Does new 6.2 require 92 octane?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, Does new 6.2 require 92 octane? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I don't want to get into "why put cheap gas in a luxury vehicle " argument, just curious if the ...
    sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

Does new 6.2 require 92 octane?

I don't want to get into "why put cheap gas in a luxury vehicle " argument, just curious if the new 6,2 requires high octane or not. What does it say in your manuals (whoever has one).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    No it does not.

davidaugust111 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '15 ESV, '12 CTS

Re: Does new 6.2 require 92 octane?

From the owners manual which you can download here: http://www.cadillac.com/owners/auto-owners-manuals.html

"Use premium unleaded gasoline
    meeting ASTM specification D4814
    with a posted octane rating of 91 or
    higher. Regular unleaded gasoline
    rated at 87 octane or higher can be
    used, but acceleration and fuel
    economy will be reduced, and an
    audible knocking noise may be
    heard."

zerdian1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
    SDGC,
    Here are some electronic GM 2015 Cadillac Manuals:

2015 CADILLAC OWNERS MANUAL, CUE AND GET TO KNOW YOUR 2015 CADILLAC ESCALADE VIDEOS
    MANUALS AND VIDEOS:

OWNERS MANUAL CADILLAC ESCALADE:
    https://assets.gm.com/manuals/cadill...ade_owners.pdf
    CUE:
    https://assets.gm.com/manuals/cadill...navigation.pdf

GET TO KNOW MY VEHICLE CADILLAC ESCALADE:
    https://my.cadillac.com/web/portal/k...&make=cadillac

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

Saving $.20 per gallon isn't worth the degradation in acceleration, smoothness and power to me. I can feel the difference between 87 and 91 in our Escalade.

Higher compression engines require higher octane fuel.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Yes it calls for 91 min octane as do all Escalade's since 2007, do you have to run high test, no, but then why did you buy a 400 hp plus truck, like buying a Corvette and putting in the lowest grade fuel and wounding why it doesn't perform great.

There is NO difference in how smoothly the engine runs, nor is the power difference anywhere near large enough to feel. Placebo effect. You can't feel much less than a 10% power difference. To think octane makes that much difference is just silly.

The owners manual and the EPAs website state it doesn't "require" 91. It doesn't require 91.

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    There is NO difference in how smoothly the engine runs, nor is the power difference anywhere near large enough to feel. Placebo effect. You can't feel much less than a 10% power difference. To think octane makes that much difference is just silly. The owners manual and the EPAs website state it doesn't "require" 91. It doesn't require 91.
    I've been driving my 6.2 liter 2011 Escalade for three years and 50,000 miles now and I can tell you that there is a BIG difference when using regular gas versus premium . So much so that even my wife noticed the car doesn't run as good whenever (albeit very few times ) I used regular gas. There's a reason why Cadillac recommends you use premium gas with 91 or higher octane.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

You are 100% WRONG, stop by our dyno and I can show you want difference octane makes, even dropping 5 octane points make a difference in performance. If you can not feel a 10% difference in performance then you are numb, 10% of a 400 hp engine is 40 hp, you can't feel that? Please. This is from page 9-51 of the owners manual

Recommended Fuel
    "Use premium unleaded gasoline
    meeting ASTM specification D4814
    with a posted octane rating of 91 or
    higher. Regular unleaded gasoline
    rated at 87 octane or higher can be
    used, but acceleration and fuel
    economy will be reduced, and an
    audible knocking noise may be
    heard."
    OneStepAhead likes this.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

oh god... what did i start................

George C is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

From what I understand, octane is simply a fuel burn stabilizer which allows fuel to burn when the spark plug fires, and not Pre-ignite from cylinder heat. As we all know, pre-ignition is an engine killer. As a safety feature, GM and others use a octane sensor that will dial down the timing if the engine doesn't sense stable fuel with higher octane. So I don't believe the fuel itself lowers performance, but rather a timing change to protect the engine from lower octane fuels that may cause pre-ignition.

So, if you want full performance, towing or otherwise, use Premium. If you are simply cruising at interstate speed and want to save a few bucks, regular will work just fine.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Quote Originally Posted by sdgc View Post
    I don't want to get into "why put cheap gas in a luxury vehicle " argument, just curious if the new 6,2 requires high octane or not. What does it say in your manuals (whoever has one).
    Yes, it says premium recommended when you open the gas lid. I run 93 in mine. I notice Premium means different things at different gas stations and different parts of the USA. Here premium might be 91 or 93. Never seen 92 before. My 2012 didn't say anything about that on the gas cap, maybe the manual did. I always ran 87 or 89 octane in that vehicle, but I also used an 87 octane tune on that vehicle.

I have a friend that accidentally put 87 octane in his 97 Caddy, can't remember the model. He actually had it towed to the mechanic and drained after he started having problems about a gallon in to the tank. Who knows if the two were related or not, but he thought so. I probably would of just put some octane booster in it and called it a day.

reels is online now Cadillac Owners Member

I switch 50/50 in my 2013. I lose 10%mpg on 87 and is not nearly as "Peppy" If the cost difference is more than 10% for the premium, I run the 87 just fine. It is not as fun losing the power...

Ron Fasola is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac ESV

If you want to bore yourself with tech explanations about octane, go to a site called, "Campbellboatowners.org", then go to "Boater Reference", then to "Ron's Ramblings", then to "Octane and Gasoline".

Basically, as mentioned above, late model cars can sense knock, (which happens when the motor's octane requirement is not being met), and automatically adjust (retard) the ignition advance until the knock ceases. The down side is that retarding the ignition reduces the output of the motor. The wording of the manufacturer's note on octane requirement is telling us that under some circumstances, (like hot weather, heavy load, dry air, etc.), this motor's octane requirement will probably exceed regular or perhaps even mid grade octane gasoline. So when I tow, I fill up with premium gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    This is from page 9-51 of the owners manual Recommended Fuel "Use premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814 with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy will be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard."
    So to answer the original question... Again...NO THE TRUCK DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM.

Go ahead and post those dyno results of 4 octane points making a 40 HP difference. I'd love to see them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.