned on....assume it burned out trying to fill leaking shocks. Its an Arnott compressor, so it has been changed before?

Great thread, great information.....information that has cost me money since I had no messages displayed and had no idea how the air ride system worked. Boring days at work force me to read stuff, then checking my truck, then realizing I may have to get out the wallet and tools.

Will post my successes or failures.

Quote Originally Posted by jrader94
    Looks like Im taking the plunge next weekend on replacing compressor and shocks! Have the Arnott/Bilstein new shocks and compressor/dryer rebuilt kit on the way. Truck is about a month old for me (05 esv), and had I not read these forums I would have never checked my shocks lol. Bladders dry rotted on bottom, and compressor never turned on....assume it burned out trying to fill leaking shocks. Its an Arnott compressor, so it has been changed before? Great thread, great information.....information that has cost me money since I had no messages displayed and had no idea how the air ride system worked. Boring days at work force me to read stuff, then checking my truck, then realizing I may have to get out the wallet and tools. Will post my successes or failures.
    You will notice a big difference if the ride sucks now
    The auto ride system adjusts to your speed and the road condition along with auto leveling with a load in the back or on the hitch(if equipped with the towing package)

One plus it has little to no body roll in curves at high speeds

Cool, I do have the tow package but don't tow anything. Didn't really ever notice a bad ride...little bounce, but figured it was due to just being a big heavy suv. Hopefully once installed everything runs as designed. Honestly don't trust myself checking relays, OHMS, and jumping stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jrader94
    Cool, I do have the tow package but don't tow anything. Didn't really ever notice a bad ride...little bounce, but figured it was due to just being a big heavy suv. Hopefully once installed everything runs as designed. Honestly don't trust myself checking relays, OHMS, and jumping stuff
    Mine did like that(it got scary at higher speeds)
    I wouldn't mess with it if you don't feel up to it

Mine just floats now and love it

Yeah, have a family trip coming up so I've spent a lot of time making sure I don't have problems on the road. I'm cool with all the mechanical stuff, just electrical I'm not so versed in. Seems simple enough in reading this thread, but so many potential isssues when it comes down to electrical...prolly have dealer pull codes if new pump and shocks are unsuccessful.

Either way the truck needs it....shocks (delphi) look to be stock so at 144k miles they are due for a change...fronts probably too, buut will wait on those a bit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.