2015 Cadillac Escalade Rear Tail Light Edge Defect - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2015 Cadillac Escalade Rear Tail Light Edge Defect in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I hate to sound like I'm bitching all the time about the vehicle, but come on!!!! It's just one thing ...
    OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Re: 2015 Cadillac Escalade Rear Tail Light Edge Defect

I hate to sound like I'm bitching all the time about the vehicle, but come on!!!! It's just one thing after another...

Service department didn't seem to care again today when I mentioned it. The light was pretty low in the service department which made this issue kind of hard to see. My close-up photo really brings out the defect. I'll reach out to cadillac customer care. Yes, I'm going to the Madison dealer for service (which is not where I bought the vehicle from). I've actually been happy with the staff at the Madison dealership, but I didn't buy the vehicle from them so they only care so much.

Do you know how upset my customers get when they buy a $10 phone case that has a tiny little blemish on that hardly anyone would ever notice? They make a HUGE deal out of it and we are talking a $10 piece of plastic that is designed to get damaged so your phone doesn't. If one of them had the problems I've having on this 85K vehicle GM would never hear the end of it. Maybe I should reach out to some of my most difficult customers from the past and have them lobby on my behalf, haha

----------

Quote Originally Posted by davidaugust111 View Post
    Obviously it's rough, but I wonder if it looks worse because of catching a wax the dealer may have applied?
    Could be, I don't know if the dealer waxed it though. Do they always wax brand new inventory right off the truck?

wav1911 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none, yet

You have every right to be upset, I mean it's a brand new vehicle !! I'd be BOILING, and to add to it "the dealer doesn't seen to give a flying F***??!!!" That's what makes it even worse IMO! I hope they do right by you and get this resolved asap!

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi View Post
    Maybe because the Escalade is so costly to produce that GM is taking a loss on every unit that it sells, and has to cut corners on materials and built quality? Just like the Bugatti Veyron and Lexus LF-A... Oh wait...
    LOL

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi
    Maybe because the Escalade is so costly to produce that GM is taking a loss on every unit that it sells, and has to cut corners on materials and built quality? Just like the Bugatti Veyron and Lexus LF-A... Oh wait...
    The Escalade is a cash cow for GM and their most profitable product.

kars79 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by Punmax
    I wonder what the profit margin of an Escalade is.
    I read a article back in 2007,
    When gm executive was asked why they relay on making big trucks rather then smaller more fuel efficient cars, He answered Between making Malibu and Escalade cost difference is about $6000, We can sell Escalade for a lot more.

Malibu $20k Escalade $65k at the time. That's a huge difference.

ROADRUNNER2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX 2015 Escalade

OneStepAhead, I checked mine and they are not bad like yours. I would have never even noticed the tiny little edges at all if I hadn't seen your pictures and gone out there looking for it. Looks like in the future I will have to be careful not to get wax on there like David said earlier.

Sorry to point it out. My girlfriend pointed out something on my new wheels yesterday and I threw a fit yelling "don't point anything else out to me!!!! If I don't notice it myself I don't want to know about it". It was just a microscopic black mark on the face that would of never noticed but now it's bugging me of course, haha.

----------

I'm surprised at how low of margins automotive companies run on, especially the dealers. I only recently learned that dealers are making maybe 10% tops on a new Escalade sale. No wonder they are so cut throat, they need every sale they can get. I'm used to plastic industry margins which are many magnitudes over cost. I always assumed a dealer would be making at least 25% on a sale. I'm not surprised that the cost to build a Malibu over an Escalade would be so minor though, I'm sure many of their costs are fixed, regardless of what model they are making. Still cost the same to transport the materials, same pay to your employees, etc.

Maybe Malibu owners should be on here thanking us for buying Escalades. If we didn't, GM would likely need to raise the price on their low end vehicles to maintain their margins.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I do not believe that an Escalade only costs $6000 more to build then a Malibu I don't know who said it but I absolutely do not believe it . Ithink of the engine alone, that may be a $6000 difference building the big V8 but not the whole car , no way.

reels is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2013 there where over 200,000 Malibu's built. On the flip side about 13,000 Escalade's. Big difference in manufacturing costs right there alone in price per part #.

I'm not sure where they are getting their facts, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the difference is 6k. I could see the Malibu costing 10k in materials only and the escalade costing 16k. Only looking at the actual materials, not all the labor and other overhead. To price at at 80 you'd probably want to come in below 20 in material costs I'd think. But that doesn't account for the r&d and everything else that comes in to producing a product. It costs me nothing just for the physical plastic our cases are made from, pennies on the dollar. However I have to pay a designer, make a mold, pay staff, make packaging, ship them several times before it reaches a customer, taxes and duties along the way, advertising. Materials are my lowest expense.

surburban99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Platinum Escalade ESV

wow, I would take it back to the dealer in a second...

poor quality control on GM's part.

tmclaug1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 or 2016 coming soon

This looks more like damage than a defect. Perhaps the lid was not aligned and closed at the factory during assembly.

Zl700 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS-Vsport
    Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi
    First year model is NO excuse! My S-Class has been trouble free through 9,000 miles, knock on wood... That photo looks horrible! Like an old Soviet Era Russian built car!
    All I'm saying is my 08 escalade was better than my 07 and my 14 XTS doesn't have all the problems and deficiencies as the 13 did/does.

It's for sure damage, but did it happen during manufacturing of the part, during assembly at GM, or at the dealers? My guess is it happened in transit from the the factory that makes these on it's way to Arlington. If they didn't protect them properly it would be very easy for the edge to bump into something and get marred up like this. If it was a defect in their injection mold then both of my tail lights would look like this (and everyone else's) and they don't. One of them has minor edge damage, the other is much worse.

They should be using a rubber seal in between this seam and plastic trim along the rear lift gate seam to hide these imperfections at a minimum.

davidaugust111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 EXT, '12 CTS

My dealer does put a wax coat on all new vehicles; I assume some do, maybe even most. You might try dipping a Q-tip in some mineral spirits and rubbing a portion of the edge to see if it makes things look better. The spirits would remove any wax residue if that's what's making it look so bad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.