'03 Escalade intermittently won't start! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, '03 Escalade intermittently won't start! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; SK7 - I am interested in the bypass details for the "passlock" system. My daughter's '00 is experiencing starting issues ...
    catshot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: '03 Escalade intermittently won't start!

SK7 - I am interested in the bypass details for the "passlock" system. My daughter's '00 is experiencing starting issues with a remote start install. We've replaced many parts (dealership) and still it acts up! Help!

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

No prob! I'll post instructions how to with pics in a different thread. Tomorrow 4 sure, my brain is still in limp mode after a few nite shifts...

oldworld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS

Probably NOT the security system. I had a problem with the security system when I first got the truck. The truck WILL crank, but not start.
    The initial post says it does NOT crank. I think he would have noticed a flashing yellow or solid yellow caution in the instrument panel.
    Check for codes????

catshot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks sk7!!! I'll look for your new thread!

sk7
    sk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade AWD

Oldword is correct, the passlock doesn't cutoff the starter. But if you are experiencing remote start issues, then permanent bypass of the PK2 is the way to go!

Maxxnas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

Just happened to me with the exact same symptoms. I had my mechanics rebuild the starter and everything works great now.

oldworld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS

curious...............what do mechanics charge now to rebuild a starter????

grichard36 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cadillace escalade ext

THANKS that worked for me.. dam your a wizard.. tell me more about bypassing this security stuff?
    \

Didewro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003

Dear sir,
    I have an 03 escalade. It will only start after waiting 10 min or so. The batt is fine. It was at inspection station when they turned it off after doing thier OBD diag. Car passed then wouldnt start so they can move it out of line. Can u explain this reprogram passlock fix that worked for you? I cant afford to take to dealer. Im no mechanic so explain it as if your telling a 10 year old. Thanks

escalade addict is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Haha. I know it's not funny but this problem occurred to me 5 times already today. The first time it happened was last month. I have an 06 esv. Battery in perfect shape. All lights and electrical accessories inside and outside the truck works fine when this happens. I put in the key and turn it to start. Nothing happens. No crank. No sound. Lights on dashboard, stereo fades just like when I start normally but without sound or action. I sit there a couple of minutes to wait then do it again. Nothing. Wait couple more minutes then I get it to start normally.
    I do all sorts of weird ritual every time this happens like closing, opening doors; Putting gear on drive; Release parking brake as I switch the ignition hoping this would start the engine. But nothing happens. I just repeat the process of waiting and guessing and starting.

Now here's the best part. I went to get my car washed today. Shut off the engine and for my vacuuming done. Truck started normally with my fingers crossed to move to the washing bay area. Shut it off. Washing finished so I was told to move to air drying and wiping area. Truck wont start. Sweat running down my forehead as other trucks behind me were waiting. One worker came and helped me. He tried but truck still won't start. The he did some trick. Blew my mind away. He kind of pushed the key in in the ignition and wiggled it. VIOLA. Started the truck! And he said: "I've seen this problem many times before with all those big GM trucks. Same thing happened and same pushing in and wiggling of the key solves the problem". I LMFAO.

So what seems to be causing this starter problem? Why would pushing the key hole in and wiggling of the key solve the issue? At least for me. Coz it's not normal for an escalade to behave like that.

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by escalade addict
    Haha. I know it's not funny but this problem occurred to me 5 times already today. The first time it happened was last month. I have an 06 esv. Battery in perfect shape. All lights and electrical accessories inside and outside the truck works fine when this happens. I put in the key and turn it to start. Nothing happens. No crank. No sound. Lights on dashboard, stereo fades just like when I start normally but without sound or action. I sit there a couple of minutes to wait then do it again. Nothing. Wait couple more minutes then I get it to start normally.
    I do all sorts of weird ritual every time this happens like closing, opening doors; Putting gear on drive; Release parking brake as I switch the ignition hoping this would start the engine. But nothing happens. I just repeat the process of waiting and guessing and starting.

Now here's the best part. I went to get my car washed today. Shut off the engine and for my vacuuming done. Truck started normally with my fingers crossed to move to the washing bay area. Shut it off. Washing finished so I was told to move to air drying and wiping area. Truck wont start. Sweat running down my forehead as other trucks behind me were waiting. One worker came and helped me. He tried but truck still won't start. The he did some trick. Blew my mind away. He kind of pushed the key in in the ignition and wiggled it. VIOLA. Started the truck! And he said: "I've seen this problem many times before with all those big GM trucks. Same thing happened and same pushing in and wiggling of the key solves the problem". I LMFAO.

So what seems to be causing this starter problem? Why would pushing the key hole in and wiggling of the key solve the issue? At least for me. Coz it's not normal for an escalade to behave like that.
    I think the key switch is getting worn and causing a intermittent connection at times

Didewro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003

Ok...today is a first. I walk out to parking lot from work and nothing! I get chimes, int lights, windows work, dash lights on, batt gauge moves to 12.0 but turn ignition i get silence. I wiggled the key, pushed it in and still nothing! Today is especially hot. Could this effect the starter?

1.) Starts in morning...if driven long cart wont start again for ten minutes.
    2.) Key does appear to be aftermarket key...but this wasnt a issue when i bought the SUV months ago.
    3.) One of the Dash icons is the car with the padlock over it. This lights up when turning the ig...but so do others.
    4.) Today first time it wont start at all when it hasnt been driven.
    5.) My mechanic is suspecting the starter.
    But the starter being or getting hot will stop a vehicle from starting?

the cadillac man is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Didewro
    Ok...today is a first. I walk out to parking lot from work and nothing! I get chimes, int lights, windows work, dash lights on, batt gauge moves to 12.0 but turn ignition i get silence. I wiggled the key, pushed it in and still nothing! Today is especially hot. Could this effect the starter?

1.) Starts in morning...if driven long cart wont start again for ten minutes.
    2.) Key does appear to be aftermarket key...but this wasnt a issue when i bought the SUV months ago.
    3.) One of the Dash icons is the car with the padlock over it. This lights up when turning the ig...but so do others.
    4.) Today first time it wont start at all when it hasnt been driven.
    5.) My mechanic is suspecting the starter.
    But the starter being or getting hot will stop a vehicle from starting?
    Most likely the starter solenoid has failed but to be sure it ain't the padlock system is the lock going off after the truck is started or does it stay on?
    If no then its the starter or relay(if it clicks loud its good) I had the starter fail on me(luckily I was at my uncles house and he drove me home back home till I could get it towed to the shop to have the starter replaced

Age may have a hand in its failure as heat rarely keeps them from working its either it does or it doesn't

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

FWIW, my 05 had that problem, left me stranded once about 60 miles from home.

In my case I had some kind of short in the starter itself, the solenoid maybe? Not only would it not start at times but it would also drain the battery sometimes in only about 8-10 hours. The starter body never got hot so it wasn't a major short, but enough to kill it overnight.

I put in a new starter after killing a new battery thinking that was the problem and I never had the issue repeat itself. I've changed out a dozen or so starters in my lifetime but never experienced this type of failure before my Escalade. Usually the starter either works or doesn't, or you have to tap the solenoid on the side of the starter to get it to engage. This was a new one for me.

cgreen84 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

got the same problem with my 03 cts, did u figure it out yet?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.