Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a 05 escalade esv platinum, i am wanting to change all fluids front, rear, trans, etc does anyone ...
    kycop is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade ESV Platinum Edition

Re: Front Diff, Transfer Case, how to change fluid.

I have a 05 escalade esv platinum, i am wanting
    to change all fluids front, rear, trans, etc does anyone
    know the best fluids to use, i saw royal purple something at local
    auto parts place but.... Scared to change cayse not positive
    bout what to use . Any one out thete have a positove answer

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Just a word of caution when changing out the transfer case. If is calls for Dexron III DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of that.

This information applies to 2007 and prior GM passenger cars and trucks.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

Z71

Quote Originally Posted by kycop View Post
    I have a 05 escalade esv platinum, i am wanting
    to change all fluids front, rear, trans, etc does anyone
    know the best fluids to use, i saw royal purple something at local
    auto parts place but.... Scared to change cayse not positive
    bout what to use . Any one out thete have a positove answer
    Yes, I know exactly what to use.....PM me for details on how much you need in each hole etc.

Front and rear differentials - Use 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
    Transmission - Use Dexron VI
    Transfer Case - Use Dexron III

I recommend AMSOIL Synthetic's, IMO they are the best.

For more info on exactly how much you need and exactly the correct products you can PM and I will figure it out. Don't want to waste my time if you already have done this.

Mike
    2009 CTS4
    2008 GMC Sierra Z71 EC

oldworld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS

Heres some info on brookfield viscosity between brands. NOTE: Less number is better: ALL ARE SYNTHETIC 75W90
    Amsoil severe Gear 68,150
    Pennzoil 85,000
    Mobil 1 85,560
    GM Syn Axel 93,730
    Mopar with LS 101,350
    Valvoline Synpower 102,500
    Castrol Syntec 149,850
    ******************************************* CUTOFF HERE MAX ALLOWABLE IS 150,000. Anything below is not to be used.
    Red Line 164,100
    Royal Purple Max 389,500
    LUCAS 200,000 plus

There goes my lucas idea.....lol
    My mechanic uses Pennzoil, so I am cool with the choice. I will however now change the fliud myself every year.

pcguy760 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 02 Diamond White Pearl Escalade - Sold 10/11

Z71, I was told by the autoparts store that Dexron VI replaced Dexron III and Dexron III was obselete! So I used VI in the T. Case!!! Am I in trouble??

So far this is my oil changes and what I have used ...

Front and Rear Diff - Mobil1 75W90 (I am kinda confused on this now as I saw another post from the OP saying that he NOW used 75W140 for the front diff!! So WHICH is it?????!!)
    Transmission - Dexron VI with 1 bottle Lucas Transmission treatment.
    Transfer Case - Dexron VI

This is an 02 AWD 6.0L Base model btw.

Z71

That's true that Dexron VI replaced Dexron III BUT only in transmissions, NOT in transfer case or manual transmissions UNLESS its so specified in your owners manual.

Here is a pic of the label on the back of a GM bottle of Dexron VI

Read this GM service information, it taken from a monthly service new magazine. I high lighted the pertain part in Red The primary reason its not recommended is because it was never tested in all those applications because GM does not make those, they come from vendors. Is it safe to use?? Don't know but GM claims damage may result. Likely from the additives (chemicals) in the new Dexron VI that was never in the old Dexron III. That could eat seals, corrode soft metals etc. I would not risk it, get the GM fluid, Dexron III and don't use any additives in it like Lucas. Not needed and a waste of money, BUY quality ATF instead of buying low quality and beefing it up with additives.

Dexron III is being phased out as a product name. It is being renamed Manual Transmission Fluid and carries p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada).

If fluid p/n 88861800 U.S. (88861801 Canada) is not yet available when servicing a manual transmission or transfer case, Dexron III can be used in its place.

DO NOT use Dexron VI in place of manual transmission fluid in any manual transmissions or transfer cases that specify Dexron III, as a failure may result.

- Thanks to Charles Krepp, TAC
    Does it say in your owners manual to use Dexron III (or ATF) in the transfer case or does it say to use some other GM product?? Some Cadillac AWD Transfer cases require a lube that is only available from GM. NO other company makes it. My info suggests this is the case in your 2002. Again, its not what the fluid looks like or performs BUT the chemical makeup of the fluid that can be the problem.

NO, 75W-140 is not required for the front differential. 75W-90 Synthetic is all that is needed.

PS - I own a 2009 CTS4 and a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71 E. Cab SLT and have owned GM trucks for over 20 yrs

So they DO still sell Dexron III then? I guess I need to change the T. Case oil asap then since it has the Dexron VI in it

Patrick7997 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 ESC, 2004 Escalade, 2007 HD Road King Classic

You could also use the blue colored transfer case fluid in that case, but it's expensive.

I went to 75w140 because this truck is hard on front diffs.... and I'm hoping not to have to replace it again, because this time it won't be under warranty,,,

Z71

fyi

AMSOIL has a 75W-110 gear lube that will give you the extra viscosity protection without affecting fuel mileage Synthetic 75W-110 Server Gear Lube

I have changed a lot of front and rear differentials on these GM trucks over the years and every time what I drain out looks terrible. I would never leave the oem lube in there past the original 10,000 miles. I think they use the lowest quality gear lube they can buy. The limited Slip rear differential in my 2005 CTS was clunking at 200 miles. They replaced the lube and it stopped for about 500 miles and then returned. I got some AMSOIL Severe gear and made the dealer install it for me. I never heard the rear end clunking again and I never changed it again. When my 2008 GMC had 1,100 miles I had a local trans shop change everything to synthetic, both axles, transfer case and trans. Should be safe for 100,000 miles and beyond. Catch it early before the oem lube has a chance to destroy it.

box986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

On the Amsoil website, they suggest the following replacement fluid for the transfer case:

Transfer Case,W/ Other TRC......GLS [4]
    Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)
    Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)
    Transfer Case,W/ Nvelec TRC......SLF [5]
    No AMSOIL Product Recommendation

Would my 03 EXT have a Nvelec or "other" TRC?

Here is the link showing all recommended Amsoil replacement fluids & capacities for an '03: http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...CALADE%20EXT+1

Z71

I have done some checking and it appears the correct fluid is a Dexron III product like the AMSOIL ATD Torque Drive or the ATF Auto Trans Fluid.

Your should be able to confirm by going to page 6-13 of your owners manual

Just do not use the Dexron VI versions as they have not been validated (tested for component compatibility) in that year.

The ATD only come is gallons so the best choice is Automatic Transmission Fluid

The Factory Man is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Chev Silverado Crew Cab

Quote Originally Posted by pcguy760 View Post
    So they DO still sell Dexron III then? I guess I need to change the T. Case oil asap then since it has the Dexron VI in it
    GM has not issued a license for anyone to produce a spec. Dexron III since 2006. If you find a product that was recently produced that says Dexron III you need to understand that it may not meet GM specs for Dexron III. Dexron VI replaces Dexron III in GM automatic transmissions that were speced for Dexron III.

Z71

This info comes from GM...........

- Thanks to Charles Krepp, TAC

Ok, Z71 I am confused now cos how come Factory Man says otherwise - just wondering... btw, how much is the stuff that the Caddy dealer sells FOR the Transfer Case??

Z71

Its possible he is not even aware of that service info. If you doubt my info, check out the source
    <Source>

To get GM's approval for anything requires you to pay them a fee and royalties on every gallon of lubricant you sell. So when you see someone say its been approved by GM, it means that GM makes money every time you buy one of those products. Also, just because a lube is not GM approved in no indication its bad for the application. It just means they have not been willing to pay GM for the right to be on the approved list. And naturally GM wants everyone to think that anything not on their approved list is no good for their GM vehicle. They have a monetary reason for you to think that.

I have no idea the exact cost as every dealer is likely to price it differently. I have heard prices anywhere from $6 to $20 a qt depending where you buy it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.