Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 22
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by bowcha101 Ok so I just checked the voltage to the relay, and I am getting a ready ...
    mikedyk43 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by bowcha101 View Post
    Ok so I just checked the voltage to the relay, and I am getting a ready of a little less than 5 volts to one of the smaller wires when the ignition is on. Does that mean that the relay is shot? Or is it supposed to be reading 12v like the power wire does?
    Honestly, it is hard to say what the voltage there should be without schematics or some kind of labeling (perhaps on the relay itself), however a voltage there does seem to indicate that your relay is the culprit. As far as replacement car parts go, relays are on the inexpensive side for sure so I would definitely replace it first. If you want more verification that this is in fact the problem, let me suggest another test for you. If the voltage you found (approx. 5VDC) is the turn on voltage for the compressor relay, it should come on shortly after turning the vehicle on and then shut off right about the time you get a message on your dash to service your air ride.

bowcha101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

Once I figured out that the power wire had 12v running to it and the thinner relay wire only had 5v running to it, I took the relay inside and ran power to the relay. The switch wouldn't activate with 5v and the switch wouldn't activate until a minimum of 6v was applied. So I'm wondering if my relay is shot, or if there should be more than 5v running to switch the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by bowcha101 View Post
    Once I figured out that the power wire had 12v running to it and the thinner relay wire only had 5v running to it, I took the relay inside and ran power to the relay. The switch wouldn't activate with 5v and the switch wouldn't activate until a minimum of 6v was applied. So I'm wondering if my relay is shot, or if there should be more than 5v running to switch the relay.
    It is very possible that it should be 12 volts to the relay. You might try looking up the relay on the internet and finding some specifications on it. If the relay isn't supposed to turn on until there is over 6 volts, then your problem is still upstream from there. Without knowing what voltage is required there, we are really just guessing at this point.

I just bought a digital copy of the service manual for 02-06 Escalade. Once its downloaded, I will upload it to my drop box and put a link here for you. It should have all the info you need.

Here is a download link to a service manual for a 2004 Escalade electrical suspension. There is a lot of info here and some troubleshooting guides. Hope this helps.

http://db.tt/cGhRVgkX

rodneynme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 cadillac escalade

Good morning everyone please help my 2002 escalade compressor not turning on. I tried all the steps posted. My relay is not getting power on both side of 2 big red wires when the key is on emergency brake off. With key on I get 14v at the Brown wire and 14v at the red wire coming from the fuse box to the relay but nothing out the other side. I jumped the to red wires and compressor came on. When key is off Brown wire has no power and one red wire has power. I put another relay in and still nothing happen.... Help me please!!

Cyco is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 Escalade

Sorry posted to early before reading through all the post........... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7 View Post
    The compressor is most likely shot. You can leave the jumper in the relay socket and check if you have power at the round plug right beside the compressor. If you do plan on removing the compressor and replace it.
    What if you don't have power at the compressor? Nobody seems to be answering that.
    1. all fuses are good.
    2. Pulled compressor out and ran power to red/blue and grounded blck, compressor runs and blows air.
    3 Wired compressor back up, pull selenoid cap off by engine fuse box jump constant(red) to large blue(to compressor) compressor kicks on.
    4. turn on ignition jump small brown to large blue compressor kicks on.
    5 put selenoid back together (also tried a new one), compressor doesn't work (not getting power to red power line at compressor - blue has power).

Anyone have an answer to this? I am also wondering what the extra small blue wire is for leading to the selenoid by the fuse box? Does the white wire leading off the compressor selenoid run back to the selenoid by the fuse box completing a circuit, could this be why the selenoid isn't opening, if (like some of the post say) the wires are bad in the compressor portions and that white wire isnt making the circuit (altho mine is only 6mo old)? I'm somewhat confused by jumpering the selenoid(by fuse box) the compressor works. To me it's got to be the selenoid or that little blue wire not completing the circuit? I hope this isn't too confusing. Not to mention anything about leveling senors or the SCM. I am getting the service ride control message. Any help is appreciated!

bowcha101 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext

Well, after spending basically my entire spring break working on my 02 EXT I still am having no luck with my compressor. It's a brand new Arnott compressor and I also rebuilt the dryer upon install. All of my fuses are good, when i jump my relay the compressor kicks on. I tested the relay, compressor, and exhaust solenoid with a power supply and everything seemed to function as it should. At the relay I have a constant 12+v at the red wire and with the ignition on i have 12+v at the brown wire. At the vehicle harness for the compressor i have a constant 5v at the top two 5v ref wires and 12+v at the blue wire going to the solenoid. Upon removal and inspection of my old compressor I found that the compressor had seized and was locked up. There was enough moisture inside that i was able to dump some out of the dryer when i rebuilt it. The thick black ground wire coming from the compressor motor was burnt out due to the direct short of the compressor, therefore i replaced that ground wire up to the harness and traced it to the ground location and inspected the wire some more. I even tried directly grounding the wire near the compressor, however i achieved the same results and the compressor wouldn't power on. At one point, when i first started working on the truck i visually inspected everything and played with some of the wires after removing the compressor and reinstalling it, upon startup of my truck the compressor DID kick on for a short 5 seconds and then shut off. I have tested everything i can possibly think of besides the ride height sensors and whatever that little switch or sensor is that is attached to the compressors dryer. I am not a stupid person and I'm typically very good with electronics, but this issue is making me lose my mind and i know it has to be something that i should be able to find if the compressor worked once out of the blue. Does anyone have any last ideas or potential experiences they've had that they can share to possibly bring some light to my situation? How would i test my ride sensors with a volt meter, at the sensor location or the ecm? And what is that switch or sensor attached to my dryer? Is it possible that it is faulty due to the insane amount of moisture that was in my dryer? As usual, any help is highly appreciated. I know the people on this forum are much more intelligent in reference to these trucks/systems than I am

Hopefully this helps some peeps out. As I posted above when I tested compressor by jumping(red wire to large blue w/ white strip) selenoid (grey box located hanging on the black fuse box under the hood) the compressor ran. Put everything back together and it wouldn't run. As some posted previously in the thread stated, there is another selenoid? in the compressor itself(blue and white wires lead to it with blue having constant power). I'm assuming the white wire or return wire coming out from this box on the compressor leads back to the selenoid by the engine fuse box. When I put a new compressor in, everything worked again and no SRC message. So, test to see if power is coming back through the return wire (white in my case) from the compressor selenoid. I got a feeling in most of our cases it's the compressor itself or the selenoid /loose wire in the compressor.

KAWSAM62 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Question Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

hi this thread is great and has help me alot but could someone post what the normal operation is with the compressor and air shocks, does the compressor turn on every time upon starting? is it normal for the bags on the air shocks to stay pumped up for days with no starting of the engine? how does the compressor know to release air from the shocks? all my stuff is new arnott compressor and oem rebuilt shocks
    thx scott

From experience, mine will kick on after start up for a very short period, unless under load. My shocks seem to stay pumped up, the rear end is level or slightly rose at all times. When the compressor just went out 2 weeks ago, the truck still had some "elevation" to it, not sure if that is air in the shocks or how it sits. Seemed higher to me.

dotsonma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade and 2012 SRX

I had the Service Ride Control Message as well. Tried most suggestions in this thread. Ended up being a bad coil on the exhaust solenoid located on the compressor housing. Found it my measuring the resistance between terminals B5 (DarkBlue wire on pink connector) and D (Orange wire on the grey connector ) on the suspension control module. Should have read 3-90 ohms, but it read that it was open. I found that the coil wire was broken in several places. Too big of a pain to re-solder all of them, so I just ordered a new compressor from Arnott. I looks like the new compressor is made really well. It is nice and quiet and came with a rebuild kit for the air dryer tank. Very nice to not have to see that message on the message center.

esca lade uk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi does anybody know what size the o-ring on the bottom of the exhaust solenoid is?? I purchased a compressor from Arnott, everything was fine until a week before the 12 months warranty was up, the shocks started to deflate within a very short period of time of being pumped up, its definitely not the shocks as they're less than 18 moths old and I've had them sprayed with soapy water.

I called Arnott and explained the problem and they said the warranty had expired by 1 day! They said the warranty started the day it was shipped to me in the UK and not when I received the item, which seems really unfair to me, in their words, 12 months is 12 months, sorry cant help you, so definitely wont be using them again....Anyway the o-ring on the exhaust solenoid was shot and air was leaking from both grommets where the red and black wires exit the housing and from where the white a blue wires exit the exhaust solenoid. I replaced the o-ring with one that was very close in size but air still seems to be leaking from the port where the long black tube connects. Could it be that the exhaust solenoid is faulty and staying open slightly??? Its ohming out @ 23 ohms and I hear it click when I start the vehicle so not too sure. Any help will be appreciated.

chacho44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade esv

I read some of the tips all sound interesting. My service ride control or whatever it is pops up every time I turn the truck on. I don't have the service manuals for my 03esv, so if somebody can chime in and tell me where are all the fuses/relays I should be looking for. Truck stays at height at all times, does not drop at all(thanksgod). But would like to adress this issue. Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.