First impression - not that great. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, First impression - not that great. in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Tahoe07 I am buildling GL450's and GL550's on line and the price for a 450 is less ...
    Punmax is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: First impression - not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe07 View Post
    I am buildling GL450's and GL550's on line and the price for a 450 is less and the 550 is comparable. Interesting. And Mercedes parts on not shared with any other vehicles.
    Are you serious? I have a '12 Mercedes E-class, and I can find parts in the entire Mercedes line-up including supercars such as the SLS AMG that use parts that are found inside my car.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Quote Originally Posted by Punmax View Post
    Are you serious? I have a '12 Mercedes E-class, and I can find parts in the entire Mercedes line-up including supercars such as the SLS AMG that use parts that are found inside my car.
    Almost every manufacturer participates in parts sharing to save money.

ROADRUNNER2 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX 2015 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe07 View Post
    I am buildling GL450's and GL550's on line and the price for a 450 is less and the 550 is comparable. Interesting. And Mercedes parts on not shared with any other vehicles.
    Now wait a second, isn't a GL350, 450, 550 the exact same thing GM does with the base Tahoe, Denali, Escalade? Same vehicle with progressively better interiors and exteriors. Not to mention progressively higher priced.

714Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER2 View Post
    Now wait a second, isn't a GL350, 450, 550 the exact same thing GM does with the base Tahoe, Denali, Escalade? Same vehicle with progressively better interiors and exteriors. Not to mention progressively higher priced.
    Not really, they are all GLs. The numbers refer to engine displacement.
    There is a helleva big difference between cars sharing "gaskets and widgets," and totally different models with vastly different price points sharing body panels, door handles, mirrors, et al...

The Escalade should NOT be built on the same assembly line as the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL, it should have a completely different engine, and it should have completely different exterior body panels AND interior cabin designs...

Difference between contender and pretender... imo...
    But hey, I will write a check for a Platinum ESV Dark Granite/Blk as soon as possible...
    gmfamily likes this.

zerdian1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, Cadillacs, & Chevy

I have test driven all the Mercedes GLs from the GL350 to the GL63AMG at $118K. the GL63AMG is one inch longer than the GL350. Each model drives great, but it has smaller in cargo area than either my Sienna minivan or the Escalade ESV. I would say that Mercedes is a much better built car with much more attention to detail than the previous Escalades. I am hoping that there is a great improvement in the 2015 Escalade ESV Premium that I have on order. I tried to order a Platinum, but it was not orderable at my dealer last month.

Quote Originally Posted by zerdian1 View Post
    I have test driven all the Mercedes GLs from the GL350 to the GL63AMG at $118K. the GL63AMG is one inch longer than the GL350. Each model drives great, but it has smaller in cargo area than either my Sienna minivan or the Escalade ESV. I would say that Mercedes is a much better built car with much more attention to detail than the previous Escalades. I am hoping that there is a great improvement in the 2015 Escalade ESV Premium that I have on order. I tried to order a Platinum, but it was not orderable at my dealer last month.
    Are you sure GL63 is longer? Have to disagree...

runutzzzzz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Until someone builds a SUV with 3 rows with as much 3rd row & cargo space as a ESV, nothing else can compete.

We checked out the GL550's and those are at $95k and don't even all the features of the Escalade. GL's have a tiny Nav screen. Heck a $75K GL450 doesn't even have leather? Really a $75k car Vinyl seats? Then to top it off the GL450 gets some 19MPG on the highway?

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 lsc View Post
    GL blends in but escalades turn heads. Thats how its been since the 2nd gen. Yes everyone knows its a tahoe, not a secret. Ive never looked twice at a GL, range rover, lexus lx or gx, sequoia, land cruiser, x5, ect. For whatever reason escalades and even denalis always caught my eye , maybe im a common brainwashed materialistic person.
    Actually I'll admit when I bought my 2012 Platinum I had no idea it was based on the same platform as the Tahoe and Yukon. I didn't even know GM owned Chevy. Learned a lot since that time!

reels is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lincon should dust off the old Excursion prints, spice it up and give it another shot. Competition is good.

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Quote Originally Posted by runutzzzzz View Post
    Until someone builds a SUV with 3 rows with as much 3rd row & cargo space as a ESV, nothing else can compete.

We checked out the GL550's and those are at $95k and don't even all the features of the Escalade. GL's have a tiny Nav screen. Heck a $75K GL450 doesn't even have leather? Really a $75k car Vinyl seats? Then to top it off the GL450 gets some 19MPG on the highway?
    What features was it missing? The only thing missing on the GL550 and GL63 over the new Esacalade that I noticed was the HUD. But it had messaging seats, more wood and leather options, 7 speed tranny, more hp the GL63 anyways) and probably some other things too. Everything is bespoke so maybe the model you looked at just didn't have all the options? The reason I didn't get it was due to the exterior looking like a Minivan and the smaller cargo space.

But now that I have a 15 Escalade I realize the cargo space isn't at all what it used to be. This full time third row makes me lose I think 15 cubic feet. Why the 3rd isn't removable I don't understand. How many of us actually would use a third row more than a couple times a year? I've never used mine in the past 3 years. I have a feeling the FFRR cargo space is actually on par with the new Escalade now due to the third row, and I cancelled my RR order due to me thinking the vehicle was too small. For me the old third row setup was a lot better as I use the Escalade for cargo not 7 people. I just want plenty of room for 4 and enough room to fit 6-8 large suitcases.

Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi View Post
    Not really, they are all GLs. The numbers refer to engine displacement.
    There is a helleva big difference between cars sharing "gaskets and widgets," and totally different models with vastly different price points sharing body panels, door handles, mirrors, et al...

The Escalade should NOT be built on the same assembly line as the Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL, it should have a completely different engine, and it should have completely different exterior body panels AND interior cabin designs...

Difference between contender and pretender... imo...
    But hey, I will write a check for a Platinum ESV Dark Granite/Blk as soon as possible...
    You can say the GL 350, 450 and 550 are different but to GM as a parent company, its the same thing. I shopped the GL's and they are the same body, frame, interior except for upgraded components as you spend more. The GL 550 just looks so much better than the other two because of bigger wheels/tires, more ground effects and slightly different front facia, and more options for the interior. Your thinking Chev, GMC, and Cadillac are different companies when really they are all the same GM vehicle with different levels of amenities.

Punmax is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I sat in one at the dealership and I found the interior to be bland/dated. The COMAND system looks like it was released in 2001, and the entire center stack is out of a C-class.

You can say the GL 350, 450 and 550 are different but to GM as a parent company, its the same thing. I shopped the GL's and they are the same body, frame, interior except for upgraded components as you spend more. The GL 550 just looks so much better than the other two because of bigger wheels/tires, more ground effects and slightly different front facia, and more options for the interior. Your thinking Chev, GMC, and Cadillac are different companies when really they are all the same GM vehicle with different levels of amenities.
    That's a complete and utter cop out...
    Does VW Group use the same exact part on Audi and Volkswagen vehicles? Sure, there is shared research, design, and parts... But can you walk into a VW dealership and buy a door handle/window controls/liftgate/body panels for a VW that will fit an Audi identically? Geez Louise, GM doesn't even bother to change the part number for Escalade and Tahoe parts...
    How different does a Toyota Avalon look compared to a Lexus ES350? Pretty damn different, even though they are basically the same exact car...

Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi View Post
    That's a complete and utter cop out...
    Does VW Group use the same exact part on Audi and Volkswagen vehicles? Sure, there is shared research, design, and parts... But can you walk into a VW dealership and buy a door handle/window controls/liftgate/body panels for a VW that will fit an Audi identically? Geez Louise, GM doesn't even bother to change the part number for Escalade and Tahoe parts...
    Well yes I can go to my local Chev store and buy a Cadillac part because they are all GM parts. But my premium Escalade door handle with led lights inside will not be the same part number as a Tahoe or Yukon.

Well yes I can go to my local Chev store and buy a Cadillac part because they are all GM parts. But my premium Escalade door handle with led lights inside will not be the same part number as a Tahoe or Yukon.
    I would freaking hope so...But should my $100K Platinum Escalade ESV have the same cheap black plastic window controls of a $40K Tahoe???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.