Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 16
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I will post my voltages from all the wires on the SCM below. It would appear that my rear level ...
    CaddyEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

I will post my voltages from all the wires on the SCM below. It would appear that my rear level sensors may be a problem(if I am reading things right) .51 volts and .67 volts, the pressure sensor is .41 volts with no air and .53 volts after I added about 20 seconds on the compressor manually. See my results below, the first number is no air and the second is once I added about 20 seconds from the compressor with my manual switch.

BLUE PLUG
    A1 PINK/WHT—1.011, 1.10
    A2 LTBRN/WHT.97, .90
    A3 PUR/WHT 4.97
    A4 LTBRN/WHT .95
    A5 GRN/WHT.67, .62
    A6 RED/BLK4.97
    A7 GRN/WHT.51
    A8 NOT USED
    A12 DRKBLU/WHT 0 VOLTS

B1 BRN --12 VOLT 11.4
    B2 LTBLU/BLK 0.04
    B3 PUR/WHT 4.97
    B4 LTBLU/BLK .04
    B5 GRN/BLK 4.97
    B6 RED/BLK 4.97
    B7 GRN/BLK .04
    B8 NOT USED
    B11 LTBRN .41, .53

PINK PLUG
    A1-A8 NOT USED
    A9 GREY 4.97
    A10 LTBLU 0 VOLTS
    A11 NOT USED
    A12 LTBLU/WHT 0.VOLTS

B1 BLU/WHT 0 VOLTS
    B2 WHT .12 .15
    B3 NOT USED
    B4 LTBLU .12, .15
    B5 DRKBLU 10.03, 10.14
    B6 GRN .11, .15
    B7 NOT USED
    B8 DRKBLU/WHT .43 -.6, VOLT FLUCTUATION
    B9 NOT USED
    B10 BLK .04
    B11 NOT USED
    B12 NOT USED

GREY PLUG
    A-LIGHTBLUE/WHITE 0 volts
    B-GREEN 0 volts
    C-BLACK 0.04 VOLTS
    D-ORANGE 11.3
    E-BLACK 0
    F-GREY 0
    G-GREY 0
    H-GREEN 0

I just don't understand the 5 volt reference lingo, and really don't know what to do with any of this voltage information. I also had access to a friends 2006 EXT and I swapped the SCMs and can confirm it will operate. I swapped them, and the problem stayed the same in my Escalade, but my SCM worked fine in his EXT with the air ride. So this should also eleminate the SCM as the problem as well. So far this is where I am at, replaced compressor with Arnott's, new OEM shocks, SCM, have no air leakage, installed a manual switch at the relay, Stud 1 and ign3 fuses are good, and there is no Service errors on the information centre. I have not checked the rear level sensors by the tires, but I am not sure what I am looking for. This is getting personal now, I must beat this!!

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Good job! Your manual switch at the relay provides ground to the blue wire coming from the SCM? Just want to make sure that's not part of the problem (faulty relay). The level sensors are easy to spot, inner wheel well there's a small metal rod attached to a variable rheostat. You can fool the SCM into thinking the back end is dropped to the floor by unsnapping the end of the rod and holding it in the up position with a piece of coat hanger. This should get the system going. If this doesnt work the exhaust solenoid should click when activated manually at the SCM plug (jump wire). Has this replacement compressor ever worked automatically? You WILL beat this!!

I also tried swapping the relays from my friends truck and that is also not the problem. My manual switch just connects the 2 larger wires that people jump. What wires do I jump for the exhaust solonoid at the SCM? Is there any other wires I can try jumping at the SCM to try and eliminate anything else? This new compressor has never worked manually, I just replaced it because of this problem with an Arnott one. As it would appear my old compressor is fine since the problem still remains. Thanks for your help, this is going to kill me.

sk7

I'm gonna have to go thru my notes on this one, but one thing I would try is check if the SCM sends a ground trigger at the relay. That would eliminate the solenoid issue. Easy to do with a regular test light. Wire is blue in color, but I think it was different on the EXT. After fixing the solenoid I could activate it at the plug on the compressor assembly. The other smaller wire on the relay should be brown as is switched accessory 12V.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. "check if the SCM sends a ground trigger at the relay. Easy to do with a regular test light." Forgive me but how do I do this? I have a test light and a volt meter.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7 View Post
    I'm gonna have to go thru my notes on this one, but one thing I would try is check if the SCM sends a ground trigger at the relay. That would eliminate the solenoid issue. Easy to do with a regular test light. Wire is blue in color, but I think it was different on the EXT. After fixing the solenoid I could activate it at the plug on the compressor assembly. The other smaller wire on the relay should be brown as is switched accessory 12V.
    I might have just found something. With the iginition on I do not have any power at the small brown accessory wire at the relay plug when the key is turned on. I just have constant power at the big wire. Phoned my buddy to check his and he gets power on the small brown wire at the relay plug when thyey key is turned on.

Oh, and yes I have checked and tested my ign3 fuse and also tested the wire at the scm, both are good with 12 volts.

sk7

Ok got my bundle of papers from the attic of the garage lol! I don't have the EXT wiring diagram tho, and I'm pretty sure the trigger wire for the relay from the SCM is a different color than the regular escalade. Anyways on your relay, one of the 2 smaller wires should have 12V when key is on. The other one will be the trigger (negative latched on-off) from the SCM. If there's no 12V to one of the smaller wires, ur on to sumthin! There's a small ALC fuse in the underhood fusebox, not sure if that one feeds power thru there. I'll have to check.

You can trigger the exhaust solenoid by applying ground to the Pink wire location B5 @ C2. When key on there should be a faint click heard. You can try on ur buddys truck if he's willing... If nothing happens check for power at the orange wire @ the compressor assembly. Its a contant 12V source no matter what. If there's no power there, check 30A fuse RTD underhood fuseblock. To check if the SCM does trigger the relay, put the alligator clip on the positive side of the battery, and insert tip of the test light under the socket of the relay so it makes contact with the wire (the one that's not getting 12V positive when key is on). Switching the key on (in my case I gotta hit the brakes sumtimes and shift outta park for the compressor to start working) the test light should illuminate to tell you the SCM is sending command for the compressor to start. That test clears the exhaust solenoid as the culprit! To be continued...

IT'S FIXED! After all that is ended up being that huge plug under the truck with all the SCM wires (by the back bumper on a regular Escalade) that was coroded real bad and full of dirt. I cut all the wires off (a few at a time) and removed that plug spliced them all together and bingo the compressor was awake!! Thank you sk7 your attention was greatly appreciated and got me determined. This has been going on for a while now and I was loosing my mind. I hope this can add another variable for people to check, and hopefully it helps someone else. What a great site.

sk7

Great news! I had also taken that one apart early on mine, took off the tape and checked all wires. Not the best spot for so many important wires and connectors! They were dirty and muddy but all ok. Good job u deserve a few cold ones!!!

wadman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade and 2004 Escalade

bump. i am going to need to find this thread tonight or tomorrow to fix mine.

sk7

Good luck and keep us posted on ur results!

xidino is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi, new member with the same problem. I read thru this post and got some idea to try to solve of not running compressor on my 05 escalade. I started by took of the relay, but i do not know which point to be sort to activate the compressor? There are 4 point; 30, 85, 86 and 87. which of those should be connected, is it 30 and 87?

sk7

Correct!

xidino is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Jumped with a wire, socket number 30 with 87, the compressor did not start.
    I jumped for only less than 5 second because the wire getting hot in my hand, cannot hold it.
    Is it ok if the wire become hot?Should i tried any longer?
    Thanks sk7 for ur reply.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.