Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Thanks a lot ewill. Can you tell me how to remove the air lines from the shocks? Is it difficult? ...
    EXTodd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

Thanks a lot ewill. Can you tell me how to remove the air lines from the shocks? Is it difficult? We can see that there is still air pressure in the shocks so why doesn't it deflate and sag the rear end if the exhaust solenoid is possibily open? Thanks for your help.

Would the OBD2 reader pick up codes from the suspension control module if it was malfunctioning? Or does it only read codes from the main ECU?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

To relase the air lines, you just rotate the metal clip 90 degrees and then pull them off. The clip needs to be out of the groove so you just have to spread it by rotating it.

A standard OBD code reader won't access the suspension module to read data without special software that it probably won't have.
    You'd need a Tech 2 to check for codes and data

If the exhaust valve was open it would indeed sit low.
    I am sorry I am so busy, holiday week and I have a line of cars that have to be done by Thursday!
    Thanks for your patience.

03fatboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think it is time for a trip to the dealer they can most likley fix this problem very easily it is a pretty simple system.

I haven't had time to mess with this lately but thanks for your help ewill. What would be the reason why the pump is not loading the air shocks even though we here the compressor working? So basically there is just an exhaust valve that releases air from the shocks but no valve controlling the the air going into the shocks?

I am not sure how they specifically designed it. They probably do use a valve to maintain pressure and one to release pressure but I'd have to look over the stuff in the manual.
    They really don't fail that often. Over the years the level sensors have changed more than the control system and compressor.
    There are other things that can happen too, you could have a leaking line... when the compressor runs for a long time and sees no difference in the ride height it will shut down to protect the compressor.
    It could be a wiring problem, a control problem, or an output problem... impossible to tell without having the vehicle in my bay.

ewill,

I found out why air wasn't loading into the shocks. I inspected the compressor yesterday and I noticed when my friend reinstalled the compressor he kinked/looped the line. I unlooped it and now air pressure loads into the shocks just fine. I still have to do it manually but this is a relief because I can tow the boat again.

So now I think I pretty much concluded the sensors need to be adjusted. I think they got bent? We are taking the rear wheels off next week to examine them.

Ahhh progress.... feels good!

Keep us posted when you find the root cause.

dstinson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I feel like this is a support group of some nature, anyway my name is David and I too have an air ride problem. after reading this review from page one I went to the dealership and got my relay ($48), but I still have the "my compressor is not working" problem. EXTtodd suggested I put my comment\problem on the board to discuss. The dealership at one point told me they jumped the compressor to make sure it was working and it was. They aren't that helpful because my truck is lowered and the rods are bent in the rear (per directions from the kit I got). So anyway EXtTodd's next suggestion to me what was to put power to the compressor and see if I can get it to click on. Do I need to drop the compressor in order to put power directly to it, and do I just run a wire straight from the battery all the way to the back. And lastly will it click on if it senses its not low enough (from the weight). This is quite frustrating as I only drive the truck with my trailer and the rest of the time it sits in the garage, I just want my air ride to work.

PS I find this forum quite helpful at times, thanks everyone.

dstinson,

Read this from earlier in the thread:

I did what you said ewill3rd. You are correct, the compressor kicked on when we jumped red to red. So what we did was install a push button switch into the fuse block and t-spliced into the blue wire and grounded it at that support brace right above the fuse block housing. We concluded that the relay was good because we ran power and ground where red to red connects (@ pin 30 & 82) on the relay and it clicked (opened).

The ride control relay is located on the outside of the fuse block. So if you are looking at the fuse block from the driver side it is located on the far side, toward the engine. It's clipped to the outside of the plastic fuse block housing. Easy to find thanks to ewill of course.

Yeah, if you go back up and read (I know it sucks) there are good instructions on where to find the main relay and how to jumper accross it to activate the compressor.

dstinson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I found the relay (thanks to this post) and brought it with me to the dealership, I have part 12177235 (03 escalade) and that part number references another similar part number and I bought that. I jumped 87 & 30 (per the contacts on the relay) and I can see sparks but I do not hear a clicking. I used 2 wires holding a 30amp fuse in-between to make the contacts. So I wanted to see if the compressor would kick on if I gave it direct power, or is jumping it, giving it direct power? Will I hear the clicking from the engine bay or do I need to be right up to the compressor?
    thanks, one day before I die I will have this working

If it is sparking it might be working, you'll probably have to have someone back by the left rear wheel to hear whether or not the compressor is kicking on.
    Jumpering it should put power to the compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Ahhh progress.... feels good!

Keep us posted when you find the root cause.

Thanks ewill. You have been a great help to me. I feel like we're friends now...

Thanks, glad to help

I'll feel better when this is fixed for good.
    I am sure you will too... since it is your truck!

Now..... about that million dollars....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.