2WD or AWD?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, 2WD or AWD? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey there, I am considering leasing an escalade for 4 years in the next few weeks. i have decided on ...
    hellrazzer24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question 2WD or AWD?

Hey there,
    I am considering leasing an escalade for 4 years in the next few weeks. i have decided on most options i want except for the 2WD and AWD factor. I can get killer lease prices on the 2WD model, which has 295 hp compared to the 345 hp of the AWD. my question is, does the engine size make that much of a difference. Because some of the hp is going to have to go to turn the other wheels, so im guessing that some of the hp will actually be lost there, and i won't really be doing offroad. mainly city driving. so is the AWD worth the extra money? i dont really care about the 0-60, mainly safety and driving capabilities.

thank your inputs

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: 2WD or AWD?

I only got the AWD because of the snow we get, and I pull a large snowmobile trailer to upstate NY, so I needed 4 wheel drive. Resale value seems much better (at least where I live) with the AWD, and even at 345 hp the Escalade seems under powered, it could use a little more. I think it all comes down to what are you planning to use your Escalade for, and your own needs.

airbalancer is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I also live in an area were we get snow.
    I got 03 Sierra EC 4x4 and had a 2 wd truck before. the 4 wheel made a big difference in snow. It has 5.3l 285hp and find it has more than power than need. I do have a cap on load with tools.
    Will 4 wheel will make a difference on wet roads.

Bear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade EXT

Before I acquired my EXT I had the Avalanche. The Avalanche had the same 5.3 L that the 2WD Escalade uses. The Av was 4WD and seemed to have little problem with the performance moving the 5800lb truck. If you really need to reach 60 a second faster, then get the AWD 6.0. If you can live with a second, don't live were snow is an issue, and would like to use 87 oct (regular) gas, go for the 5.3.

Bear

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Hey, If you want max performance and can wait a few more months the 05's are going to be available with the 6.0 and 2wd. Awesome combo with durability to match.

hellrazzer24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

well looks like my farther surprised me today with a 5.3 (its my birthday, 16 yay!). he bought the car a week ago and its really nice. only problem is that i didn't pass the driving test. i got an automatic fail for speeding up to 29 mph then going to 25 in a school district. im really pissed off.

after driving the 5.3, and a 6.0 before, in the city it doesn't make that much of a difference. but going up hill, i noticed the 6.0 is better. im pretty happy with a the 5.3 (cheaper gas) and i do live in LA so no snow. i think i should be fine.

thx all for your input. it was welcomed.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by hellrazzer24
    well looks like my farther surprised me today with a 5.3 (its my birthday, 16 yay!). he bought the car a week ago and its really nice. only problem is that i didn't pass the driving test. i got an automatic fail for speeding up to 29 mph then going to 25 in a school district. im really pissed off.

after driving the 5.3, and a 6.0 before, in the city it doesn't make that much of a difference. but going up hill, i noticed the 6.0 is better. im pretty happy with a the 5.3 (cheaper gas) and i do live in LA so no snow. i think i should be fine.

It's my birthday next week, need a brother Best of luck with your new truck.

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Good one hvcone!!!!! Thats a gut buster for shure.

Bear is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by hellrazzer24

Ok, this is just so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin.... I remember when I turned 16, my dad helped me buy my first car... $500 for a 1964 Pontiac Catalina (and no this wasn't in 1964).......

I'm with hcvone... Tell your father it's never to late to increase that number of dependents ... Enjoy, and I'm sure you will get your license on your next attempt!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.