Curious....Gas and is it killing you w/ur Lade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Curious....Gas and is it killing you w/ur Lade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Well I don't know about you guys but gas here, in Northern Cali, is killing us. Man w/26gl of high ...
    srt
    srt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac - 02' Escalade

Curious....Gas and is it killing you w/ur Lade

Well I don't know about you guys but gas here, in Northern Cali, is killing us. Man w/26gl of high octane it's a bitch. High octane is going for $4.09 at Chevron. What about all you other states? I have a hoopty, which is my commuter, so I'm cool for now. Hell even to fill that bad boy up it's $45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ZaC851 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

Re: Curious....Gas and is it killing you w/ur Lade

if your putting high octane in your lade, your wasting your money Its not required and you wont notice a difference. Unless your running something like a supercharger with colder plugs and difference in timing there is no use to run anything more than 87 octane gas.

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade Gone**2008 SRX4 V6

cost must be...not killing me here...yet...
    Bill

DLE
    DLE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade/ 04 Escalade EXT

Haha, just costed me $70 to fill up my EXT, and I still had a quarter tank left! I use Premium always and Chevron as well. I guess we get what we pay for...

dstinson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i always fill up with 92 octane (which is sometimes once a month or longer) and i can tell the diff, I will only put 92 octane because the truck responds better. M-F i roll the NGV (that's natural gas for you people).

DLE
    DLE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade/ 04 Escalade EXT

Maybe I should invest in a Pinto? Or heck, moped or scooter.

ScoreBo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ZaC851 View Post
    if your putting high octane in your lade, your wasting your money Its not required and you wont notice a difference. Unless your running something like a supercharger with colder plugs and difference in timing there is no use to run anything more than 87 octane gas.

This is straight out of the owners manual (page 6-3) and I have noticed a difference in 87 vs 92. For the 20 or cent difference per gallon, I don't think it is worth it:

Gasoline Octane
    Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of
    91 or higher for best performance. You may also use
    middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at
    87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may
    be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you
    may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive.
    If it is bad enough, it can damage your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreBo View Post
    This is straight out of the owners manual (page 6-3) and I have noticed a difference in 87 vs 92. For the 20 or cent difference per gallon, I don't think it is worth it:

Gasoline Octane
    Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of
    91 or higher for best performance. You may also use
    middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at
    87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may
    be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you
    may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive.
    If it is bad enough, it can damage your engine.

Right. As I said before. 87 is fine for most people. Unless your pulling heavy things, or going offroad there isnt a point to running anything higher than 87. I'm well aware of what engine knock or "detonation" being the correct word here is and what it sounds like and as I said before, unless you running colder plugs or have retarded the timing...most people will never experience the detonation.

bigputzars is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 03 ext... and let me say one thing with the money I spend on gas every month I can pay for a condo with it.... my mpg is 10.7 .... with or without the 22inch rims I have on now the truck shows the same mpg... my friend has an 04 escalade and he is getting 13 mpg??!..... considering I spend at least 40 dollars a day on gas it would be nice to gain those extra couple miles on my mpg.... and premium by me 93 octane is at about 3.69 a gallon up to 4.00 a gallon in the city....

silversport is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Escalade Gone**2008 SRX4 V6

depends on what year your Esky is too...mine is the OBS (1999/2000) Chevy 350...87 is as good as it gets stock...
    Bill

NAFTA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '95 ETC

Now with summer coming up, I want to keep my ETC as my ballin car and get a GSX-R 600 motorcycle as a daily/commute driver, they get 35 mpg city and are fun as hell to drive, especially on one wheel.

Guyz1996deville is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade

You guys are funny. I figure that I will spend a few more dollars on the gas instead of premature valve wear from heat, or a potencial hot spot on my picston from detonation. Why drive an excalade if you are that concerned with a few dollars a day. I go out and grab a drink after work and pay 8 bucks a cocktail. I could get rail booze but I really don't feel like the headache in the morning. Some thing with the truck, I don't feel like the headache down the road. Better safe than sorry I figure...

producerman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05-ESV + 08

Interesting Question! I get this all the time when driving around or filling up at the pump. I am not conceded in anyway or a jerk when people ask me. My response is "If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a SMART CAR!" If you can afford to drive a Lade you should be able to afford to put the gas in.....end of story! I did not buy mine worrying one bit about the gas mileage. Yes it is my daily driver too! 2005 ESV

BTW - gas prices up here in Canada are: $1.20 per liter for 87. That is $4.54 per US gallon ($1.20 x 3.785).

Gas is expected to goto $6-$7 per gallon here this summer.

I just pull up to the pump and say just $100 please.

My2Cents!

Producerman

Quote Originally Posted by producerman View Post
    Interesting Question! I get this all the time when driving around or filling up at the pump. I am not conceded in anyway or a jerk when people ask me. My response is "If I was worried about gas mileage I would have bought a SMART CAR!" If you can afford to drive a Lade you should be able to afford to put the gas in.....end of story! I did not buy mine worrying one bit about the gas mileage. Yes it is my daily driver too! 2005 ESV

BTW - gas prices up here in Canada are: $1.20 per liter for 87. That is $4.54 per US gallon ($1.20 x 3.785).

Gas is expected to goto $6-$7 per gallon here this summer.

I just pull up to the pump and say just $100 please.

My2Cents!

Producerman

No sense is pissing the extra 20 dollar s or whatever you'll pay for premium when is doesnt make a difference. If I'm getting the same results with no detonation with running 87. Theres no sense in my paying 40-50 cents extra just to say i running 93.

By all means if you're getting detonation while running cheaper gas then yea, run a higher octane, but I have a feeling most people here wouldnt know what detonation even sounds like anyway..

producerman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05-ESV + 08

I forgot to mention I just run 87 octane.....never have ran 91 or 92 and it runs fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.