Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; You will have to remove the rear cover. Need a gasket before you do that though. Its the preferred method ...
    Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Re: Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid.

You will have to remove the rear cover. Need a gasket before you do that though. Its the preferred method to change the rear lube. There is a magnet attached to inside of cover that will collect metal debris and that should be cleaned as well.

Tip-refrain from using the so called - form-a-gasket in a tube. While is may seem cheap and easy, it take more time and effort to use. First you need to get one that is suitable for the intended use, the surfaces must be very clean and you must follow instructions to the letter. Gasket is way easier IMO..

jackjroadster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX

i thought form-a-gasket in a tube method is better..

ALAALDEAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ESCALADE EXT 05

first i would like to thank you all how gave info for changing oil .
    I would need help fixing a problem Iím having, I have escalade ext 05
    a changed the fluid's in front and rear diff with gm 80w90 oil and transfer case with autotrac 11
    after 2 weeks some noise a peered when i accelerate moor noise comes after that I went to see a mechanic who is suppose to be a professional in transmission and differential cases after hearing the sound he told me that I have don the biggest mistake by using gm 80w90 and that I should have used 75w90 and now I have to change all my differential cases ?????
    the car is working fine only that noise like whining when accelerate I canít believe that my differential cases are gone that easily please I need advise

Z71

They do require a synthetic gear lube, 75W-90 to be precise but the main reason for using synthetic is better fuel economy and better hot temp protection for the gears. 80W-90 could use 5% more fuel.

Its very doubtful the gear lube caused problems unless you let someone talk you into adding a posi additive to the rear axle? Are you sure the noise is from the drive train and not something else such as alternator?

I don't think anything is ruined, gear whine is very common.

Z71

Quote Originally Posted by jackjroadster View Post
    i thought form-a-gasket in a tube method is better..

Matter of opinion. It can be messy and if not done properly may leak. GM uses gaskets for a reason, liquid sealants do not have a good track record mainly because people do not follow the instructions for using it correctly, such as choosing the correct type for the lubricants involved or allowing time to cure before assembly, adding lubes and or driving.

Thanks for the quick response
    I took my car to a garage they lifted the car and tested by driving it on the air? they told me that the sound is coming from the rear shaft that goes to the diff and it’s most likely the rear diff but they can’t be 100% sure and regarding my oil change yes they did give me 2 small bottle as addition to the 80w90 they said it will reduce gear noise and it is important to add?? Is that the cause of my problem? Any help is appreciated

Z71

Those additives are for use in Limited Slip Differential which are installed in performance cars and anyone who told you to use that in your Escalade was misinformed. Drain it out ASAP
    Note-You may have to change the fluid several times to remove all that additive that has coated all the parts inside the locker or get them to flush it out good.

from a Bulletin

If a GM dealer parts people sold you on this then they are idiots and I would not give them the satisfaction of selling you more gear lube.

#PIP4054C: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns - keywords bind grab grind - (Aug 26, 2008)

Subject: Eaton Locking Differential Chatter Shudder Noise on Turns

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2000-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT

2002-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche

2004-2009 Chevrolet Colorado

2003-2009 Chevrolet Express

2000-2009 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2000-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado

2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2004-2009 GMC Canyon

2002-2009 GMC Envoy

2000-2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL

2000-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

2007-2009 GMC Sierra

2003-2009 GMC Savana

Equipped With a Locking Rear Differential RPO G80

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    Customers may comment on a chatter or shudder from the rear axle on vehicles equipped with an Eaton locking differential. This condition would be noticed in parking lot maneuvers, turning, or during locking differential engagement and may be more noticeable when the differential is hot. Locking differential clutch chatter may be causing this concern.

Note 1: This does not apply to vehicles equipped with RPO QS4 (Quadrasteer) which is part of option package NYS. Quadrasteer vehicles use Dana axles and have a different fluid requirement.

Note 2: This PI does not apply to vehicles equipped with a RPO G86 limited slip differential.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    If differential clutch chatter is encountered in a vehicle equipped with an Eaton locking differential, flush, drain and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. If the condition returns replace the rear differential clutch plates and refill the differential with new synthetic fluid, use the fluid part number listed in SI for the vehicle currently being worked on. Refer to eSI for clutch plate replacement and set up procedures.

Note 1: Eaton locking differentials used in 10.5" rear axles are equipped with steel clutch plates. It is a design characteristic of these steel clutch plates to exhibit more clutch chatter than other models.

***Important: Installing any friction modifier causes the clutch pack in the locking differential to slip and miss engagement. A fluid flush can often remove debris that is a contributor to clutch chatter. Adding friction modifier additive can cause a loss of locking differential functionality***

Hi a gain
    I can’t thank you enough for this information hope I’m not too late to do this.
    i'm going to darin it all,can i use wd40 to clean the gears?? or changing twice will do.

Z71

No DO NOT USE WD40 it will not clean but leave a residue behind. Use brake cleaner BUT be advised brake cleaner is extremely hazardous and if misused can cause DEATH or fire. If sprayed on hot surface or come in contact with flamecan turn to deadly poisonous gas such as Phosgene. USE IN WELL VENTILATED AREA and read the warning on the can, they will scare you.

I would be inclined to change it 2x. Change 1x, drive for a 100 miles and change again making sure you do a lot of turning to work the fluid into the G80. That should to it. If the noise goes away you know you solved the problem

Thank you very much for all the help and support, the best thing I have done is joining this forum and meeting people like u.
    Thanks again.

Z71

Your welcome, glad to be of help.

ESV_Platinum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum

Thank you for the writeup, this is a great forum with great members!!

So it has been a couple of years since this thread was created, and about a year since anyone has made recommendations regarding oil brands/types/weights.

What is the year 2011 general consensus for a 2004 ESV for Transmission, Transfer Case, Front Differential and Rear Differential? Do I have to use the amsoil products? (can't find them anywhere locally, dont want to wait for an online order)

carbonlaced is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

This is life saving since I've already had to have it rebuilt once already

Douglas Mariani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade

Thanks for the Info

enger126 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade

I just replaced the front diff fluid today thanks for all the info guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.