Does new 6.2 require 92 octane? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, Does new 6.2 require 92 octane? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage So to answer the original question... Again...NO THE TRUCK DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM. Go ahead and ...
    2010drive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade ESV Platinum

Re: Does new 6.2 require 92 octane?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    So to answer the original question... Again...NO THE TRUCK DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM.

Go ahead and post those dyno results of 4 octane points making a 40 HP difference. I'd love to see them.
    Not required but it's RECOMMENDED...I'll spend the extra $20 a month for premium
    OneStepAhead likes this.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade Prem, 14 CTS VSport Prem, 15 RR Sport ATB

In Wisconsin it's a difference of 87 vs 93 at most gas station, that's 6 points. Through tuning AND higher octane 40 hp may be achievable in extreme cases.

George C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I agree with the poster above who would love to see a dyno chart that proves a 40 hp difference made by gasoline.
    Horsepower isn't made by a higher octane gasoline. 87 octane in an engine that runs a 10.5 compression ratio is more than enough octane under normal driving, and unless the engine is under duress by towing, or severe demand like running 100 mph into a 40 mile an hour headwind.
    Again, if the engine suffers from power a drop off due to lower octane, it's purely a safety feature employed by GM. Remove the safety feature, and there will be absolutely no horsepower difference in power and performance.
    But if you plan to tow a trailer at high speed on lower octane fuel in high temperatures expect some deadly pre-ignition. Use regular for any regular driving condition, and premium if you plan on getting after it.
    I will probably burn regular 99% of the time, and premium if we tow with it.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade Premium

Come on, guys. Really? We are all driving expensive Escalades and we are talking about $.20 per gallon to ensure the engine runs it's best!!!! GEEZUS! Ridiculous!!!!

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by GM-4-LIFE
    Come on, guys. Really? We are all driving expensive Escalades and we are talking about $.20 per gallon to ensure the engine runs it's best!!!! GEEZUS! Ridiculous!!!!
    Well said !!!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It'll run EXACTLY the same until it reaches extreme power demands (full throttle acceleration, towing, racing...).

"Premium" isn't "better". It's different.

The op wasn't concerned with which is better, he was asking if premium is required. The answer is no. It'll run just fine on 87, nothing will get damaged, it'll still have WAY more than enough power... It's fine.

[QUOTE=MoistCabbage;12761105]It'll run EXACTLY the same until it reaches extreme power demands (full throttle acceleration, towing, racing...).

It'll run EXACTLY the same until it reaches extreme power demands (full throttle acceleration, towing, racing...).

The op wasn't concerned with which is better, he was asking if premium is required. The answer is no. It'll run just fine on 87, nothing will get damaged, it'll still have WAY more than enough power... It's fine.
    I fully agree. 99% of the time, it's simply an indulgence with zero payoff. I have other, more entertaining habits to flush money down the toilet. Premium fuel isn't a better diet that expensive vehicle deserves. It's not like high dollar dog food for a champion award winner.

Exactly Moist, it's simply different, and premium simply remains more stable under higher compression engines. I guess I'm not much of a stock vehicle enthusiast to think a 10.5 compression ratio gets my respect. If it was supercharged where the compression ratio changes, then absolutely I would always buy premium. I run premium in my 12:1 Harley, and in our turbocharged 1100 Arctic Cats.
    My lawn mower and road vehicles get regular without any worry of damage or lost performance.

JMO guys, and that's why there are choices at the pump.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    OP, if you don't have an owners manual:
    http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com

reels is offline Cadillac Owners Member

That is not exactly true. While I can not prove a HP difference, I can certainly prove a MPG difference as I log all my mileage and expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by reels View Post
    That is not exactly true. While I can not prove a HP difference, I can certainly prove a MPG difference as I log all my mileage and expenses.
    This is a point I didn't consider. If the ECM does dial back timing to in some instances to compensate lower octane, fuel mileage might be affected. Just how much?

Reels, can you post your MPG differences.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade
    Sitting on the patio reading what I started... Comical day to say the least. Oh, And yes I meant 91, not 92.

This is on a 2013 6.2.

Most of my miles are Iowa highway miles, average 70MPH. 87 Octane with ethanol 16.5-17MPG. No Ethanol 87 18-19. 91 No Ethanol 20-21. Wind direction and flatness have big influences. MPG will go down on hilly stretches. You would think it would even out, but it takes more fuel going up a hill than you save going down it.

2015 may be different, but wording is almost identical in the manuals.

Ethanol 91?

No, I haven't run 91 Ethanol, at least not knowingly.

Given the ethanol difference in the 87 category, the 91 ethanol should resemble the same numbers as the 87 non ethanol.
    Unfortunately, it's tough to find anything non ethanol in these parts..
    reels likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.