a couple more cleaning questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, a couple more cleaning questions in Cadillac Escalade Forums; sorry if i'm starting to ask to many questions, but today was the first time i washed my truck and ...
    T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

a couple more cleaning questions

sorry if i'm starting to ask to many questions, but today was the first time i washed my truck and i want to make sure i don't do something wrong right away.

what do you use to clean the exhaust tip?? and do you guys have anything that is fairly easy to use, but doesn't require hosing off, wheel cleaner??

also, what do you use to clean the windows? in the past i've only used soap and water but these windows (like the sunroof) has some spots. i used the invisible glass cleaner and it did a pretty good job, but didn't get all the spots off the sunroof.

thank you for any help you could provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: a couple more cleaning questions

Quote Originally Posted by T_Dogg8
    sorry if i'm starting to ask to many questions, but today was the first time i washed my truck and i want to make sure i don't do something wrong right away.

what do you use to clean the exhaust tip?? and do you guys have anything that is fairly easy to use, but doesn't require hosing off, wheel cleaner??

also, what do you use to clean the windows? in the past i've only used soap and water but these windows (like the sunroof) has some spots. i used the invisible glass cleaner and it did a pretty good job, but didn't get all the spots off the sunroof.

thank you for any help you could provide.

I use wool soap pads for my ss exhaust, if they are real dirty I use a steel wool, pad first. I keep my wheels waxed so clean up is simple, I do not like spray wheel cleaners because many contain acid. I use Invisible Glass window cleaner, for acid etched or water spotted glass use a glass polish, Zaino makes one as do several other manufacturer.

thanks man....you've been a big help.

i still have the stock wheels, any ideas on the best way to keep them clean?

Stock chrome or standard? I would care for them the same, you can clay them if they get real dirty, but just wax them when you wax your truck, that will keep them looking good and they will be easier to keep clean

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    Stock chrome or standard? I would care for them the same, you can clay them if they get real dirty, but just wax them when you wax your truck, that will keep them looking good and they will be easier to keep clean
    I have the stock exhaust tip and use a briste brush with detergent to clean it when it is really dirty. I used to had the stock wheels, which I always kept clean waxing them, and then using chrome polish the NevrDull product, aviable in your local pepboys or autozone. Since I upgraded my stock polished wheels to the stock chrome wheels I use the same cleaning procedure, but more often.

Hope this helps,

Mejia

my exhaust tip is really dirty and oxidized. i'm not sure if the previous owner ever did anything to keep it clean. i'm afraid to do something to aggressive because i don't want to scratch it, but it needs cleaned before i can polish it. what should i do or what type of brush should i use and not risk scratching it?

02BlkEXT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Can you wax any wheels I have chrome giovanni wheels and they are hard to keep clean but the guy at the wheel shop said never use anything but soap and water to clean. Can I safely clay and wax them? If so any specific kind of wax and or clay?

TheBehemoth is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Using a wax on a wheel is like trying to ice skate up hill.

The reason i say that is due to the fact that most carnuba based waxes have such a low melting point, that it seems pointless to try and "wax" the wheels since the brakes are going to generate so much heat that the wax doesnt stand a chance. The reason that waxes need to be constantly reapplied is due to the fact that they are subjected to the elements, and with the temps that i see most wheels getting to, i wouldnt bother with a wax.

As far as cleaning goes, P21s is the best gel wheel cleaner that i have found. It does not contain any acidic elements and washes off nicely. It does require hosing off however. Other then P21s you can just use a bucket of soap and water, with a little elbow grease, and it should clean up the wheels nicely.

For windows, i wouldnt use more then water or maybe some light water/vinegar. You have to be careful with most "window cleaners" since they contain alcohol of some sort. If that alcohol comes in contact with rubber, ie, door seams, window seals, it will cause them to dry out. Trust me on this, get a viper towel.

That is true of carnauba waxes, synthetic waxes are a much better choice on wheels, most synthetic are good to several hundred degrees, and some protect to over 500 degrees. Microfiber towels are great on glass.

my back windows and sunroof have what looks like water spots on them even after i've cleaned them a few times. what is causing that and what could i do to fix it??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.