2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; As some of you have read in another thread, I haven't been very happy with the paint quality on my ...
    OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue

As some of you have read in another thread, I haven't been very happy with the paint quality on my 2015 Escalade. This is my first time owning a black GM vehicle. Previously I owned white diamond and never noticed the orange peel issue, although I'm sure it was likely there. On the black it's extremely noticeable to me. This thread however is not about orange peel. It's about the seam on the back cargo door. This to me just does not look like the quality you'd expect on an 80-90K vehicle. I'm waiting to hear back from Cadillac as to what they plan to do to fix this issue. I'll keep you guys updated.

6.jpg

Here are more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/jFJck#0
    zerdian1 likes this.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Re: 2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue

YIKES, I am pretty sure mine is not that way. They clearly did not paint that area completely. You should take that back, and have it fixed (under warranty) ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by gmfamily View Post
    YIKES, I am pretty sure mine is not that way. They clearly did not paint that area completely. You should take that back, and have it fixed (under warranty) ASAP!
    Well I will say the closeup pictures make it look A LOT worse than it is in person. But it's still bad. If you have a different color, run your finger over that area and see if you can feel it.
    zerdian1 likes this.

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    Well I will say the closeup pictures make it look A LOT worse than it is in person. But it's still bad. If you have a different color, run your finger over that area and see if you can feel it.
    I have black raven as well, I will run my hands across it tonight. I think both of us leased, so the dealer needs to be aware of any and all issues.

383 LT1 SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Impala SS 383 LT12007 DTS Performance 2011 Escalade ESV

Wow. That is completely unacceptable. How that got past final QC is beyond me. Let us know the outcome after you take the truck into the dealer.

383 LT1 SS

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

The black one I had for a day was not as bad as yours, but the seam had issues. People you have to look these cars/trucks over really well when you are paying this kind of money, it maybe worth taking a third party person to look at the car/truck before paying the big bucks and finding problems down the road. Clearly the truck is unacceptable, and Caddy should be ashamed to put something that looks like this out the door.

reels is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow, that is FUGLY. I hope they fix that.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

As some of you have read in another thread, I haven't been very happy with the paint quality on my 2015 Escalade. This is my first time owning a black GM vehicle. Previously I owned white diamond and never noticed the orange peel issue, although I'm sure it was likely there. On the black it's extremely noticeable to me. This thread however is not about orange peel. It's about the seam on the back cargo door. This to me just does not look like the quality you'd expect on an 80-90K vehicle. I'm waiting to hear back from Cadillac as to what they plan to do to fix this issue. I'll keep you guys updated.
    Hi OneStepAhead,

I am sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with some aspects of the paint on your Escalade. I see that you are waiting to hear back from Cadillac regarding this concern. Have you already been in contact with a customer service team or dealership in regard to this? If you could please PM me, I would like to discuss this issue further.

Have a great day,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    The black one I had for a day was not as bad as yours, but the seam had issues. People you have to look these cars/trucks over really well when you are paying this kind of money, it maybe worth taking a third party person to look at the car/truck before paying the big bucks and finding problems down the road. Clearly the truck is unacceptable, and Caddy should be ashamed to put something that looks like this out the door.
    Well you just aren't going to notice every single little thing there on the showroom floor or over a 10 mile test drive. Most of us are buying these sight unseen anyways. I pre-ordered before I'd even seen the real vehicle, let alone the actual vehicle I'd be driving. For what it's worth I don't think this is unique to my 2015, they all are going to have issues in this spot. How bad it is might vary, but I doubt it's perfect on any of them. As I mentioned before, these pictures really magnify the issue. When you are standing 10 feet back you can hardly tell, and 15 feet away I don't think you can see it at all. However from up close it's extremely noticeable. I took these pictures with the camera maybe 1 foot away. I didn't notice it until having the car for about 5 days, and neither had anyone else. Of course now that my eyes know what to look for it's all I see when I look at the back of the truck!
    zerdian1 likes this.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Well you just aren't going to notice every single little thing there on the showroom floor or over a 10 mile test drive. Most of us are buying these sight unseen anyways. I pre-ordered before I'd even seen the real vehicle, let alone the actual vehicle I'd be driving. For what it's worth I don't think this is unique to my 2015, they all are going to have issues in this spot. How bad it is might vary, but I doubt it's perfect on any of them. As I mentioned before, these pictures really magnify the issue. When you are standing 10 feet back you can hardly tell, and 15 feet away I don't think you can see it at all. However from up close it's extremely noticeable. I took these pictures with the camera maybe 1 foot away. I didn't notice it until having the car for about 5 days, and neither had anyone else. Of course now that my eyes know what to look for it's all I see when I look at the back of the truck!
    I have probably purchased over 60 cars/trucks in my life (I am old) I spend 30-45 minutes going over every inch of every new car/truck I purchase, when buying high end used cars I will bring/send one to two people to go over the car inside out, sometimes it costs a few thousand, but if they find something I would not that really saved me a ton of money. Maybe you have a lot more money than me, but I just can't give it away, it takes to long to grow back. If we keep buying crap they will keep making crap.
    surburban99, Kaline and MrHolland like this.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

That's why I told my wife that we should order the dark granite instead of the black, but she won't listen. GM's black paint is probably the worst black paint I have ever seen and owned and the problem with black is that it shows dirt right away and it shows every scratch, every spider line and swirl mark. It is the hardest to maintain! I would advise everyone to stay away from GM's black paint. The quality is just terrible. Their other colors are not bad at all.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

If there are plastic part or inserts on the tailgate those are prepainted at another facility then installed. That almost looks like it was taped off and repainted. It looks horrible!
    It needs to be repainted and may never look right. I really wonder if GM will ever fully get it together quality wise.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    I have probably purchased over 60 cars/trucks in my life (I am old) I spend 30-45 minutes going over every inch of every new car/truck I purchase, when buying high end used cars I will bring/send one to two people to go over the car inside out, sometimes it costs a few thousand, but if they find something I would not that really saved me a ton of money. Maybe you have a lot more money than me, but I just can't give it away, it takes to long to grow back. If we keep buying crap they will keep making crap.
    Well if I were on my 60th vehicle I'd probably behave in that manner too. This is my 6th vehicle, I'm 34. I've never heard of anyone bringing a team with them to evaluate a new car purchase, on a used car purchase maybe. That is why they have warranties, so you can get things fixed after the fact. It wouldn't of mattered anyways. Had I seen it before hand I still would of taken it and had it fixed later. I was out of time and 15s were limited, unless I wanted to drive another 2 states over. For me there were no other suitable replacements on the market.
    zerdian1 likes this.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Wanting to have first (insert product here) on the market more often than not results in settling or accepting a lesser product. Like others have said here and in other sections, if you're going to be making a large purchase spend some time researching. If a person accepts a bad product, other than calling it to someone's attention so they don't make the same mistake, what else can be expected??

The previous gen was plagued with window moulding issues, among many other issues. Unhappy customers would post comments about how this should not be occurring on a luxury vehicle of this price. Two questions would come to mind, did you research the brand ahead of time and did you accept the product as it was delivered? Not an approach appreciated by a recipient of a bad product.

zerdian1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, Cadillacs, & Chevy

That looks awful. I thought GM did all their painting and spraying before assembly of the seals and windows into the body so that the edge beads that might form, would be hidden by the edge gaskets. Is it just the Clear Coat, or the Black paint? I remember you mentioning it before. I am glad you posted the pic. This will bring the topic home to us. Now everyone in the forum, at least, will know where to check on their new vehicles for a poor paint job. Hopefully, someone in GM will take note. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/08/...paint-finish/# The Mission Of GM’s Blue Suit Crew Is A Perfect Paint Finish. Looks like they failed here and with all the orange peel, I have been reading about in the forum. I have a 2015 ESV Premium in Silver on order for nearly 4 weeks, since May 16th.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.