Does new 6.2 require 92 octane? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, Does new 6.2 require 92 octane? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage So to answer the original question... Again...NO THE TRUCK DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM. Go ahead and ...
    hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Does new 6.2 require 92 octane?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    So to answer the original question... Again...NO THE TRUCK DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM.

Go ahead and post those dyno results of 4 octane points making a 40 HP difference. I'd love to see them.

You must have a reading problem among other issues, here is my post from above, that is now below, I said on a dyno I can show you what different octane does for performance. Then I started a new sentence because you were the one you said that you can not feel a 10% difference in power, and I said 10% on an Escalade is 40 hp, and if you can not feel 40 hp you are numb. The computer dials back power with lower performance fuels

You are 100% WRONG, stop by our dyno and I can show you want difference octane makes, even dropping 5 octane points make a difference in performance. If you can not feel a 10% difference in performance then you are numb, 10% of a 400 hp engine is 40 hp, you can't feel that? Please. This is from page 9-51 of the owners manual

Recommended Fuel
    "Use premium unleaded gasoline
    meeting ASTM specification D4814
    with a posted octane rating of 91 or
    higher. Regular unleaded gasoline
    rated at 87 octane or higher can be
    used, but acceleration and fuel
    economy will be reduced, and an
    audible knocking noise may be
    heard."

George C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Respectfully.
    I'm guessing we can call each other WRONG all day long, but all I am offering is an opinion. Since you have offered actual printed data which demonstrates there is indeed a difference in the same 10.5 to 1 or lower compression engine, please take a minute and post it. Thanks.
    I'm not looking to prove someone right or wrong, I am really interested in seeing the 5 point power and torque differences on a lower compression engine if they do indeed exist. Until then, I'm very skeptical.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

For me I'm going to stick with what the manual suggests, and that's premium. Even if there is no real world difference psychologically I'd still notice one. If it was a dollar a gallon difference maybe I'd reconsider, but give I only put 7000 miles a year on it amounts to nothing.

Nihsel10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum 2011 Escalade ESV 2008 Hummer H2

Well it varies from each person.

If you use 87, you see a decrease in throttle response. Premium is mostly recommended, like the manual says. The throttle response is better when running on premium. Midgrade is ok because is just a mixture of regular and premium.

Exception of using regular, imo, are 1) you are leasing the vehicle 2) don't like to put the "pedal to the metal"/ like slow acceleration, or 3) keep changing vehicles every 1-3 years

Most people prefer sticking with what the manual says, which is ok. The beauty of American engines is that it can run on anything and still give amazing American muscle power, great growl, and small amount of hp loss. Unlike in European cars, premium is required otherwise the warranty will be voided (I presume) and the cars will run like poop.

Question is that, if you paid say 80k+ on a vehicle, would you really want to put low grade gas?

I use regular when the gas prices go way to far up (when premium hits 4+ bucks), as soon as it lowers (below 4 bucks) I use premium. Most of the premium is used on the H2 and Platinum because they aren't making the Vortec engines no more and I am keeping them in the long term.

MPG changes depending on your driving habits. If you go to the DIC and find the Avg MPG V8/V4 section, it shows how much MPG you are getting when adding the throttle and letting go of the throttle. I love using it because it shows how much MPG i am getting when i am the highway, which is like 14-15. When i let go of the pedal and let it roll, I get like 70-99 mpg under V4.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

In disabled v4 on my vehicle and my MPG meter still sky rockets when I left off the pedal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.