Break in period for 04 Escalade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Break in period for 04 Escalade in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just got it a week ago and was wondering if any one knew what the break in period was. Thanks ...
    rrod748 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs up Break in period for 04 Escalade

Just got it a week ago and was wondering if any one knew what the break in period was. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Break in period for 04 Escalade

Most will tell you that 500 miles before max rpms, and at least 200 miles of easy on the brakes, I would also change the oil at about 500 - 1000 miles the first time.

Kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I second hcone, at 500 miles it's a good time to switch to Mobil 1

Yes, synthetic oil is a very good idea.

GPSnV1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    Most will tell you that 500 miles before max rpms, and at least 200 miles of easy on the brakes, I would also change the oil at about 500 - 1000 miles the first time.
    If I pick up an '04 Escale this week, it will immediately go on the freeway. The first day we will travel 350 miles then 500 the next day. Are there issues about using cruise at say 75 mph?

I would try to keep it under 60 mph, and do not cruise at just one speed, vary your speed for at least the first 200-300 miles

GPSnV1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    I would try to keep it under 60 mph, and do not cruise at just one speed, vary your speed for at least the first 200-300 miles
    OK. Is there some kind of guide online for maintenance costs? BMW covers this for 4 years while Lexus says $300-$400 every 15K.

Machine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GPSnV1
    If I pick up an '04 Escale this week, it will immediately go on the freeway. The first day we will travel 350 miles then 500 the next day. Are there issues about using cruise at say 75 mph?

I wouldn't apply the cruise control until you've got some miles on it. I even think it says somewhere in the owners manual to avoid cruise control for the first 500 miles.

These engines are so well engineered these days that the "traditional" break-in is almost a thing of the past. Just drive conservatively and fluctuate your speeds (between 0-80 mph) for the first 500-700 miles and you'll be on your way. Also, as hcvone said, take it easy on the new brakes. The idea of putting Mobile 1 in it after your break-in is also a great idea.

Grotto is offline Cadillac Owners Member

According with my dealer's service manager, there is no need to change the oil before the computer tells you to do so.

Also, didn't someone posted last week saying that the new Escalade come with sysnthetic oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Grotto
    According with my dealer's service manager, there is no need to change the oil before the computer tells you to do so.

Also, didn't someone posted last week saying that the new Escalade come with sysnthetic oil?

Hi -

My Dad's '04 didn't come with synthetic. As far as changing the oil when the computer tells you to...that's fine, too. I'm just a firm advocate of synthetic oil and I want it in my engine as soon as possible.

Slapshot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

As the manual says, take it easy for the first 500 miles, don't use the cruise control and easy on the brakes. Vary your speed at 10 minute intervals if you're going on a highway cruise. 70 - 55 - 80 - 60 something like that. Do not tow anything until you've got 1,000 miles on the beast and you are ready to go.

MKTAXMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member

All Escalade's Come From The Factory With Mobil 1 Oil. Gm Strongly Suggests That You Only Use Synthetic Fliuds In The Car. The Same Goes With Cadillacs Equipped With The Northstar Engine And Corvettes.

My 03' Escalade did not come with Mobil 1, all my Vettes have though.

Where is it stated that all Escalade's come with Synthetic? I know Corvettes do, but this is the first I've heard about Escalade's. Please let me know.

Slapshot is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GPSnV1
    OK. Is there some kind of guide online for maintenance costs? BMW covers this for 4 years while Lexus says $300-$400 every 15K.

Maintenance? I was given free maintenance for the length of the warranty, 4 years on the '04 Escalade I just picked up. Including oil changes. All I'll be looking at paying for is gas and wiper blades according to my dealer...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.