retained accessory power
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, retained accessory power in Cadillac Escalade Forums; How's it going, Does anyone know where the easiest spot to tap into the retained accessory power (RAP) wire on ...
    2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

retained accessory power

How's it going,

Does anyone know where the easiest spot to tap into the retained accessory power (RAP) wire on a 2004 ESV is? (FYI: RAP is when you turn off the ignition but the radio keeps playing until a door is open)

I am installing 2 headrest monitors and would like them to stay on (just like the radio does) until the door is open.

I have heard that there is a spot to the right of the glove box, but do not know what color wire to tap into. I am going to use a volt meter to find out, but thought it would save me a lot of time if someone had done this before.

(FYI:I have also heard that 2002 Escalade's are wired different than 2003's and 2004's.)

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

skides1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: retained accessory power

How about using a piggyback spade on the fuse for the radio . We used them all the time for 4watt permanent mount cell phones at an install shop I worked at . I think the current draw is low for the LCD's but it wouldn't work for amplifiers. You could also use that jumper as a trigger for a relay on a constant power source. It should be an easy fix- Stinger should have anything you need :http://www.sounddomain.com/shopbrand/Stinger?ref=over10

2004 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by skides1
    How about using a piggyback spade on the fuse for the radio . We used them all the time for 4watt permanent mount cell phones at an install shop I worked at . I think the current draw is low for the LCD's but it wouldn't work for amplifiers. You could also use that jumper as a trigger for a relay on a constant power source. It should be an easy fix- Stinger should have anything you need :http://www.sounddomain.com/shopbrand/Stinger?ref=over10
    I was told that if I piggyback the radio fuse that power would not be retained when the ignition is turned off. In other words, that the RAP relay is after the radio fuse.

I could use a wire from the radio fuse as a trigger for a relay, but was looking more for an easy wire tap. Maybe tap into the RAP wire used for the sunroof, windows, or something that is eaily accessible.

Thanks for the Post

PS There is an illustration of the connector: on this site:http://www.autoelectrical.com/connectors.shtml It is the 16-14 Gauge piggyback connector towards the bottom of the page.
    Make sure it goes on the output side of the fuse, slide it over the spade and reinstall fuse. Then connect the wire to the trigger input of a relay and your in business! Let me know if it works, I haven't even looked for my fuse box ,but that has to be the easiest way.

Just take a voltmeter and see if the radio fuse has constant power . If it does then I guess they have changed the way they are wired. Come to think about it in my 99, I can here the relay click when the door is opened- if you locate the relay you can use the output to trigger another relay or use that as your power source becuase that relay has to be rated at 30plus amps. It should be easy to find, just remove cover under the dash and track the "Click " when you open door. An 04 may have the relay somewhere else but the sound is pretty loud.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.