2015 Cadillac Escalade Rear Tail Light Edge Defect - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2015 Cadillac Escalade Rear Tail Light Edge Defect in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by davidaugust111 My dealer does put a wax coat on all new vehicles; I assume some do, maybe ...
    shelstreet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none
    Quote Originally Posted by davidaugust111 View Post
    My dealer does put a wax coat on all new vehicles; I assume some do, maybe even most. You might try dipping a Q-tip in some mineral spirits and rubbing a portion of the edge to see if it makes things look better. The spirits would remove any wax residue if that's what's making it look so bad.
    That's so crazy!!! It is not that it shouldn't look so crazy?!? All this money you are paying the suv should not look CRAZY at all!!!

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead
    I'm not sure where they are getting their facts, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the difference is 6k. I could see the Malibu costing 10k in materials only and the escalade costing 16k. Only looking at the actual materials, not all the labor and other overhead. To price at at 80 you'd probably want to come in below 20 in material costs I'd think. But that doesn't account for the r&d and everything else that comes in to producing a product. It costs me nothing just for the physical plastic our cases are made from, pennies on the dollar. However I have to pay a designer, make a mold, pay staff, make packaging, ship them several times before it reaches a customer, taxes and duties along the way, advertising. Materials are my lowest expense.
    Think about the little four cylinder engine that comes standard in the Malibu and is the only engine choice and just look at the massive engine that comes in the Escalade. That V8 compared to the 4 is a $7000 difference in material and cost. Then you factor in the super high-quality materials on the inside of the new Escalade the added technology the magnetic ride control all other aspects of the car and there's absolutely positively no way that there's only a difference of $6000 even if the Malibou sells in a much larger volume the Escalade per-unit pricing is substantially more.

NYTFLT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade, 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible

Re: 2015 Cadillac Escalade Rear Tail Light Edge Defect

That light looks awful, I ran right out and checked mine out. They are perfect, no defects.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

Did you by chance have the dealer do an 'appearance' package.. ie wax etc.. i bet they had the buffer screaming and thats what chipped/wrecked that edge.

Scott_in_FL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    You guys are smoking something if you do not think that dealers make money. When was the last time you saw a mainstream dealership in a good metro area not do well? The secret is that the money is not made in new car sales.

perlmane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    You are right. The money comes from pre-owned and service. However, if they do not sell their quota of new cars, they risk losing the marketing value of the manufacturer

kars79 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by DG2
    I do not believe that an Escalade only costs $6000 more to build then a Malibu I don't know who said it but I absolutely do not believe it . Ithink of the engine alone, that may be a $6000 difference building the big V8 but not the whole car , no way.
    It's for sure you don't have any idea about manufacturing costs.
    Just like one step pointed out,
    I'm 100 percent sure as far as raw material cost between Malibu and escalade won't be over $5-6k.
    Escalade being developed and manufactured with tahoe and yukon so their r&d costs are not that high for each model.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by reels
    2013 there where over 200,000 Malibu's built. On the flip side about 13,000 Escalade's. Big difference in manufacturing costs right there alone in price per part #.

You don't realize chassis,powertrain and other parts are shared with full size trucks (silverado,sierra) and Suv's (yukon,tahoe),

Different parts used in escalade probably is about 10 percent of the total cost of the car,

On the flip side
    200k Malibu
    Over million full size truck and suv's.

How about that ?!!!!!
    OneStepAhead likes this.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by kars79
    It's for sure you don't have any idea about manufacturing costs. Just like one step pointed out, I'm 100 percent sure as far as raw material cost between Malibu and escalade won't be over $5-6k. Escalade being developed and manufactured with tahoe and yukon so their r&d costs are not that high for each model. ---------- You don't realize chassis,powertrain and other parts are shared with full size trucks (silverado,sierra) and Suv's (yukon,tahoe), Different parts used in escalade probably is about 10 percent of the total cost of the car, On the flip side 200k Malibu Over million full size truck and suv's. How about that ?!!!!!
    Show me the proof vs The speculation and guessing. If you are correct That would mean the Escalade has a $50, 000 markup. absolutely no way !!!
    reels likes this.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

I never said dealers weren't making money, just that I was surprised at how low their margins are on new Escalades.

A 50K markup over material costs is probably very close, minus a few thousand I'd be willing to bet. Nothing to get upset about, that's the way our economy works. Not too many products out there that sell retail anywhere near their actual material costs.

Let's not forget the Escalade is made largely out of plastic and metal, both of which are cheap base materials.

----------

I really don't think wax has anything to do with this. You definitely could get wax stuck in there, but this isn't just wax residue. I'd you look at the close up shot of the edge you can see it's physically damaged. Even a powered buffer isn't going to cause that I wouldn't think.
    wav1911 likes this.

wav1911 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none, yet

I went to a dealer here in michigan(McDonald Cadillac in Saginaw) just last evening and looked at a black 2015 Escalade-Luxury and it had the indentical damage in the same tailight area(same side as well, passenger) the driver side taillight did not ! :-(
    OneStepAhead likes this.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Very interesting. I expected I wouldn't be alone.

Show me the proof vs The speculation and guessing. If you are correct That would mean the Escalade has a $50, 000 markup. absolutely no way !!!
    Prove it ?
    So you want me to gather invoices from suppliers ?!!!
    You are very funny

George C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    I'm not sure where they are getting their facts, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the difference is 6k. I could see the Malibu costing 10k in materials only and the escalade costing 16k. Only looking at the actual materials, not all the labor and other overhead. To price at at 80 you'd probably want to come in below 20 in material costs I'd think. But that doesn't account for the r&d and everything else that comes in to producing a product. It costs me nothing just for the physical plastic our cases are made from, pennies on the dollar. However I have to pay a designer, make a mold, pay staff, make packaging, ship them several times before it reaches a customer, taxes and duties along the way, advertising. Materials are my lowest expense.
    I couldn't have articulated this any better.
    I'd actually be shocked if they had 16k in the truck build.

If somehow one may believe there isn't a 6k difference between the Escalade and Malibu may be right. The Malibu build cost is probably figured too high at 10k. My guess would be 6k build cost max.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

DG2
    Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead
    I never said dealers weren't making money, just that I was surprised at how low their margins are on new Escalades. A 50K markup over material costs is probably very close, minus a few thousand I'd be willing to bet. Nothing to get upset about, that's the way our economy works. Not too many products out there that sell retail anywhere near their actual material costs. Let's not forget the Escalade is made largely out of plastic and metal, both of which are cheap base materials. ---------- I really don't think wax has anything to do with this. You definitely could get wax stuck in there, but this isn't just wax residue. I'd you look at the close up shot of the edge you can see it's physically damaged. Even a powered buffer isn't going to cause that I wouldn't think.
    Gents, Porsche has the highest profit margin per vehicle in the entire auto industry. They make approx $7,000 profit per car. If you think GM makes $50,000 profit on the Escalade GM would never have needed a government bailout !!

Gents, Porsche has the highest profit margin per vehicle in the entire auto industry. They make approx $7,000 profit per car. If you think GM makes $50,000 profit on the Escalade GM would never have needed a government bailout !!
    Again,
    Your facts are wrong,

Doing business there are 2 different things
    Gross profit
    Net profit

Escalade gross profit is $50k not the net profit.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.