Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 14
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Ok, I tried to jump the red to red, but nothing happened. I also put the test light on the ...
    hybridpower is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

Ok, I tried to jump the red to red, but nothing happened. I also put the test light on the jumper and I don't seem to have any power going from Red to Red; does this mean the unit is not calling for the compressor to be turned on?

A few other points. I do have power on the brown wire, and the red wire closest to the brown is grounded (will complete a circut with the test light). Given this, is there any reason to pull down the compressor, or is the system not trying to turn it on at all?

Thanks,

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

If you jumped the wire at the relay and it doesn't turn on, then your compressor is shot. $179 on eBay or on Arnotts website (you save shipping costs on ebay w/ free shipping). 30 mins of labor, very easy.

Even if I don't seem to have power at the red wires? Are they the power source or the trigger? I can put the test light on either red wire (after removing the relay) and not get the test light to come on. Only the brown wire has power?

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

The only way to know for sure is to just take the compressor down and test it...

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

You should have constant 12V power at the relay, if I recall correctly from Stud1 fuse. Maybe it was taken off? Brown will be on off 12V with accessories, light blue negative trigger from the SCM. If the fuse is shot, compressor is probably seized.

I have power at the 30 amp fuse in the block and I have Power on (what I assume) is the trigger wire on the relay when the key is on. What I don't have is power on either of the red wires. Can someone verify if they have power on the red wires? I have jumpered from red to red, with no result, but that would not produce a result (unless I misunderstand something) because I am not jumping any power to the compressor. Is there anouther fuse that supplies power to the red wires that might be blown?

If I pull the compressor to check it, how did you supply power? Did you jump to the plug, or directly to the compressor body? Did you use a battery, or can I do it with a trickle charger? I just don't want to burn up or damage something else.

Thanks guys.

sk7

Power at the relay is constant 12V, jumping the 2 big wires should make the compressor run. If there's no 12V at the relay and the fuse is good, something is wrong under the fusebox, you can then try to feed 12V from your fusebox to the compressor via the relay socket. Post some pics of what you've done-tested so far if possible.

Well, good news! I was taking photos to respond to Sk7, and what you said in your last post prompted me to check a few things. I pulled the fuse and what you said is correct; key on, or key off (or even "air" fuse out), the relay had 12v on the brown wire. But regardless of that, I had no voltage on the red wires. I let that sink in for a minute, and went in search for the lack of power on the red wires.

I hate to admit it, but it was a simple solution...a blown fuse. I got so caught up in looking for a "real" problem, that I ignored the simple solution. Changed the fuse, and the compressor fired right up.

Thanks again for everyone's help and input, I'm sure I'll be back with a "real" problem one of these days!

sk7

Good news thanxs for the update!

roboteacher is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've read this thread about 3 times and can't wait for my new compressor to come in. What a great thread.

cadomine03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

Thanks for all the great info,turns out the pump was bad.It would run when you by-passed the relay.When I installed a new relay there was no change and still a SRC in message center .I removed the pump assembly and when I opened up the dryer it was contaminated by moisture and the inside of the pump unit was severely oxidized.A call to Arnott $179.00 + an hours labor by me = one happy 'slade owner.Thanks again guys

erod03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Hello guys im new to this website and need help. My 2003 escalade air suspension compressor doesnt turn on and my light is on. i have gotten as far as checking all fuses and finding the relay under the fuse box. what should i do to find out if my compressor is bad without removing it from truck. what tools should i buy to make it a fast check and repair. thanks

sk7

Welcome! First thing I would try is jumping power at the motor thru the relay. If the compressor activates then its most likely the exhaust solenoid. If noting happens and stud 1 fuse is ok, you will need a new compressor. You need to take the unit off the truck for repairs either way. Easy nuff to do with basic handtools. Keep us posted!

erod03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by sk7 View Post
    Welcome! First thing I would try is jumping power at the motor thru the relay. If the compressor activates then its most likely the exhaust solenoid. If noting happens and stud 1 fuse is ok, you will need a new compressor. You need to take the unit off the truck for repairs either way. Easy nuff to do with basic handtools. Keep us posted!
    IDK if im doing it correct but i removed the relay by the Fuze box in engine. i ran a wire to the red wire to power and nothing. i also check the red wire before it connect to the compressor with fuse check light and it turns on. would this mean my compressor is bad. sorry if i ask the same question. i just want to know before i spend $$$$ to repair this. Thanks

sk7

At the relay socket, once the relay is removed, use a small lenght of 10GA wire to jump the 2 bigger wires together. If you got 12V power at the relay (with ignition off) means stud one fuse is good. If nothing happens check at the harness to the compressor for 12V power and also that ground is ok.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.