Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ok seriously there were like 4 quarts of ATF in my transfer case, that came flying out when i took ...
    ESV_Platinum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum

Re: Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid.

ok seriously there were like 4 quarts of ATF in my transfer case, that came flying out when i took off the fill plug off.

Not too sure why so much was in there, or if the fact that I only put 2 quarts of ATF Dexron III in will hurt the transfer case *considering it is probably half the amount of fluid that was in there)

Going to call cadillac service tomorrow

Also, I can't believe how bad the fluid in the front and rear differentials were. the truck has 80k miles and the amount of metal shavings on the front diff drain plug was frightening to say the least

slidewayz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

So guys im sorry for sounding like a tard but honestly this is the best forum i could have joined according to cadillac dealers i need 1200 dollars in services and U joints, and stupid stuff from a "whining" and a "clunk"....so im gonna service everything myself.

If i gathered everything I need how many quarts of: synthetic gear lube 75W-90?

And how many of Dex VI?

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Hope this hasn't been asked before, but I was surprised nothing came up in the search.

Anyone used Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF or Mobil ATF D/M in the transfer case?

My owners manual states Dexron III meeting the, 'H' specification. Mobil's website shows both these fluids to meet Dexron III-H specification.

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

Hi all,
    First Thanks for posting this and any other posts concerning DIY maintenance, it has been a great help for me. I have had a whining noise coming from the front diff I think. This weekend I changed out the front diff fluid with Mobil1 75W90. The plug surprisingly didn't even look as bad as the one in the pictures, but still had some shavings on it and fluid was black almost grayish in color. It took a little less than 2 qts of the new. I drove right afterwards maybe about 2 miles, and it seemed to quiet the noise a little bit but it was slightly still there. Later in the day the noise seemed to be back in full force, well maybe a little less, but just as discouraging. Now I don't know if it is just regular gear noise I am hearing or my diff is shot. The only reason why I have not changed the TC, is because there is obviously alot of confusion about what to use. I am not the type of guy who is going to buy online and wait for the mail. I want to be able to go to the store and pick up what I need and use it. I am still waiting on clarification. The auto parts store has a ATF Dexron 6 that says it should be used, and the clerk there told me the same, but still kind of sceptical about that because most people do not really know, and it's not their truck so why would they care right?

Silver04 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 ESV

The auto parts store is correct. I just dumped my TC this past weekend and put 2 quarts in. My truck is an 04 and the owners manuel called for Dex III, which the Dex VI replaced. I double checked as well and it even says as much on the bottle.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali

Any vehicle that previously used DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use p/n 88861800 *88861801 in Canada) Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. And power steering systems should now use p/n 89020661 *89021183 in Canada) Power Steering Fluid.
    Manual Transmission Lubricant

By techarchive on August 1, 2006 8:34 PM| No Comments
    This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. *88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. *88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT┬ use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

- Thanks to Charles Krepp, TAC

Document ID# 1897292

Subject:Manual Transmission Fluid Usage In 2007 And Prior Manual Transmissions And Transfer Cases - keywords case fluid manual transmission transfer #PIP3836B - *02/05/2007)

Models:2007 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks
    2007 and Prior HUMMER H2
    2007 HUMMER H3
    2007 and Prior Saturn Passenger Cars and Trucks

This PI is superseded to add a note under concerns. Please discard PIP3836A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom*s) described in this PI.
    Condition/Concern:

Use of manual transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. *88861801 Canada) in place of Dexron III.

Important Note: If the vehicle owners manual lists Dexron VI as the recommended transmission, transaxle or transfer case fluid disregard any information supplied in this PI. Use eSI and or the vehicle owners manual to determine what type of fluid should be used prior to referencing the below information

Recommendation/Instructions:

Manual Transmission fluid part number 88861800 U.S. *88861801 Canada) is currently available through GMSPO. Current and past model vehicles listed above with either a manual transmission or transfer case that REQUIRE Dexron III should use the above listed manual transmission fluid. This fluid is a direct replacement for Dexron III in manual transmissions and transfer cases. DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of the manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases as a failure may result.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

William01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade ESV

like I said, and then we see something like this which makes you think???

zogg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

I suspect you do have some differential wear....changing the fluid will generally not "fix" is issue. I would guess a warn ring and pinion and maybe the bearings are warn, too. I had an explorer with a bad rear differential and replaced the fluid with 90/140....helped for a little bit, but the overhaul is what fixed it.

From what I ee here, it seems the front differentials are not a strong as they ought to be....lots of rebuilds. The dealer is real expensive. I found a really good young mechanic that is an expert on these things and he saved me over $1000....good luck

kippjones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 ESV & 2008 Escalade

I did my front diff and TC today. Piece of cake. I miss doing this work. Great weather today and was out in my driveway listening to some good tunes.

For the rear diff, I need to pull the cover, correct?

zogg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

Yep....some will say to only loosen it and pry open the bottom...I like to remove it and reach in and drag out all the goo in the bottom. What is the since of changing "most of it"...

C66 Racing is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V (sold)

Understand that some won't want to wait for the mail, but sometimes the wait may be worth it. AMSOIL makes two fluids suitable for Dexron III applications.

AMSOIL Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid *Product Code ATD1G)
    This is the fluid AMSOIL recommends for GM manual trannies that required Dexron III spec fluid. I used this for about a year in my 06 CTS-V before I sold it in 09, and have been using it in my 02 Corvette Z06 at the track for about five years now.

AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF *Product Code ATFQT)
    This is the fluid AMSOIL recommends for GM automatic trannies that required Dexron III spec fluid. I use this in my 03 Chevy Trailblazer *5.3L V-8).

I can get either of the above for forum members at dealer wholesale, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. AMSOIL has 11 distribution centers located around the country, so while shipping time varies, it is generally less than about four days from when I get the order. Drop me a PM if interested.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

That drain plug is a magnetic plug, and hopefully you can see, there is a lot of material stuck on there....

Just a tip, that mess you see on the drain plug likely is only a portion of the gunk in the bottom of the case.

I changed mine after purchase at 83K miles. I put the plug back in and removed it several times, each time the plug came out looking like it did the first time. After getting tired of screwing it in and out all those times I grabbed a magnetic pickup I had in my tool box and pulled about 20 times more that amount of metallic gunk in the bottom of the case.

I put in about 8 oz of axle lube in and let it rinse out some more from the bottom of the case before I buttoned it back up and filled it.

So after my fluid change the noise I heard in the front was noticeably louder. I wonder if the seller put something in there to quite the noise. Took it to my reputable dealer, $450 to open it and look at it, they said if I waited longer the repair would be significant. It appeared who ever worked on it before did not do a good job with a repair. They rebuilt the front diff * replaced all the bearings and such) out the door for $1400.00. All quiet now. I am happy.

Advice to you, if you hear a noise, get it in before a $1400 repair becomes a $3000 repair.

Key Programmer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hey Pat thanks for the very detailed post. I changed my front diff fluid this weekend and was amazed *and disgusted) as to how dirty that oil had gotten. The drain plug was exactly as you described, completely covered in shavings. After completely draining the case I replaced the drain plug and unscrewed it a second time, just to see if it picked up any remaining metal in there. Sure enough, it was completely covered again! I wiped it clean, and repeated this step about 10 more times. Even with an empty case, the magnetic plug was picking up those microscopic metal shavings everytime I screwed/unscrewed it. Was my differential abnormally dirty? I pumped 2 quarts of 75w-90 in and called it a day, but am tempted to change the oil again just to make sure I got everything out...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.