2014 Escalade versus 2015 Escalade...Not Even in the Same League!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2014 Escalade versus 2015 Escalade...Not Even in the Same League!!! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've returned from the dealer and had them examine the orange peel. They stated they thought it was the worst ...
    OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 15 Escalade Prem, 14 CTS VSport Prem, 15 RR Sport ATB

Re: 2014 Escalade versus 2015 Escalade...Not Even in the Same League!!!

I've returned from the dealer and had them examine the orange peel. They stated they thought it was the worst paint job they've seen on an Escalade. I also didn't buy it from the dealer that said this, had I bought it from them maybe they would of chosen their word more carefully. I went and looked at their other black vehicles on the lot and they all had pretty bad orange peel, so I'm not sure mine is much different in that regard. They offered to wet sand it for me. Price was going to be $2600, but she did suggest since it was brand new they might be able to get GM to pay for part of it. Remains to be seen if that's true. I'm not going to do it anyways on a leased vehicle. I'll just deal with it for now and trade it in for something that isn't black when the platinum comes out or a suitable competitor steps up to the plate.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    I've returned from the dealer and had them examine the orange peel. They stated they thought it was the worst paint job they've seen on an Escalade. I also didn't buy it from the dealer that said this, had I bought it from them maybe they would of chosen their word more carefully. I went and looked at their other black vehicles on the lot and they all had pretty bad orange peel, so I'm not sure mine is much different in that regard. They offered to wet sand it for me. Price was going to be $2600, but she did suggest since it was brand new they might be able to get GM to pay for part of it. Remains to be seen if that's true. I'm not going to do it anyways on a leased vehicle. I'll just deal with it for now and trade it in for something that isn't black when the platinum comes out or a suitable competitor steps up to the plate.

You can get it done MUCH cheaper by a shop that is much better than any dealership, it's the hood and sides that are the problem areas, the paint quality has always been any issue on the Escalade, my last two srx caddy's have had much better paint than any of my Escalade's.

shelstreet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Is this orange peel look only on the black paint?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    You can get it done MUCH cheaper by a shop that is much better than any dealership, it's the hood and sides that are the problem areas, the paint quality has always been any issue on the Escalade, my last two srx caddy's have had much better paint than any of my Escalade's.
    Get a ladder, its the top too... LOL! !!

Quote Originally Posted by shelstreet View Post
    Is this orange peel look only on the black paint?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    No it's there on all the colors, it just shows more on darker colors

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post
    Get a ladder, its the top too... LOL! !!
    No you are correct, but because of the height and the ribs of the roof you get away with it, but of course it's everywhere.

perlmane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    If you had a low end Chevy and the paint came like this, would you tolerate it? No way! You would insist that it be fixed under warrantee. Why treat this vehicle any differently?

reels is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Regarding orange peeled paint, I guess I don't understand why you would accept a vehicle like that at purchase?

perlmane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by reels View Post
    Regarding orange peeled paint, I guess I don't understand why you would accept a vehicle like that at purchase?
    Your point is better than mine. Why accept a defective product in the first place?

shelstreet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

So true!

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Congrats on your new Slade !! I'm sure it drives like a dream and that interior is better then anything from Germany, Japan and Britain . The exterior will take time to grow on most people.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by reels
    Well said. A reminder to park our excitement when picking up a new car and really give the car a good once over before signing the check !

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by mrholland View Post
    don't encourage him......
    lmao!

Here is why:

I didn't notice it before purchasing
    Even if I had, black was the only option the dealer had
    I've been looking at other black cars since noticing this and I haven't found a single one that doesn't have orange peel. Some are worse than others but they all have it, that I've seen anyways.

Why would they fix something under warranty that isn't considered a defect and is present on every car they make? Apparently customers have just come to expect orange peel paint or just don't notice.

It can be seen on all colors but black is most noticeable. I've just never had a black vehicle before so this is new to me.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DG2 View Post
    Congrats on your new Slade !! I'm sure it drives like a dream and that interior is better then anything from Germany, Japan and Britain . The exterior will take time to grow on most people.[COLOR="Silver"]
    You are baiting me right?

kars79 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland
    Don't encourage him......
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by reels View Post
    It's on Porsche's and Benz's too, usually just not as much. In 2009 I turned down a diamond white Escalade that looked like it was painted with a brush, ordered another one and it was better, and lighter colors do not show the peel as much in general.

Yep I just went to the Mercedes dealership an hour ago to scope out their black cars. The orange peel on the S550 is on par with my 2015 Escalade. Unfortunately orange peel is just an industry standard, I don't believe my 15 Escalade is any worse compared to other black OEM paint jobs I've seen. I just didn't notice it before. Once you do notice it it becomes hard to see anything else. Next time I'll get a lighter color.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.