2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Re: 2015 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Clear Coat / Paint Quality Issue

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post
    Wanting to have first (insert product here) on the market more often than not results in settling or accepting a lesser product. Like others have said here and in other sections, if you're going to be making a large purchase spend some time researching. If a person accepts a bad product, other than calling it to someone's attention so they don't make the same mistake, what else can be expected??

The previous gen was plagued with window moulding issues, among many other issues. Unhappy customers would post comments about how this should not be occurring on a luxury vehicle of this price. Two questions would come to mind, did you research the brand ahead of time and did you accept the product as it was delivered? Not an approach appreciated by a recipient of a bad product.
    Of course I researched the crap out of the vehicle, as much as you can for a product that no one actually owned yet when I placed the order. I already had a 2012 Escalade before this, so I'm aware of the vehicles pros and cons. The long process of actually obtaining this vehicle gave me even more time to research it and the competition. I didn't post this to be ridiculed as to how I should of noticed it before hand or should of researched better. You make it out like this paint issue is my fault or something. As I said before, it wouldn't of mattered had I seen it ahead of time. I only posted this so others could examine their vehicles for similar issues and perspective buyers could be made aware of it. I'll get it fixed one way or another, and I'll follow up here with how I accomplished that.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by zerdian1 View Post
    That looks awful. I thought GM did all their painting and spraying before assembly of the seals and windows into the body so that the edge beads that might form, would be hidden by the edge gaskets. Is it just the Clear Coat, or the Black paint? I remember you mentioning it before. I am glad you posted the pic. This will bring the topic home to us. Now everyone in the forum, at least, will know where to check on their new vehicles for a poor paint job. Hopefully, someone in GM will take note. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2013/08/...paint-finish/# The Mission Of GM’s Blue Suit Crew Is A Perfect Paint Finish. Looks like they failed here and with all the orange peel, I have been reading about in the forum. I have a 2015 ESV Premium in Silver on order for nearly 4 weeks, since May 16th.
    It's just the clear coat, the paint itself is fine.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

Why would GM let the car leave the factory in the first place? They have all those fluorescent lights at the end of the assembly line to check things exactly like this. I think plant management should be held responsible for cars that leave the factory with paint defects like that. Ridiculous!
    OneStepAhead likes this.

NYTFLT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade, 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible

My Silver Coast Metallic has orange peel appearance to it if you look very closely. My rear seam looks much better than that picture you posted.

I've heard back from the dealer and in about 2 weeks time I will be bringing the vehicle to their body shop to have this issue corrected at no expense to myself. It may require repainting the entire cargo door, they'll decide once they see it in person. They talked to GM about this and apparently they have been aware of the problem and are retooling something in the assembly line to correct this issue. I assume that means many of the earlier builds are going to have this issue to some extent.
    gmfamily likes this.

Just an update. My local dealer dealer was supposed to call me a week ago with an exact date they wanted me to being the vehicle into the body shop. Didn't hear back from them so I called them yesterday. Apparently they "forgot" about it. Can't get me in until the week of July 7th. So that's a full month after I reported the issue.

gmfamily is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    Just an update. My local dealer dealer was supposed to call me a week ago with an exact date they wanted me to being the vehicle into the body shop. Didn't hear back from them so I called them yesterday. Apparently they "forgot" about it. Can't get me in until the week of July 7th. So that's a full month after I reported the issue.
    Yes, it is very easy for them to "forget" about people who just purchased a 80k to 90k vehicle. If I was not living this purchase nightmare, I would never believe it.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade

Im not trying to be rude, but I dont think a lot of people know what 'orange peel' is..... if you look at paint closely it doesnt look flat, but it is... if you want more shine than you can always get it wet sanded. Orange peel is when you can feel the difference as well, there is divots and almost looks like it has a grain finish. Next time you are in a parking lot go look at lot of paint finishes (will be much harder to notice in metallic paints). You will see what everyone thiniks is orange peel in GMs black raven, its in every other non metallic paint out there.... the attached piture IS NOT orange peel.
    Attached Images

Well call it what you want, but that picture you just posted looks like crap. I agree with you it's not specific to GM, it's just black paint shows the orange peel effect extremely well. Metallic and lighter colors hide it.

This thread isn't about orange peel anyways... it's about my rear cargo / lift gate seam.

runutzzzzz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    Well call it what you want, but that picture you just posted looks like crap. I agree with you it's not specific to GM, it's just black paint shows the orange peel effect extremely well. Metallic and lighter colors hide it.

This thread isn't about orange peel anyways... it's about my rear cargo / lift gate seam.
    My 15' Black Denali looked the same way. IIRC the rear tail gate is now aluminum, I wonder if that seem is a weld or silicone sealant? Everytime I washed the Denali I would stare at that ugly seam and thin there was something stuck in it!

We will see if my 15' Escalade has the same issue, which I'm sure it will!

It looks like it could be a weld to me

Stumbled across this today.. The owner had a black raven escalade and had it repainted white. Apparently he doesn't like the white diamond tricoat and wanted regular white.

http://www.wcmotoring.com/custom-painted-escalade/

I agree about your rear liftgate, that should be fixed. was just jumping to the orange peel/gm bad paint issues. hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sdgc View Post
    I agree about your rear liftgate, that should be fixed. was just jumping to the orange peel/gm bad paint issues. hope it works out for you.
    Sdgc,

I hadn't actually tried to feel the paint on my vehicle before, but last night I gave it try. Turns out you can actually feel the orange peel on the front of my hood.

If you can feel it, then yes its most likely a crappy paint job /' orange peel'. The paint posted cannot be felte, its more like eggshell. If vehicles were not painted with eggshell texture you would see every minor scratch and dent. The texture is there to be more of a 4 footer/6 footer look.

snidebj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Escalade

I had an Avalanche 6.0 liter with a p_ss poor paint job on the hood. I test drove then purchased it in the evening with fading light and did not notice the paint job until I had it at work the next day. Took it immediately back to the dealer who then called GM. The offered to respray the hood but were in agreement that it wouldn't match the rest of the Avalanche's greystone metallic paint. The dealer had 2 other Avalanches the same color and took the hood off of both and tried them on mine. The 2nd hood they put on was a perfect match. And it was factory paint!

To make a long story short. Ask for a whole new back hatch off of one in their lot. In and out within hours. You will probably never be satisfied if its resprayed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.