'03 Escalade intermittently won't start!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, '03 Escalade intermittently won't start! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hi, I have an '03 Escalade that intermittently won't start. It just started doing this in the last week. I ...
    schoony99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

'03 Escalade intermittently won't start!

Hi,

I have an '03 Escalade that intermittently won't start. It just started doing this in the last week. I was at the gas station and shut off the vehicle to fill up and when I got back in and tried to start it up it wouldn't crank. All lights and chimes were going, just no crank. I tried everything I could think of and then quit trying and spent approx. 30 minutes reading through the manual... after which I tried again and it started right up.

It has done this to me three times now and I am afraid to drive it anywhere.

I have read through other posts and have tried everything I could find. I checked the fuel pump fuses and they were all okay, I ordered a new ignition switch and installed it this evening, however the vehicle still won't start. I'm guessing if I let it sit for a couple hours it will start right up though.

Is there possibly a faulty security sensor or something? I used to drive an Alero for work and it had a faulty security system that twice did pretty much the same thing. It just wouldn't start for 30 minutes after it tripped. Anyone heard of anything like this on an Escalade? Any help is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

canadiantowman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: '03 Escalade intermittently won't start!

this happened to a friend of mine and it was his starter wires,but he did have to replace the starter

ZX_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade

have you checked battery voltage by chance? My girlfriend was having similar issues with her 03, I put my volt meter on it and it read 10.5. Needless to say I changed it out last week and no more issue. With the truck off batt voltage should be in the area of 12.2-12.5 with the vehicle on in the area of 14.0-14.5.

Walter

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

It could be a cell starting to go in the battery, as said above have it checked.

Boombotz is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 Escalade, 06 SRX

Check for corrosion or loose battery terminals.

DaveH28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 Black CTS-V & 09 Black Escalade Luxury

What does it do when it does not crank? You said all the lights, etc still work..

Does it click once? Click at all? Click repeatedly? I would check to make sure your battery cables are tight and corrosion free as suggested earlier, but other than that I would doubt it is a battery issue.. I believe the security setup on these trucks will cut the fuel off which will cause allow the vehicle to crank but not start - not what you are experiencing..

Depending on if it clicks or not you may have a starter on its way...

lander14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

Did you ever solve the problem? I am having the same issue and am curious if you were able to fix your issue?

Nate

Devil Dog 00026 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 White Diamond Escalade

Don't forget the fuel pump... this happened to my son in laws 1999 Tahoe... quits or will not start. Let it sit for a couple of hours and it starts just fine until everything warms up... dealer replaced the fuel pump... solved the problem.

lander14 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade AWD

Thanks -- the Dealer checked the pump and said it was fine. I read on some other posts that the crank sensor can go bad -- I am going to have that checked tomorrow so hopefully that is the problem. Or else I guess there are just gremlins in the electrical system

03Slade is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Our 03 is doing the same exact thing!! Happened twice within two weeks.

Thanks

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

The Alero was pretty notorious for Passlock 2 problems, just like the 1st generation malibu. Check for the security message to appear in the info window when cranking. If its there ur stuck! If not problem may be elsewhere. I doubt the crank sensor tho, as this is vital for the engine to run, if would show other issues while the engine is running and not only upon startup. Would be interesting to know if there is a click at the starter, or nothing at all?

I don't think there is a click - just nothing. It starts now so I can't check for sure!! We found this on another site:

'We have yet to ID something that causes the passlock system to think it is being stolen, and cuts off the fuel flow. The only work-around that seems to work every time is to wait one full hour and then try, and it always starts. But waiting one hour is not very practical 99% of the time. I read someplace that when it malfunctions, you turn the key to the "on" position, and wait a few minutes, till the "security" light on the dash goes out, then it should start. But, wouldn't you know it, I can't get it to malfunction, so I can't test that work-around. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

This is true. Turn the key to the start position & wait 10 minutes. If you don't have kids making noise anyway, turn the radio off & listen. You can actually hear the thing unlock.

Anyone out there know what to cut to by pass the PassLock system completely??? I guess this is a common issue.'

So, I guess next time this happens we are going to try this.

Thanks.

sk7

The waiting period of 10 minutes with the key on is the reprogram feature. When replacing the ignition barrel, the resistance doesn't match the known value of the PCM, so the passlock is activated. Leave the key on for 10 or so minutes, till the security or theft light stops blinking and stays lit, key off. Wait a few seconds then on and system should be functionnal. This learn routine will not work on a defect passlock, where the resistance is sometimes not seen by the PCM.

I bypassed the passlock on my truck. Its the most reliable way of installing a remote start (no bypass relay needed), its a pretty non-effective theft system anyways, and I got a good aftermarket alarm. Add to that the fact that it sumtimes fail when not convenient, so it was an easy choice to make. Very easy to do I can post instructions how to do it if you have a good digital probe and got soldering wires experience.

Look for the theft or security light next time it happens. Keep us posted.

Hey- thanks!!

You probably won't hear from me in a while since its working fine now. Last time it took 2 weeks to do it again. Anxious to see if thats the fix. Better than another $2,000 repair bill. Last month it was the differential, oh and the A/C compressor! It does have almost 180,000 miles on it though.

sk7

Milage might also be an extra hint pointing to the passlock (key cylinder wearing out). Cost to bypass the system about $2 for the variable resistor. Let me know.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.