Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Yup, back to no problems (no "service ride control" message)! It feels like a brand new truck, I just get ...
    luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

Re: Answer the 1Million Question: Where is the air ride control relay located?

Yup, back to no problems (no "service ride control" message)! It feels like a brand new truck, I just get a weird feeling starting up the truck and seeing/knowing something is wrong. Im glad I fixed it. If you go with the arnott compressor you'll be happy to find out it runs much quieter than the stock compressor. 2 of the 3 torx bolts to get the compressor off the frame stripped so its strapped there with 4 zip ties until I get a chance to do a bolt extraction on them this weekend. They were rusted to the body pretty good.

You seem to be showing the same symptoms as my truck, I would bet its the same problem. Do the 02's even have a service ride control message system?

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Yes it does. I did manage to get the service ride control message after unpluggin all connectors from the SCM and turning the key to the on position. I got the message after the service stability system, ABS, check engine. Going down the highway with cruise control (adds a green light...), it feels like Xmas looking at the dashboard! I will attempt to put a load (control of 20/30A relay) on the output of the SCM to the exhaust solenoid tomorrow. See if that changes anything... Would it be correct to assume that the exhaust solenoid is for lowering the air pressure?

Glad you got all your current issues taken care of. If you plan on keeping your EXT for awhile, the investment in new shocks isnt that bad. Plus you did the work yourself, saved more than the value of the parts put on the truck right there!

sk7

Auto Level suspension now working! Just like Luxurylife, my exhaust solenoid was to blame. Here's how to fix it:

From a previous thread, there's 2 ways you can go about removing the compressor assembly. I've removed mine once by taking off the 3 13mm nuts and taking the assembly with frame off the truck. You can also remove the 3 torx T25 screws, but those are a pita to take off (jammed in rust). You don't need to remove the 13mm nuts completely, just unscrew a few turns, then a light knock on the bolt to loosen it, and you can slide the assembly up and out thru a notch. Nice touch... I've realized this upon reassembly as I was trying to manoeuver the compressor in place while being carefull not to knock the bolts back into the frame...

Compressor assembly still on truck with protective rubber blanket removed.

With the compressor on the bench, its a lot more convenient to get those T25's off without snapping em off. I admit I was a little more gentle on em then I would of normally since Lux broke off a few. After soaking em a bit in rustoff, I found that applying a bit of heat and SCREWING them made em move just a hair, enough to reapply rustoff, and patiently going back and forth till they come out. All 3 rubbers cushions were completly shot on my unit.

With the assembly removed, we can get to test the exhaust solenoid. Ground the frame, and apply +12V to the white wire -12V at the connector. I got no reaction whatsover in my case. Time to investigate further.

Solenoid comes off with 2 T15 torxs screws. Those are metal screws type, so just a little heat to the casing and they came right off. We can see where water came inside the casing thu the wires and messed up the unit.

To remove the solenoid from the holder, pry a little on the 4 tabs in the back, then take off the coil from the holder. Watch out for spring and piston in the center. Things were a bit rusty in there but no so bad...

Piston and spring:

I gently cleaned off all the rust with my dremel tool, cleaned and treated the top of the piston with rubber care (Wurth), re-assembled the solenoid holder and still nothing upon applying current to the unit... I dissassemled again, this time testing for any magnetic activity within the coil itself. Niet! I untaped the coil to get to the connections, then I found the problem: Broken wire caused by corrosion!

Fixed the broken wire, also did the other side as it was getting weak also. Cleaned the filter within the solenoid, reassembled everything with blue silicone. Reinstall and turn the key on. Doesnt work!! Huuum start the engine, still no go. After a few and a couple cold ones, I get to thinking maybe the truck needs to be outta park to activate the compressor? Sure nuff my little red light finally lit up by itself and compressor worked automatically! Yipee!

I now have about 50 pages of notes and data on the SCM and how it works, and all that for a broken coil wire on the solenoid! From my understanding this solenoid, once the coil is activated, recirculates the air from inside the compressor to ease starting the unit. Makes sense! This is why it kick on when the compressor is first activated, if it doesnt the system goes into no go mode. That also explains the rather large current draw at startup when we bypass the compressor at the relay. I'm still uncertain how exactly the SCM can tell if the solenoid is working or not? Once I figure it out, I will make a separate thread on how to diagnose the system.

Heck I deserve a few! Thanxs to all who helped!

WSLN 6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Wow, nice work! Thanks for the effort, time to go rip mine out as well....

sk7

Thanxs! Once the solenoid is functionnal, it really clicks on loudly so its easy to tell if the problem is there or not. Keep us posted!

This should definately be a "sticky" at the top of the page, info for the masses!

ESKY02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ESCALADE

Hey SK7, After testing and more testing i said forget it. Tonight i put the new compressor in and everything is fine!!! What a relief! I am going to order new shocks, they look ruff. The compressor had the Delco sticker and part number on it! I want those Blistens shocks, anyone have any input on those?

sk7

You got your truck back from the paint shop? That exhaust solenoid is sure the weak link in the auto level suspension system. Something to keep an eye on...

ESKY02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ESCALADE

Yah got it back a day ago. I was surprised how fast they did it.

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

I installed the rear bilsteins. I would say theyre better than the OEM ones, but my OEM's leaked and I dont know for how long. But they ride really nice. SK7, glad you figured out the problem! Did you still want that compressor? And also I realized there is an audible click about 1-2 seconds before the compressor kicks on... I guess that is the sensor .... glad you solved the problem! .... and maybe it might be something to further look into but my compressor activates in park....

Well, mine is fixed now as well! Exact same problem, blue wire lead broke really close to the windings, quite tricky to solder. I re-soldered both leads as they didn't ohm out properly, after all was done it was 21 ohms for the coil.
    My coil was a bit differen though.....it had a green o-ring lol.
    One other problem I found was that the short ground wire was open internally as well, even though it looked ok. Replaced, and all grounds were lovely again.
    Once you install the compressor again, don't forget the small spring retainer clip on the pressure side.... grgrgrgrgrgrgr pssssssssssssssssssh. Works much better when the line stays on lol.
    Thanks guys! Time to order some new shocks now I guess.

sk7

Glad to know! Good call on that ground wire, I also tho it looked suspiciously rusty... But it tested ok. System works great still, but compressor kicks on (I kept my red led in the dash to monitor compressor run status) always differently when taking off first drive of the day. Sometimes its as soon as I get into reverse, sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds before it goes, weird...

Just did the same fix to a friends 2005 Denali. Same problem, blue wire lead broke off. His setup was missing the ground wire completely. We added one just in case. Works great again!

EXT04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey SK7. I took the solenoid out and saw the 2 wires which seemed ok. I played around with the 1 wire, after moving it, it broke easily. So I decided to resoder both wires then I installed it back. It runs and no Service ride control yay. It drives like new again. Thank you very much. It's a free fix.

auberypn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade ext 2003

Hey guys,any added insight to what was already said,because i checked the right rear seat,no luck. Do you know if the 2003 has the same arrangement as the2002.Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.