Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    The Factory Man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Chev Silverado Crew Cab

Re: Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid.

The following information is from the May 2007 issue of Tech-Link which is sent to all GM Dealer Service Departments each month. Read it and make your own decision! Notice what it says about un-licensed products. DEXRON is a registered trade mark and for someone to produce it means that they pay a licenseing fee and have to produce a product that meets the manufacturers specs. There is lots of money in it for the lubrication producers. GM owns the specs to DEXRON III and since they are no longer issuing licenses, no one can produce a DEXRON III fluid. Are you going to take a chance on a questionable product? Not me!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Motors
    DEXRON®-VI
    Global Service-Fill Specification

figure 1

In early 2005, General Motors released a newly developed automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for the factory fill of all GM Powertrain stepped-gear automatic transmissions. The new fluid provides significantly improved performance in terms of friction durability, viscosity stability, aeration and foam control and oxidation resistance. In addition, the fluid has the potential to enable improved fuel economy and extended drain intervals. Because the performance of the new fluid far exceeded that of the DEXRON-III service-fill fluids available at the time, it became necessary to upgrade the DEXRON service-fill specification in order to ensure that similar fluids were available in the market for service situations. This latest upgrade to the service- fill specification is designated DEXRON-VI (fig. 1).

Since General Motors introduced the first ATF service-fill specification in 1949, it has been necessary to upgrade the specification periodically.

The upgrading process ensures that available service-fill fluids are of an appropriate quality for use in transmissions that have been designed around the factory-fill fluid performance.

TIP: As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. More importantly, earlier type fluids are not forward compatible with transmission hardware that was designed to use DEXRON-VI fluid.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All current calibrations and certification tests are now conducted with DEXRON-VI ATF. DEXRON-III fluids should not be used for those applications where the owner manual recommends the use of DEXRON-VI.

TIP: GM does not license or support obsolete ATF specifications or the use of fluids that are being marketed against cancelled specifications.

All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, GM will support only DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Avoid fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as “suitable for use in
    DEXRON-III applications” or similar wording. DEXRON-VI licensed fluids are fully backward compatible and can be used in all applications covered by earlier GM ATF specifications.

The use of unlicensed fluids and/or non-GM approved aftermarket additives may prove detrimental to transmission performance and void warranty coverage.

- Thanks to Angela Willis

Precaution: DEXRON-VI in Manual Transmissions

When DEXRON-III is indicated as the fluid fill for manual transmissions and transfer cases, DO NOT use DEXRON-VI. Instead, use GM Manual Transmission Fluid p/n 88861800 in these components.

TIP: Refer to PIP3836B (Feb. 2007).

If the manual transmission or transfer case indicates use of DEXRON-VI, then, of course, it should be used.

Purging Equipment

Before filling your bulk fluid equipment with DEXRON-VI, be sure to purge the old oil from it.

Also, be sure to purge your J-45096 Transflow machine before using it with DEXRON-VI.

whosurpopi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just got done putting in mobile one in the front diff in an 04 ext, and it only took two quarts before it started to spill back out of the fill hole. I am worried because the only other number i saw was 2 1/2 quarts. I am I alright?

If you completely drained it and now it is spilling back out the fill hole, it's full! If I recall correctly, mine took right at 2 quarts.

whosurpopi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks. I put in the entire two quarts, and as I was pulliing out the second quart, ready to put in the third, the fluid was coming out. Not alot, but steady. It feels great to get that black crude out of the diff.

kihon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Today, I completed this service. I was surprised how easy it was to do this.

DemetriusESV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ESV

Ok now guys, im going to the store tomorrow to pick up amsoil server gear oil 75w90 for my front and rear diffs... wasnt to clear on what I should get for my tranny... dexron 6 castrol? or the amsoil stuff, if so which one? For the transfer case Dexron 3 or amsoil? again if amsoil which one? I have an 05 ESV of course awd with all options.. That torque drive synthetic lingo is throwing me off.. can someone clear this up? Thanks!!!! I'm having that same whinning noise in the front but when I purchased the truck I had the front bearings and diff re-done.. Now I see that these oils should be changed regularly and this was done about 10k miles ago so it might be time.. Any clue what I should do?

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Torque Drive is a trade mark name for a AMSOIL Dexron III HD ATF designed for use in Allison transmissions in trucks and buses etc. While it could be used, its a HD ATF with a higher viscosity rating and the smallest size in comes in is gallons while the other products below come in qts and up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The codes in (ATL) are the product codes. If you are buying in person look for them on rear of bottle at bar code.

For the transmission, use this AMSOIL ATF (ATL) This product is designed as Dexron VI. Dexron VI are not recommended (by GM) for use in older transfer cases, only 2007 models up. Its compatible with Dexron III in your trans.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the transfer case use this AMSOIL ATF (ATF) This product is a Dexron III

You can check out this link to find more information on these Auto Trans Fluids----> Transmission Fluids

Btw - The 75W-90 Severe Gear Lube is the best AMSOIL has and should be good for many miles. I have over 25,000 miles on it in my 2008 GMC and I don't plan on changing it anytime soon if ever. I have used AMSOIL for over 30 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by DemetriusESV View Post
    Ok now guys, im going to the store tomorrow to pick up amsoil server gear oil 75w90 for my front and rear diffs... wasnt to clear on what I should get for my tranny... dexron 6 castrol? or the amsoil stuff, if so which one? For the transfer case Dexron 3 or amsoil? again if amsoil which one? I have an 05 ESV of course awd with all options.. That torque drive synthetic lingo is throwing me off.. can someone clear this up? Thanks!!!! I'm having that same whinning noise in the front but when I purchased the truck I had the front bearings and diff re-done.. Now I see that these oils should be changed regularly and this was done about 10k miles ago so it might be time.. Any clue what I should do?
    Dexron VI is far superior than Dexron III and should be used in any GM Automatic transmission that origionally used Dexron III. Fot the transfer case the lube can be very specific and I suggest a trip to your GM dealer for the latest fluid. Your Owners Manual will list a fluid, ask the dealer if there has been an update to the part number. GM does not license anyone to produce a Dexron III fluid and hasn't since 2006. If you get a fluid labeled Dexron III you can't be sure it meets the Dexron III spec as issued by GM.

DemetriusESV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ESV

Thanks everyone for your help!

McLovin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade EXT Supercharged & 2003 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by The Factory Man View Post
    Dexron VI is far superior than Dexron III and should be used in any GM Automatic transmission that origionally used Dexron III. Fot the transfer case the lube can be very specific and I suggest a trip to your GM dealer for the latest fluid. Your Owners Manual will list a fluid, ask the dealer if there has been an update to the part number. GM does not license anyone to produce a Dexron III fluid and hasn't since 2006. If you get a fluid labeled Dexron III you can't be sure it meets the Dexron III spec as issued by GM.
    Just to post a quick update on this.Went to Cadillac dealer and had them look up the transfer case fluid and the part number is Dextron IV, this is the recommended fluid. the owners manual says Destron III with H specification, and the back of the AC delco Dextron IV says it meets H specification Dextron III.

Z71

from GM service news

TIP: Any vehicle that previously used DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use p/n 88861800 (88861801 in Canada) Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. And power steering systems should now use p/n 89020661 (89021183 in Canada) Power Steering Fluid.

TIP: Since some early bulletins were issued, further validation has taken place and certain transfer cases and manual transmissions now DO use DEXRON-VI, so it's important to refer to the owner manual for appropriate recommendations.
    more info from GM

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

- Thanks to Charles Krepp, TAC
    My 2008 GMC (GMT900) takes Dexron VI spec and a friends 2007 Chevy Classic Duramax takes Dexron IIIH spec. He called the Chevy dealer just 2 weeks ago and they told him DO NOT USE Dexron VI. I know this because he was using my phone to make the call and he used my shop to do the change.

PS-He already has 100,000 miles on his truck!

McLovin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 Escalade EXT Supercharged & 2003 Escalade

I will bring this info to my dealer to ask again. I have already changed the fluid, so I am a bit concerned. As far as the transmission goes, the 2003 Escalade manual says to use Dextron III and the 2006 Escalade manual says to use Dextron IV. Now I believe the transmissions are the same from 03-06, so what manual is correct?

Z71

I am pretty sure though that the TC in an 03 Escy is not the same as in a 2007 Chevy K2500HD. Also, Dexron VI did not exist in 2003 so it could not be shown in the manual. Dexron VI did not become factory fill till the 2006 model.

This change has caused a lot of confusion with dealers and you are likely to get conflicting info because most of them just don't pay attention to these details all the time and may make assumptions based on limited knowledge. Lots of service people are saying using Dexron VI for everything that once used Dexron IIIH but they may not be aware of the limitations in transfer cases and manual transmissions.

TIP: Since some early bulletins were issued, further validation has taken place and certain transfer cases and manual transmissions now DO use DEXRON-VI, so it's important to refer to the owner manual for appropriate recommendations.
    When you talk to your dealer service ask them to show you in writing because everything I read contradicts the use of Dexron VI in TC that call for Dexron IIIH. Here is a link to service info that might shed more info You will find the quotes I refer to in these issues.

While you say the TC may not have changed from 2003 to 2006 you really don't know as it could be something as simple as seals that are not compatible with the Dexron VI.

kycop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum Edition

thanks z71 I have ordered all amsoil sythetics and when they arrive I will be draining and replacing all lubes...

Oil cleaner stuff and oil and filters will be next purchase.. But.. I will have to wait a bit....I hope this stuff is good. Its not cheap,, but then again neither is a transfer case or fron and rear end and tranny for a escalade..

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

A brief update on the Mobil 1 75w140 Light truck/suv formula gear case lube.

16k miles has gone by since I put that in the front diff....

Changed it about a month ago. Came out CLEAN. NO shavings on drain plug.

So, for me personally, the Mobil 1 75w140 is all that is going in the front diff from now on....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.