Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; i've been tracking this tread for a while and thanks for this diy! i have an '03 esv currently with ...
    03whiteesv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 white diamond esv

Re: Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid.

i've been tracking this tread for a while and thanks for this diy! i have an '03 esv currently with 92k. front and back differentials were serviced at 50k and i did a diy together with the transfer case at 75k. i noticed the infamous grinding noise last winter from a skiing trip. replaced the oil on the front diff and now it's quieted.

i'm up to a 3500 roadtrip from cali to tx and back this july. i'm planning to do another front and back diff oil change and try mobil 1 75w140 this time. also, will be changing transfer case and tranny oil!

seems like the failure on this is inevitable! i might just be buying time... anyone know gm's warranty policy on these? thanks...

05DiamondS'clade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Hey Pat thanks for the very detailed post. I changed my front diff fluid this weekend and was amazed *and disgusted) as to how dirty that oil had gotten. The drain plug was exactly as you described, completely covered in shavings. After completely draining the case I replaced the drain plug and unscrewed it a second time, just to see if it picked up any remaining metal in there. Sure enough, it was completely covered again! I wiped it clean, and repeated this step about 10 more times. Even with an empty case, the magnetic plug was picking up those microscopic metal shavings everytime I screwed/unscrewed it. Was my differential abnormally dirty? I pumped 2 quarts of 75w-90 in and called it a day, but am tempted to change the oil again just to make sure I got everything out...

d3adpool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

does anyone know or have any idea if the amsoil synthetic gear oil is just as good as the autotrak II? From what i've gathered it seems as if many had to change the diff/transfer case fluids more often with the amsoil or the amsoil seemed to get dirty quicker.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

If your transfer case calls for AUOTRAC II then that's all you should use. AMSOIL does not make a product to use in place of AUTOTRAC II.

DO NOT PUT GEAR LUBE IN A TRANSFER CASE. The transfer case depending on model and year will take Autotrac II fluid or Auto Trans Fluid. but never gear lube.

As for AMSOIL gear lubes getting dirty faster, no they do not.

d3adpool is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

what does the factory put in the front and rear diff?? surely it isn't amsoil.

Z71

75W-90 synthetic gear lube.

No, its not AMSOIL. Who knows what it is? Some will tell you its this or its that but each plant likely sources from a different supplier and you know they are shopping for the lowest price.

The fact is that GM, like so many other OEM's, contract with one or more oil companies to supply their lubricants. Often, the decision as to who actually gets the contract is based on low bid, and like almost everything manufactured by a low bidder, short cuts are taken in order to meet the low price

agapeEscalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Thanks for the post!

hamkan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade ESV Platinim Ed

Great work guys, this forum is the best place for newbies like me

I'll appreciate if someone can help me with figuring out the different kinds of oils I need for my 2004 Escalade ESV.

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
    Differentials -
    Transfer Case -

Can you please tell me exactly how much oil and of which kind will I need for each and also the brand I should use. In addition since I just purchased the truck *with 48000 miles) do you recommend anything else I should do on it.

I'll really appreciate your help, new to the caddy world and little scared and confused *also thinking about buying an extended warranty although don't want to).

Thanks,

Hamkan

Quote Originally Posted by hamkan View Post
    I'll appreciate if someone can help me with figuring out the different kinds of oils I need for my 2004 Escalade ESV.

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
    Differentials -
    Transfer Case -

Can you please tell me exactly how much oil and of which kind will I need for each and also the brand I should use. In addition since I just purchased the truck *with 48000 miles) do you recommend anything else I should do on it.

I'll really appreciate your help, new to the caddy world and little scared and confused *also thinking about buying an extended warranty although don't want to).

Thanks,

Hamkan
    Anyone, I'll appreciate the help

eurocarman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV

I would like to know where you found these numbers? I knew when I saw RedLine on the wrong end of the list there was a problem.
    75w90 Red Line is 65,900cP I assume you were talking low temperature viscosity *Centipoise=cP) correct?

Quote Originally Posted by oldworld View Post
    Heres some info on brookfield viscosity between brands. NOTE: Less number is better: ALL ARE SYNTHETIC 75W90
    Amsoil severe Gear 68,150
    Pennzoil 85,000
    Mobil 1 85,560
    GM Syn Axel 93,730
    Mopar with LS 101,350
    Valvoline Synpower 102,500
    Castrol Syntec 149,850
    ******************************************* CUTOFF HERE MAX ALLOWABLE IS 150,000. Anything below is not to be used.
    Red Line 164,100
    Royal Purple Max 389,500
    LUCAS 200,000 plus

There goes my lucas idea.....lol
    My mechanic uses Pennzoil, so I am cool with the choice. I will however now change the fliud myself every year.

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
    Differentials -
    Transfer Case -

Thanks,

Hamkan
    At 48K miles I would wait for the tranny, unless you know it was under severe duty. But the TC and diffs is a good investment. Best place for the type & quantity of oil needed is in the owners manual. As for brand its up to you. I would recommend going synthetic for the front diff, as it is a weak area. Now that you found this forum you forget about buying an extended warranty! Keep us posted.

Z71

I'll be changing the

Transmission -
    Differentials -
    Transfer Case -

Thanks,

Hamkan

2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE ESV 6.0L 8-cyl Engine Code [N]

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........6.1 quarts [1]
    Cooling System, Initial Fill..........16 quarts
    Automatic Transmission, 4L65-E Initial Fill..........5 quarts<---just dropping pan
    Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
    4 speed 4L65-E..........11.3 quarts
    Differential, With 8.25 RingGear Front..........3 pints
    Differential, With 9.25 RingGear Front..........3.2 pints
    Differential, With 10.50 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints
    Differential, With 11.50 RingGear Rear..........7.7 pints
    Differential, With 8.60 RingGear Rear..........4.3 pints
    Differential, With 9.50 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints
    Transfer Case, BW 4481-NR3..........3 pints
    Transfer Case, BW 4482-NR4..........3 pints
    [1] After refill check oil level.

TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug.....18 ft/lbs
    Transfer Case
    Fill Plug 18 ft/lbs
    Drain Plug 18 ft/lbs

Here are the AMSOIL Lubricant to use... *product codes)
    Transmission -
    Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid *ATLQT)

Front/Rear Differentials -
    Severe Gear 75W-90 Gear Lube *SVGQT)

Transfer Case -
    Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid *ATLQT)

Find this information by following this link & looking up your vehicle*s): --->
    LOOKUP GUIDE

Thanks sk7 and Z71 for your help!

I changed the front diff and transfer case today, couldn't open the bolts on the rear diff to drain the oil, any suggestions on how to open them???

Will do the transmission flush tomorrow

And thanks of course to OP for a very nice write up!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.