Factory DVD Nav HU swap into 96 ETC - Is it possible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Factory DVD Nav HU swap into 96 ETC - Is it possible? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello, I have acquired a factory DVD/Nav HU with the 6.5 inch tilt down screen that was manufactured June 2001, ...
    ELDORADO JOSH is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Factory DVD Nav HU swap into 96 ETC - Is it possible?

Hello,

I have acquired a factory DVD/Nav HU with the 6.5 inch tilt down screen that was manufactured June 2001, GM Display Assy 25734875, 462200-8011, 12V Denso. I currently own a 96 ETC with a Bose system cassette AM/FM HU and CD Changer in the trunk. Earlier this evening, I took out the factory HU my car came with and plugged in the DVD/Nav unit as the wiring harness plug is the same, a 32-pin (16X16) connector. The DVD/Nav unit instantly powered up displaying a message "Preparing to load system software, Please wait...". Upon waiting, the screen then displayed the message " Caution" "Cannot load system software. Disk type incorrect. Please insert correct system disk." None of the buttons on the face of the unit will do anything expect the "tilt" button will slide the face down allowing you to load a CD/DVD. On the back of the DVD/Nav unit, there is another small 5 pin connector of some kind as well as a single square looking plug-in recepticle of some kind as well as a standard antenna recepticle. Do I need another piece of hardware to get the DVD/Nav unit working or just a DVD/ROM disk with software on it. My intentions are not to use the Nav functions of the unit. I just want the unit to control the regular AM/FM radio functions, play music CD's, interface the the CD changer if possible (not an essential though as the unit has a single slot player), still be able to use my steering wheel controls, and play DVD movies on the screen. REPEAT - I am not interested in using the NAV functions at all. Is there a way to get this unit working so I can use it for the purposes I want to use it for or is this impossible? Any help is much appreciated and I will keep the board updated with any progess I make in getting this thing working.

Thanks,
    --ELDORADO JOSH

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miscreant is offline GM Connection

Re: Factory DVD Nav HU swap into 96 ETC - Is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ELDORADO JOSH
    Hello,

I have acquired a factory DVD/Nav HU with the 6.5 inch tilt down screen that was manufactured June 2001, GM Display Assy 25734875, 462200-8011, 12V Denso. I currently own a 96 ETC with a Bose system cassette AM/FM HU and CD Changer in the trunk. Earlier this evening, I took out the factory HU my car came with and plugged in the DVD/Nav unit as the wiring harness plug is the same, a 32-pin (16X16) connector. The DVD/Nav unit instantly powered up displaying a message "Preparing to load system software, Please wait...". Upon waiting, the screen then displayed the message " Caution" "Cannot load system software. Disk type incorrect. Please insert correct system disk." None of the buttons on the face of the unit will do anything expect the "tilt" button will slide the face down allowing you to load a CD/DVD. On the back of the DVD/Nav unit, there is another small 5 pin connector of some kind as well as a single square looking plug-in recepticle of some kind as well as a standard antenna recepticle. Do I need another piece of hardware to get the DVD/Nav unit working or just a DVD/ROM disk with software on it. My intentions are not to use the Nav functions of the unit. I just want the unit to control the regular AM/FM radio functions, play music CD's, interface the the CD changer if possible (not an essential though as the unit has a single slot player), still be able to use my steering wheel controls, and play DVD movies on the screen. REPEAT - I am not interested in using the NAV functions at all. Is there a way to get this unit working so I can use it for the purposes I want to use it for or is this impossible? Any help is much appreciated and I will keep the board updated with any progess I make in getting this thing working.

Thanks,
    --ELDORADO JOSH
    Umm, is the unit from a CTS? The CTS nav unit does not flip down. Were you aware this is the CTS/CTS-V forum?
    2004 Cadillac CTS (**SOLD** ): http://www.ctsowners.com
    2004 Pontiac GTO: http://www.myyellowgto.com

msheri01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Does your car have onstar installed on it? The other connecters will go to the harness for the RCA video jacks and the navigation module. Also, do you know what vehicle the 2001 radio you got is from? I do not think you are going to be able to do what you are trying. The NAV system will not set up without the disc for it. This disc has the setup information to allow the programming of mapping features, as well as clock and radio functions. The NAV head does not control radio per se, it functions as the interface to the radio module. Also, if you do not have the GPS antenna and navigation modules, you wil not be able to do this. If the unit you have is from a Deville, these would have been located in the rear compartment. Since the 2002 and newer audio systems in GM vehicles for the most part interface with the vehicle control module, you will not be able to go to a newer unit. I am operating under the assumption that you have a Deville head, since navigation was not available in the Eldo in 2001. Does the head enter into diagnostic mode?

MagTex46 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have a 2001 DHS with CD-nav unit and onstar service. I found a DVD-nav unit (with tilt screen) from a 2002 Deville. So far, everyone has told me I cannot 'swap' these units. This seems quite unreasonable. It's not like I am trying to install the nav unit in a Ford or something!!

Quote Originally Posted by MagTex46
    I have a 2001 DHS with CD-nav unit and onstar service. I found a DVD-nav unit (with tilt screen) from a 2002 Deville. So far, everyone has told me I cannot 'swap' these units. This seems quite unreasonable. It's not like I am trying to install the nav unit in a Ford or something!!
    The AVN system for the 2002 is more advanced. The three control modules used for the 2001 system were combined in the 2002 NAV ECU. Did you get the entire system with all components, or just the head? With only the display head, it will not work. The best check will be to get the schematics for both systems, and cross check them.

I only got the head. I have been unable to get schematics. Where can I get these? The Cadillac dealers have not been bery helpful.

The schematics are in the shop manuals for the two cars. From what I am seeing, without the control module, you will not be able to make this work. The TV antennas are mounted in the rt rear quarter area, the control module is in rear package shelf area. The problem between the two systems is that the 3 control module system in 2002 has been reduced to a one control module setup. The parts are not interchangeable, so you need to swap out all components. That is why the 2002 will show 2D and 3D while the 2001 will not. The schematics can be printed off the online shop manual available to dealers. I would ask them to print for both cars, since that is what I was looking at for reference. Is the car you got this from available to remove the rest of the components?

I purchased the unit on eBay. So, no, I do not have access to the vehicle it came out of. The headunit was all that was shipped. What would it cost to get additional components for system? Can the swap be done? Could you email schematics for both vehicles to me?

Quote Originally Posted by MagTex46
    I purchased the unit on eBay. So, no, I do not have access to the vehicle it came out of. The headunit was all that was shipped. What would it cost to get additional components for system? Can the swap be done? Could you email schematics for both vehicles to me?
    send a pm with a fax number or an address. You would not be able to read them that small. On the pricing, it will depend on the cross-compatibility. I would take the component listing and do a part by part check on 01/02 cross compatibility with the antennas etc. Expect it will not be cheap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.