First impression - not that great.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, First impression - not that great. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Was driving around this past weekend and drove by a Cadillac dealer lot and saw a couple 2015 Escalades so ...
    Tahoe07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

First impression - not that great.

Was driving around this past weekend and drove by a Cadillac dealer lot and saw a couple 2015 Escalades so I decided to pull in and take a look. No salespeople were around thankfully so I could just take a look. Of course I tried the door handles to see if they were unlocked and this is where the disappointment immediately took place. The door handles felt flimsy, light and plastic like my 2007 Tahoe which has had every door handled replaced because they broke. I would expect a $90K vehicle to have at least as nice as door handles as my $60k Mercedes. Am I the only one that feels like the door handles are cheaply made?

Secondly, what are thoughts on bench vs. bucket? I know the buckets look much cooler, but my wife regularly sits between our two children in the back and buckets would remove this possibility. In addition, I always have junk in the back of my Tahoe that is nicely hidden by the bench. With Buckets it seems like the car would always looked cluttered because there would be nothing hiding all the junk in the back. Maybe if my 2nd impression is better I will consider a '15 but I am leaning towards the bench.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Re: First impression - not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe07 View Post
    Was driving around this past weekend and drove by a Cadillac dealer lot and saw a couple 2015 Escalades so I decided to pull in and take a look. No salespeople were around thankfully so I could just take a look. Of course I tried the door handles to see if they were unlocked and this is where the disappointment immediately took place. The door handles felt flimsy, light and plastic like my 2007 Tahoe which has had every door handled replaced because they broke. I would expect a $90K vehicle to have at least as nice as door handles as my $60k Mercedes. Am I the only one that feels like the door handles are cheaply made?

Secondly, what are thoughts on bench vs. bucket? I know the buckets look much cooler, but my wife regularly sits between our two children in the back and buckets would remove this possibility. In addition, I always have junk in the back of my Tahoe that is nicely hidden by the bench. With Buckets it seems like the car would always looked cluttered because there would be nothing hiding all the junk in the back. Maybe if my 2nd impression is better I will consider a '15 but I am leaning towards the bench.

You can order the bench for the Escalade, its in the build it tool on Cadillac.com. The door handles do feel a little flimsy LOL. Don't let the handle scare you away, the majority of the truck is and does feel more solid than ever before.

mkosharkii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2005 STS4
    Concur with the door handles. As I walked up to the car, I saw that the moving part of the handle doesn't quite line up with the stationary ends. It has additional horizontal sight lines now, so where that may have been missed before, is now an eyesore to those with a keen eye for such things. Then I pulled on it and was very disappointed in the feel. Perhaps GM has studied things like this and determined that most prospective buyers do not notice/consider these details? I don't know, but it certainly gave me a bad first impression. Beyond that, the far more intricate detailing in the door panels and dash create additional areas for poor fitting trim. Specifically, the window switch bezel looks to be ill fitting. On my 07, albeit of cheesy fake wood, the switch panel is flush mounted in the vinyl armrest trim, and gives a far nicer finished appearance. Don't get me wrong, the car is a vast improvement over mine, but as GM's self proclaimed biggest fan, I expected more. I expected the details to be properly executed.

714Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 Escalade ESV

The Escalade may sell for $100K but it will never be a "$100K" car... Simply because of the all shared components with MUCH cheaper vehicles, the saying "you are only as strong as your weakest link" holds true... When you can go into any Chevy dealership and order parts for your Escalade, that tells you a lot. The quality set is based on a $40K Tahoe... I guess I'm lucky, only had to replace 1 door handle, but got it for less money at a Chevy dealership, same exact part...

I am buildling GL450's and GL550's on line and the price for a 450 is less and the 550 is comparable. Interesting. And Mercedes parts on not shared with any other vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi View Post
    The Escalade may sell for $100K but it will never be a "$100K" car... Simply because of the all shared components with MUCH cheaper vehicles, the saying "you are only as strong as your weakest link" holds true... When you can go into any Chevy dealership and order parts for your Escalade, that tells you a lot. The quality set is based on a $40K Tahoe... I guess I'm lucky, only had to replace 1 door handle, but got it for less money at a Chevy dealership, same exact part...
    Nail hit on the head. The Escalade is a luxury truck on an old platform. The funny thing is, that is why we all buy them. I tried to cross shop Escalade with the X5, RR, GL. Two totally different animals. Now, there are some things Cadillac can continue to improve on, but my hopes are not high.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    OneStepAhead likes this.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I am not getting an Escalade to play with the door handles all day long. I am looking at the entire package and it is by far the best looking and biggest SUV you can get for a family. The GLs, the X5s and every other SUV out there don't offer what the Escalade does and that is why we just keep getting new ones. We have had 8 new Escalades since 2005 and our 9th one will be a 2015 refreshed Escalade. They are hands down the perfect package from the exterior looks to the interior cabin space. The GL is cramped, the X5 is a joke in how small it is. For a large family like ours, the K2xx platform SUVs are the only fit. Ford/Lincoln's full size SUVs are outdated and ugly with their refresh. There is a reason why the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade has 70%+ market share. There is nothing else like it for American families. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's damn near close!

----------

I am buildling GL450's and GL550's on line and the price for a 450 is less and the 550 is comparable. Interesting. And Mercedes parts on not shared with any other vehicles.
    Try leasing a GL550. Ridiculously overpriced lease rates even at comparable MSRPs. I have checked all the lease rates out there and Mercedes and BMW lease rates are just stupid!

Don't lease. Buy what you can afford.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

If you own a business and want the full tax benefits, you lease. That is why most business owners lease. You can deduct lease payments fully, but if you buy, you can only deduct a certain percentage for the first 3 years. After that, no tax benefits. Leasing is the way to go for those of us that own our own businesses and always want to drive a new car with a warranty.
    DATDAMNGOOD and OneStepAhead like this.

When I was buying cars I was throwing 20k to 40K out the window every two years. Its a miracle I can keep a leased car for 36 months. If you love to switch cars every couple of years leasing is the only way to go. I know plenty of multimillionaires that lease cars, rent condos, rent private jet time etc. I also know millionaires that drive Toyotas for 20 years. It really depends on your lifestyle, wants and needs whether you lease or buy. I assume nothing based on if someone leases or buys.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 Escalade Premium Majestic Plum Metallic

Grab the door handle on a new S-Class.

George C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by GM-4-LIFE View Post
    If you own a business and want the full tax benefits, you lease. That is why most business owners lease. You can deduct lease payments fully, but if you buy, you can only deduct a certain percentage for the first 3 years. After that, no tax benefits. Leasing is the way to go for those of us that own our own businesses and always want to drive a new car with a warranty.
    Actually, a business owner can file a section 179, and take all of the depreciating in one single year if the vehicle is used for business purposes. The only problem is when my accountant asks me what answer I would have if the IRS catches a business owner buying a luxury vehicle for business use. No problem with a Tahoe or a yukon. An Escalade may be a problem, but my accountant is ultra conservative, others accountants may have a different opinion.
    Leasing, buying.. Either way, you are spending about the same money, and the write offs are similar. I buy, and I wonder why I do that. My wife likes a new ride every three years, and leasing removes the trade in hassle. I'm just old school I guess.

Also, door handles don't bother me. They really don't mean squat. I just want a hot looking vehicle. I also order buckets in the back. More comfortable for adults and better looking. If you have trash to hide, I would suggest a garbage can, not a bench.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

No, my friend who has a 13 Platinum feels the same way. Actually he refereed to them as being "loosy goosey". Personally I think they are fine. I like them. I have plenty of other complaints though if you want to hear me rant

So basically you are dismissing the vehicle because of the door handles? Was there anything else you didn't like? They are plastic, I think likely because they light up at night. At least the Premium ones do. Looks sweet too!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by gmfamily View Post
    When I was buying cars I was throwing 20k to 40K out the window every two years. Its a miracle I can keep a leased car for 36 months. If you love to switch cars every couple of years leasing is the only way to go. I know plenty of multimillionaires that lease cars, rent condos, rent private jet time etc. I also know millionaires that drive Toyotas for 20 years. It really depends on your lifestyle, wants and needs whether you lease or buy. I assume nothing based on if someone leases or buys.
    You know plenty of multimillionaires? I need a new social group, all my friends are broke! Business owner here, I'm leasing for the rest of my life unless the tax code changes or I actually find a vehicle I want to keep for 10 years.
    gmfamily likes this.

714Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 Escalade ESV

I'm pretty sure my door handle was broken at the car wash, attendants probably can't believe a door handle can be broken by just pulling a little too hard... Then again, they are probably right to think that, but they would be wrong...

5.0 lsc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 XTS Premium
    GL blends in but escalades turn heads. Thats how its been since the 2nd gen. Yes everyone knows its a tahoe, not a secret. Ive never looked twice at a GL, range rover, lexus lx or gx, sequoia, land cruiser, x5, ect. For whatever reason escalades and even denalis always caught my eye , maybe im a common brainwashed materialistic person.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.