Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2016 Escalade Platinum Test Drive (and dilemma)

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  the cadillac man 
#1 · (Edited)
Welp, today we stopped by one of our regional Cadillac/Chevrolet/Buick dealerships and I took my wife with me to "get acquainted" with Cadillac's models firsthand. Looked at the ATS, CTS, and of course the Escadlade & ESV models. I had her sit in the various models. (She really liked the ATS coupe, and didn't think the interior felt noticeably smaller than the CTS, amazingly) BTW they had a nice Z07 'vette there for a $10k markup over MSRP...

ANYWAY, we did test drive the '16 Escalade 4wd today. Platinum Edition, Raven Blk/Blk. Pretty much all the options (retractable steps, headphones, 3 video screens for the passengers, cargo cover, etc. MSRP on the sticker was $95k and change. I have no idea if they intend dealer mark-up (like the aforementioned Z07) but I sure won't pay it.

While our time was limited behind the wheel, we did take it on city, rural roads and the I-5 Fwy. Spent quite a bit of time looking at it before we drove it.
What an impressive machine. GM has has really stepped-up their game considerably. at 65mph on the fwy we could have a nice conversation between each other, and the salesman in the captain's chair behind my driving position....WITHOUT RAISING OUR VOICES ONE BIT. This is impressive in and of itself, but even moreso with a sizeable, cavernous cabin. Very nice.

Overall, the fit and finish both inside and out is impeccable. There is no back seat to be taken to the Germans, nor the Japanese cars anymore. I'm serious. doors closed solidly with a crisp "ch-thump" sound when closed. Very nice, solid and re-assuring. I hear complaints about the switchgear, but I have none. Everything is laid out sensibly; the center waterfall section is both easy to reach, and isn't difficult to learn whatsoever. Over all the UI is pretty intuitive; and CUE was pretty easy to get around in once acquainted with it... and CUE (the dread of many) worked flawlessly and spot-on quick. I think it's brilliant.

Lot's of AC/Blower power, and even on the highest setting wasn't intrusive into conversations...yet it moved a ton of air.

Powertrain performance was admirable, and having something this size that gets 21 MPG HWY (or better), yet offers 400+ HP is a hoot. The transmission shifted smoothly, surely; with no thumps hesitations or other jitters. Downshifts were subtle, smooth & without fanfare. Nothing intruded into the overall experience of riding in sheer comfort and quiet. The BOSE system was a surprise. It has the Centerpoint function and with that and the 3-band eq I was able to set up a sound listening to 80's rock. IIRC, I had the bass 1/3 off flat, the mids boosted a tad over flat, and the highs bumped up just a bit more over flat: almost like shallow stairsteps upward. I simply adjusted things until they sounded right. No bass BOOM or overtones/resonances, but decent bass. Needless to say, I could have spend more time fiddling with it, but ended up shutting it off for dialouge between us during the overall test drive. I gave it a "pass". Not a rave, but not a yawn, or worse...

The Magnetic Ride suspension did its job well, and the steering feel wasn't dead or muted, but wasn't a sports-car either. Very nicely done. Cloverleaf on-ramps didn't offer a lot of lean to the chassis...very stable and confidence-building.

This auto we tested had 100 miles on the odometer.

Onramps were met with confidence and stability, and that wonderful quiet. So...did I hear the "BOOM" many are plagued with??? I can't say that I did, though I detected something that IMHO was more about the surface of the offramp back to the dealership rather than the BOOM Phenomenon.
So we tested at 35mph, 50 and 65-70mph driving situations.

(edit- the backup camera...well we had diminishing daylight by the minute, and it wasn't terrible. Not great, either. Will have to see it again.)

Overall...I'm more than impressed. So is my wife (who really wants a 2016 Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi 4x4 ) My dilemma is this: Escalade or ESV model? While I DO like the shorter platform, the ESV offers a longer wheelbase (better ride quality), and with a more spacious cargo area with all seats used, & also has a better 3rd-seat floorpan for adult passengers. While the easier-to-manage-in-parking-lots model has its virtues, for just a bit more $$ the ESV seems to be the better choice, as this will NOT be a DD that I have to drive daily. But do I want that two extra feet trailing behind me? Next visit we'll test drive the ESV (it was getting late today).
Either one is a winner.

See less See more
#3 ·
If you ever need space for people and stuff the ESV is a no brainer. It drives much smaller than it looks and I can't imagine you would even notice much of a difference in most situations. It's not a DD for us either which is why we have the ESV and my wife (who is 5' 3") has been driving our various model years for 15 years with no issues.

#4 ·
Pretty much what I'm thinking too, thanks! When we first married, the "nice auto" of the two we had was my 1/2 ton xtra cab Sierra 1500 with a camper shell. It became my wife's DD for a few years. Then I sold my "work car" and took the truck and bought her a new car lol. She's 5'6" and drove that truck everywhere...

I like what you said about the ESV "driving much smaller than it looks"- not that I'm intimidated in the least, but I understand about the feel on the road. Having said that, today's parking lots and parking spaces are designed for euro-shoes on 4-wheels.... (which also elevates door dings and such) lol. Thanks again.

#5 ·
The ride is actually nicer in the ESV over the shorty......just a factor of physics and the wheelbase smoothing things out.

I still have my 2500 suburban to use as a truck and bought a shorty for the wife simply because the escalade itself was enough of a size adjustment to her over her maxima period. With one baby on the way, and more in the future I have a gut feeling in a few its going to be an ESV for her, and keep my suburban for towing the toys around, home depot runs etc.

The one thing I'll say is how do you plan on using the truck, there isn't much cargo room in the shorty with the 3rd row seat up, with it down there's a decent amount, in the ESV its even better. My best friend has a grand cherokee with the ecodiesel and its a great little truck and great on fuel too (gets 28 mpg at 80-90 mph) but its just a little small, and the interior is nice, but really doesn't hold a candle to the Caddys.

#6 ·
Totally agree. Had a '16 ESV loaner for two weeks when they put a new trans in mine. Definitely a better ride. Extra size was not an issue when parking either. GM is replacing mine with a '16...I still chose the shorty tho, I think the ESV is ass ugly...MHO of course...
Btw...came out of a Hemi Summit when I got the Escalade. 70k trouble-free miles. Great vehicle, but considerably smaller than the Escalade....

#10 ·
I think the ESV looks great in its own right. It reminds me of a Streamliner locomotive. The Shorty looks great, too.

Yes there is a big difference between the Jeep GC Summit and the Cadillac...and they are two different categories of SUV, with the Jeep considerably smaller. Nevertheless, it's very roomy for its segment and feels bigger inside than it looks from outside. Build quality is good, too. Talked to a GC owner a few weeks ago that had NOTHING bad to say about it, and won't drive anything else. Thanks, tyresmoker! But I digress...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.