2014 Escalade versus 2015 Escalade...Not Even in the Same League!!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2014 Escalade versus 2015 Escalade...Not Even in the Same League!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; The penalty is you have to pay the rest of the payments, if you are turning it in early to ...
    OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Re: 2014 Escalade versus 2015 Escalade...Not Even in the Same League!!!

The penalty is you have to pay the rest of the payments, if you are turning it in early to the lender. On my Ally lease I can log into ally's website and it will tell me what the current payoff amount is, if I want out. If you are trading in the vehicle to the dealer early however this is what happens:

"The dealer pays off your old lease balance, buys the car from the lease company for his used car lot, gives you trade-in credit for the car, and either adds or deducts any difference to your new purchase or lease.

If the cost to the dealer of paying off your lease is higher than the credit he gives you for the car, the deficit, or negative equity, is added to your new purchase or lease.

If the cost is lower, the difference is subtracted from your new purchase or lease and treated as a down payment. All these figures should explicitly appear in your new purchase or lease contract."

So I believe you add the total balance left on your lease payments + residual value to figure out what the buy-out is. Your "penalty" will be how much the buyout is minus what the car is worth to the dealer. If you put down a large down payment, this could be a credit. If you had no down payment, you can count on it going the other way.

zerdian1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy

Onestepahead,
    My loan is also with Ally (old GMAC) with whatever they give us with GMFamilyFirst.
    But car is months from delivery. The my ESV premium has been in 1100 status for 4+ weeks.
    Hopefully, they are holing it to add all the new options in the pipeline like 360 Camera, OnStar 4G LTE & WiFi, 8 speed trans, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

GM-4-LIFE is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    The penalty is you have to pay the rest of the payments, if you are turning it in early to the lender. On my Ally lease I can log into ally's website and it will tell me what the current payoff amount is, if I want out. If you are trading in the vehicle to the dealer early however this is what happens:

"The dealer pays off your old lease balance, buys the car from the lease company for his used car lot, gives you trade-in credit for the car, and either adds or deducts any difference to your new purchase or lease.

If the cost to the dealer of paying off your lease is higher than the credit he gives you for the car, the deficit, or negative equity, is added to your new purchase or lease.

If the cost is lower, the difference is subtracted from your new purchase or lease and treated as a down payment. All these figures should explicitly appear in your new purchase or lease contract."

So I believe you add the total balance left on your lease payments + residual value to figure out what the buy-out is. Your "penalty" will be how much the buyout is minus what the car is worth to the dealer. If you put down a large down payment, this could be a credit. If you had no down payment, you can count on it going the other way.
    Correct! Thanks! You saved me some time and energy!

I always try to lease as I don't keep cars long and usually not even the full lease term. Since I get GM Employee pricing plus rebates, when I go to trade cars in early, I am usually at break-even point or positive point if I keep the car at least a year. The discounts I get upfront eats up most if not all of the initial depreciation. It helps a lot!

Nihsel10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum 2011 Escalade ESV 2008 Hummer H2

Gave Mocha (2011 Premium ESV) for service yesterday and picked up today. It was parked next to a 2015 Dark Granite Escalade which was cool and was able to compare the differences. Front are great change, kinda like the upgraded version of the platinum front grill. For some reason, I feel like the truck has lowered a bit and width size a reduced. Still looked nice though. It was a 2wd premium priced at 82k.

Here is a pic of Mocha and the new 2015.

Edit: Ignore about the truck being lowered part. I just figured out it was on sport mode. Figures.
    Attached Images
    wav1911 likes this.

Sport mode lowers the vehicle? Even if that's true, isn't the vehicle in park? I've played around with the Sport and Touring modes and I didn't notice the vehicle raising or lowering like our Jeep GC does.

I thought Sport just made the suspension stiffer and maybe tweaked the transmission a little. It seemed to me like in Touring mode my Escalade shifts to a higher gear once it reaches 2000RPM's and in Sport mode it shifts at 3000RPMs, but it may be totally unrelated. I don't notice any suspension differences between the two modes at all, they must be very subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    Sport mode lowers the vehicle? Even if that's true, isn't the vehicle in park? I've played around with the Sport and Touring modes and I didn't notice the vehicle raising or lowering like our Jeep GC does.

I thought Sport just made the suspension stiffer and maybe tweaked the transmission a little. It seemed to me like in Touring mode my Escalade shifts to a higher gear once it reaches 2000RPM's and in Sport mode it shifts at 3000RPMs, but it may be totally unrelated. I don't notice any suspension differences between the two modes at all, they must be very subtle.

Usually when suspension stiffens, the car lowers. My GL does the same when I switch the suspension to Sport, car lowers, and raises when in Comfort, even in park. You won't notice it unless you have an eagle eye or take some time looking at the changes.Play around with it and look from outside and inside. I will take a pic of my GL when in sport and comfort setting when I have time. Like you said, its subtle for some people.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

I went and saw and test drove a new Escalade Premium today just for shits and giggles.

The dealer had two there, one in black and one in white diamond. Both looked pretty but the WD looked much better because the chrome, huge tails, and gigantic front emblem seem to less obtrusive against it.

The interior is beautiful, leaps and bounds over the NNBS ... the finishes are much higher quality than before as well, although once you start pushing things around like trays and other stuff they retain a familiar GM cheapness underneath, probably because under the skin they use similar parts to the Tahoe/Yukon.

Driving it was a pleasure, the 6.2 continues to be a beast of an engine, but this latest iteration will not be optimally used until the 8 speed gets here, probably for the 16 model year ... until then, the six speed has the same clumsy/laggy upshifting as the NNBS.

The main problem as I suspected is the Cue system and the ergonomics in general. Trying to turn the volume up and down on the dash is a 50/50 proposition. Half the time it works half the time it doesn't, even the salesman seemed exasperated with trying to make it work in front of customers and said to basically forget the dash and use the steering wheel volume controls. The lag of the infotainment is significant, in many ways it seemed worse than the NNBS system, and that was a slow outdated system to begin with.

The other problem is what they've done to make the third row fold flat, which is basically a joke and results in having less cargo space than before. At least they should have retained the option of removing the third row and tray so that space can be maximized.

In many ways it's a little unfair to step into the new Esky from my current Range Rover V8SC, for there's really no comparison in terms of performance and finishes. Not that mine is perfect mind you, for example the nav system isn't the fastest either, and it is also about $25k more.

Generally speaking I have to concede that I like the new Esky more than I thought I would. The grille, tails and the front emblem, although not to my taste, looked better in person than in pictures.

Long story short, it's a nice vehicle ... depending what other trims they add down the road I'm not averse to the idea of getting one down the line, especially if they make a more aggressive sportier version along the lines of my old NNBS 12 Premium.

Have to admit I had to google NNBS. Since I'm sure most won't know what is means either, I'll save you the trouble. It's New New Body Style. I usually hear/read people refer to the old gen as the GMT 900. You learn something new every day.

Glad to hear someone else agrees about the 3rd row. I see the old GMT 900 get slammed in reviews because it doesn't have a powered 3rd row, and the new 15's praised in reviews for having a powered 3rd row. I just want the darn thing out of there, I have no use for it and I miss the cargo space. It also doesn't lay completely flat. Two days ago I opened the rear cargo door and had all my groceries fall to the ground thanks to the incline. A $4.00 dozen of organic cage free eggs cracked onto the pavement. First world problems.

gmfamily is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS V-Sport/2015 Escalade/Sold 2013 CTS-V Stealth Ed

Quote Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
    I went and saw and test drove a new Escalade Premium today just for shits and giggles.

The dealer had two there, one in black and one in white diamond. Both looked pretty but the WD looked much better because the chrome, huge tails, and gigantic front emblem seem to less obtrusive against it.

The interior is beautiful, leaps and bounds over the NNBS ... the finishes are much higher quality than before as well, although once you start pushing things around like trays and other stuff they retain a familiar GM cheapness underneath, probably because under the skin they use similar parts to the Tahoe/Yukon.

Driving it was a pleasure, the 6.2 continues to be a beast of an engine, but this latest iteration will not be optimally used until the 8 speed gets here, probably for the 16 model year ... until then, the six speed has the same clumsy/laggy upshifting as the NNBS.

The main problem as I suspected is the Cue system and the ergonomics in general. Trying to turn the volume up and down on the dash is a 50/50 proposition. Half the time it works half the time it doesn't, even the salesman seemed exasperated with trying to make it work in front of customers and said to basically forget the dash and use the steering wheel volume controls. The lag of the infotainment is significant, in many ways it seemed worse than the NNBS system, and that was a slow outdated system to begin with.

The other problem is what they've done to make the third row fold flat, which is basically a joke and results in having less cargo space than before. At least they should have retained the option of removing the third row and tray so that space can be maximized.

In many ways it's a little unfair to step into the new Esky from my current Range Rover V8SC, for there's really no comparison in terms of performance and finishes. Not that mine is perfect mind you, for example the nav system isn't the fastest either, and it is also about $25k more.

Generally speaking I have to concede that I like the new Esky more than I thought I would. The grille, tails and the front emblem, although not to my taste, looked better in person than in pictures.

Long story short, it's a nice vehicle ... depending what other trims they add down the road I'm not averse to the idea of getting one down the line, especially if they make a more aggressive sportier version along the lines of my old NNBS 12 Premium.

I agree with A LOT of what you said. I also agree there are some bits and pieces that don't feel high quality. That being said, those low quality parts will not be addressed in any new trim level. You will not see Range Rover like quality until the Escalade moves to the Lambda platform (if ever). The Escalade is a truck and that is what we all love about it. This generation is more "Cadillac" but it is still a truck. The fact that it is a truck (one of the few left) is the reason I bought one. The Range Rover is Bentlyesk and unrivaled in its blend of luxury/off road capability/tech and style. What the Range Rove is not, is a living room on wheels. If your looking for a luxury truck, there is no substitute for the Escalade. Could Cadillac have made the redesign even better ........ YES and they will. With each year and new trims the Escalade will improve but its price will continue to Escalate as well. At that point you have to ask yourself how much are you willing to pay for a Silverado with a topper. Once you get to 100K and over you really start to want a little bit more a la AMG/M/ or Range Rover.
    OneStepAhead and wav1911 like this.

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Welcome back Mr.S!!! How've you been?? I miss that NNBS knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post
    Welcome back Mr.S!!! How've you been?? I miss that NNBS knowledge.
    Hi there Mr H.

I miss this place, the RR forums are full of silly snobs like myself ... I hate those guys.

That's almost reason enough to get back into an Esky sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
    Hi there Mr H.

I miss this place, the RR forums are full of silly snobs like myself ... I hate those guys.

That's almost reason enough to get back into an Esky sooner rather than later.
    how do you like your RR so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihsel10 View Post
    how do you like your RR so far?
    Without meaning to derail thread too much, I really love it. It's really a special type of vehicle ... not many SUVs out there with 510HP that can do 0-60 in 4.3s, have 20" Brembos to stop, whilst retaining fantastic off road capabilities, and doing all of this in the lap of luxury with impeccable design and high quality finishes. It's basically a high performance sports car hidden inside a luxury SUV body. I also like the fact that it's more discreet than the new Escalade and doesn't come at you with a chrome locomotive front end. That's why the only way I can see myself buying a new Esky in the future is if like I said above, they do a sportier trim like my 12 Premium was with a LOT more color matched parts and with the dual out exhaust.

The RR is a slightly smaller vehicle than the Escalade though, which is fine for us, but not for anyone who needs a third row seat as it doesn't have one. We also do not tow, and although it has decent towing capability, it's nowhere near that of the GM full size SUVs.

I think there is a enough of a market for both types of vehicles, all the way from the Tahoe LS, to the Escalade, to the RR. If price were an issue and my max budget was $85K, I would have bought the 15 Escalade Premium over the Rang Rover V6 which are about the same price, but since I could get the V8SC I bought that because it's really a vehicle without an equal. Even the GL63 AMG, which costs more than my RR, is about the same in road performance but useless off road.
    OneStepAhead likes this.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

My GL63 goes anywhere my Escalade's went off road, ie. deep snow and unpaved roads where I live, and does way better than I thought it would, it also handles much better and stops much better than the range rover, have not seen one on the street to run against my GL63 yet, but I keep looking
    gmfamily likes this.

Indeed the GL63 will go anywhere the NNBS Escalade goes off road, which is not many places but some gravel or uneven pavement ... heck the NNBS Escalade wasn't even 4WD. Their drivetrains are there to assist the driver when confronted with the odd off road excursion or better traction in extreme weather condition. The new Escalade however, with the 4WD system and the bones of a body on truck frame will have better off road capabilities than any GL. Either way there'll be none of this going on with either of those vehicles:

And one of the old version Sport with the outdated drivetrain:

The whole point of the RR V8SC is that it can do all the above off road AND be on par performance with an GL63 on road, AND with the highest level of luxury, and can tow up to 7700lbs.

Listen, I don't want to get in a pissing contest and I'm not trying to knock on the GL or the Escalade, hopefully everyone is overjoyed with their respective vehicle choices ... they are all great vehicles with attributes that appeal to their respective owners. That said, the facts are the facts and the capabilities of each vehicle are well documented. Ultimately, the GL isn't even Mercedes' competition with the RR V8SC ... the closest thing Mercedes makes to it is the G63, which is a beast of a truck but an extremely outdated one in design, comfort, and technology.

I'm sorry I answered the question on how I like my RR ... so this will be my last post on anything other than cadillac related.

On topic ... I'm seeing more and more 15+ Escalades on the road these days. They are growing on me and I'll probably buy one in a couple of years.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.