NEED HELP! Put My 24's on & There out of balance!! WHERE DO I FIX? Nobody in V.T CAN!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, NEED HELP! Put My 24's on & There out of balance!! WHERE DO I FIX? Nobody in V.T CAN! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I Put my 24's back on the other day & Drove it on the highway today & It's shakeing really ...
    larry_chip is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

NEED HELP! Put My 24's on & There out of balance!! WHERE DO I FIX? Nobody in V.T CAN!

I Put my 24's back on the other day & Drove it on the highway today & It's shakeing really bad it never done this before

It started to skake a lil last summer but really light so i never minded it because you didn't even feel it,
    but when i took them off the guy said to rotate them so i did,

i put the ones that we're in the front in the back (didn't take the tires off the rims) & now it's a disaster & nobody here in vermont can Balance 24" rims! anyone know where i can go? anything like a Costco Tire or something like can do 24's? i tryed sears & they can't

is it okay to drive it like this?
    because i'm going to New Jersey (300 Mile Drive) Next Week & I Can do it there but i'm not sure if its good for the wheels to drive it like this?

i'm like 200 miles from boston & maybe 100 from N.H & about 30 Miles from Plattsburg N.Y i was thinking that Plattsburg was the best choice because it's close but i don't no where to call!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: NEED HELP! Put My 24's on & There out of balance!! WHERE DO I FIX? Nobody in V.T CAN!

Sorry about the misfortune. In my experience the only balance that comes close to vibration free for my escalade is a "Road Force" balance-available at large Cadillac dealers. There was a very wise GM mechanic that recommended it to me and my 20s can't be balanced even close any where else. The moral of the story: Find a large Cadillac dealer (Chevy might do it), Sears won't ever do a 24" rim justice, smoothness is "bliss"

PS You might wan't to make sure those country bumkins in VT don't use an air ratchet set for 18 wheeler and zipp the rim on off-center.

clickart is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: NEED HELP! Put My 24's on & There out of balance!! WHERE DO I FIX? Nobody in V.T CAN!

Try Good Year Service. Just call around and I pretty sure that you can find a place to balance your 24's. I live in a small town and I still have a balance to balance my 22's. I bet people with 26's must be suck...lol.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

We have a place in NE Phila that does all wheels that dealers and other shops can not get to balance, I know that does not help you in VT.

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Larry, I don't think that it would be a good idea to drive very far with the condition you describe. It doesn't take very many miles to wear your tires in a un-uniform way, and it will never correct without getting the tires ground.

What is shaking? Is it the stearing wheel or the seat? Do your wheels have a different inset than the factory wheels?

It may be a wheel, but most likely a tire. But it may not be balance. Any shop that handles light truck tires should be able to spin balance your wheels. Have them check to make sure that you don't have a bent wheel.

the wheels can't be bent, i had them on last summer & they we're fine,

but like i said i noticed some pluseing in the steering wheel but is was so light that i never messed with it,

but since they put the fronts on back & the backs on the front it feels a lot worse, but i did drive in about 8 - 10 inches of snow this winter & as soon as i came out of the snow bank the truck was pulling to the right so i know that i need a alignment but could this be the case?

BLUEXTON4S is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

It Sounds To Me Like They Just Need To Be Rebalnced. I Dont Know Where U Should Go, But Find The Closes Place Possible. I Have 24s And Mine Started Vibrating A Little So I Got Them Rebalanced And They Ride Smooth Now. U Probably Threw A Weigh Or Two On The Wheels.

OKAY,

i found a place that Balances 18 Wheelers & There balancer could do 24's
    they looked at the front 2 & 1 of them was off my 4oz & we didn't check the other but he rebalanced the other anyway, when we checked the rears there we're ok & didn't need it, so there all Zero'ed out

as soon as i got on highway at 55 it was shakeing 10 times worse then it did at the start! on the front left rim there was 27oz the guy freaked out & it only needed 8oz

so why did it get worse? i really don't get it?
    the rims are not bent, i drove on them all last summer & they was fine, stayed in basement this winter & now there screwed!!

now i gotta take them off & put the stockers back on & have a alignment done & Then i guess i'll take them to New Jersey with me next week & have them rebalanced because i don't think anybody in vermont knows anything about wheels!

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I tried to tell you! Don't let those little shops touch your 24's!! You'll just have to learn hard way. Just think about it-does some greasball getting paid 6 bucks an hour reall giv a sh** about your rims? By the way a static balance usually isn't good enough and a dynamic balance( one with wieghts on the outside and inside edges of the rim) takes special weights and SKILL, something a truck stop just doen't have.

Daryl in KY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade

Larry, did the tire shop spin balance or static balance? Spin balancers must have the right size cone to center the wheel. Your Cadillac dealer should be able to spin balnce your wheels. You are describing a significant amount of weight required to balance the tires. I suspect you may have a bad tire.

hellrazzer24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

if you still have ur old stock 17's, i would just put those on for the drive to NJ and take the 24's with you. take the car to a cadillac dealer there and have them check it out. that is probably your best bet.

with the condition you are describing, i wouldn't find it safe to drive 300 miles with the shaky and probably unbalanced tires.

No They did a static balance,

i spoke to a guy in jersey that deals with 22"+ Rims & They said it needs a Dynamic Balance, so i took them off today

takin them to jersey next week.

thank anyways guys.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.