2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I don't think another lift gate is going to look good enough. All the 2015 Escalades I've seen have this ...
    OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade Prem, 14 CTS VSport Prem, 15 RR Sport ATB

Re: 2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue

I don't think another lift gate is going to look good enough. All the 2015 Escalades I've seen have this issue to some extent. I think the only way is to repaint it or wait until inventory starts showing up that was made after they fixed the root issue at the production plant. Someone else mentioned his Yukon even has a similar issue.

I'm trying to get this fixed at my local dealer too, which isn't the dealer I leased it from. I don't think they'd actually take a part of one of their own vehicles for me. They don't even have any 2015s to take a part off of. Thanks for the advice though, I agree that would be ideal In a perfect world.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Couple of things.. I'm talking the vehicle in on Tuesday to have this seam fixed. Hopefully the tail lights from my other thread too.

They mentioned the likely course of action would be to repaint just the seam area and blend it to match. They also suggested maybe they would just repaint the entire lift gate. Someone else suggested having the entire lift gate replaced from another stock vehicle. I don't think option 3 would fix the issue or even be something they'd do. You guys that know about paint, what do you think would be the best course of action? Just repainting the seam would seem to be the cheap way out. Can that actually be done and still look good, or should I be pushing for them to repaint the entire thing?

Another question for paint guys. I've seen a youtube video of someone using velvet pads on a DA orbital getting good results reducing orange peel.

The make two pads for this purpose. Velvet and denim. Denim is the more aggressive route and they say it should only be done by a professional. The velvet pads are here: http://www.autogeek.net/orange-peel-removal-pad.html

Given that I'm only going to have the vehicle for two years at the very most, do you guys think using a porter cable with these velvet pads and some 3M compound and then following it up with last two steps from the 3M Perfect-It line I could get decent results myself? I don't think the velvet pads are agressive enough to totally burn through the clear. Id of course test a small spot first to see the results. Is this a stupid idea or worth perusing? I can actually feel the orange peel on some areas and it's really bugging me, and I don't want to pay thousands to fix CC on a leased vehicle. On the flip side I don't want to spend thousands fixing my amateur attempt at orange peel reduction either.

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

The truth is, ALL car makes have a "orange peel" to some degree. Unfortunately, BLACK is the biggest offender when it comes to showing it off. You can get rid of orange peel, by doing a wet sand and it takes someone with experience w/ many man hours to complete this process correctly.

With that said, conducting a wet sand on a daily driver and reducing the clear coat down to a fraction in thickness, is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. Unless, you want a true "show car" or garage queen. My recommendation is to scour the internet forums for a professional detailer and get a good decon done with a quality sealant that will last a year or two. It will actually minimize the orange peel to some extent. Just my honest opinion...

Mike

I'm not going to wet sand.. I was thinking of following this process

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...alaysian-pads/

He did that with a velvet pad and a single polish.

davidaugust111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '15 ESV, '12 CTS

I would suggest not trying it yourself. All of the links are using rotary buffers which are much more aggressive than a Porter Cable orbital. The P.C. would almost certainly not get the job done and an ill-used rotary can scorch or burn through in a second. You might try posting on the two Autopia forums for a local detailer that is familiar with that system and see what they would charge.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade
    Why do anything if you are getting rid of it in 2 years as per your previous post.

George C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Personally, I wouldn't mess with it, at least not yet.
    Look at it as saving the clear for buffing or sanding down the road.
    Orange peel yes, but also brand new clean.

Give the vehicle a year's worth of all weather driving, along with snow, hail, road debris, every kid touching it with food on their hands...
    Then next year, you have a full thickness of clear coat (which is microscopic anyway) to remove that layer of year old surface clear & orange peel, and get back that brand new, smooth as silk finish you were supposed to get.

With the minimal amount of clear from the factory, you can only strip away so much before you hit the base coat. You might have one, or maybe two shots at a strip buff at best.

Well I'd do it now so I can enjoy the vehicle for the limited time that I have it. I'm probably going to take George's advice and just not mess with it. I'm just going to trade it in come fall I think. It's not worth the hassle trying to turn the vehicle into something I'm happy with when I can just get a new vehicle that I'm happy with from the start (hopefully, not sure a vehicle like that exists, haha)

George C is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    , not sure a vehicle like that exists, haha)
    _62559103_jex_1502038_de39-1.jpg

Yeah, it does..
    OneStepAhead and wav1911 like this.

dbusicchia is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD

That doesn't look like a paint issue, it looks like the seam weld wasn't ground/polished down to a smooth finish which when painted makes it look like poor quality fit and finish much like most of GM's products. I own a 2009 CTS4 that has many flaws in the interior as well as the exterior, the orange peel is awefull on the black raven paint, I even compared mine to my Father-in-law's 2013 Brilliant Black audi A6 and the audi barely has any visible orange peel or any defects to be seen for that matter. I for one won't be continuing to purchase Cadillacs or any other GM product until they can prove they are quality minded and until they catch up with the rest of the luxury manufacturers in technology. Shame on you GM for proving once again that American vehicles are just inferior to Japanese or German makes.
    I have always been an American made buyer but I can not tolerate sub par vehicles any more. Bring on the advanced tech and superior fit and finish and I will definitely switch back to GM.

johncel1005 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I just picked up my black/ black premium on Saturday. I washed it this weekend and noticed I have the same paint problem on the tailgate seam. I'm not sure if it's worth dealing with trying to have it repaired. The only way to repair that seam correctly is to have the complete tailgate re-painted. It's not orange peel, the seam is full of excess paint, like it ran and pooled in the seam. I'm gonna have my dealer look at it but I too plan to upgrade to a platinum next year so I'll probable just deal with it.

PlatinumLover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Premium Escalade/2013 ATS

I picked mine up today, same thing. Not as bad as Onestep but noticeable to touch....what to do?

eighthtry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS V

Be careful. They will recall it and replace the ignition switch.

Well guys I'm taking mine in about three hours to have this seam fixed, airbag refixed, and possibly the passenger side tail light replaced. I should have it back in three days at which point I will take a new picture and post it. Hopefully it's not worse then before! For the record I didn't have a single complaint about my 2012 except the lack of technology inside. It seems like all I do is complain about this 2015, really disappointing to have all these issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.