2015 Escalade safety recall
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac Escalade and ESV Forum - 2015+ Discussion, 2015 Escalade safety recall in Cadillac Escalade Forums; We've only owned our 2015 Escalade for a week and a half, but yesterday we got a letter Fedexed to ...
    MAJ MALFUNCTION is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade

2015 Escalade safety recall

We've only owned our 2015 Escalade for a week and a half, but yesterday we got a letter Fedexed to us from GM - the Escalade already has a safety recall.

Apparently, one of the welds behind the dash was not heated to the proper temp and the result is that the passenger side airbag may not deploy completely in the event of an collision.

The letter says that it's okay to continue driving the truck, but you should not allow anyone to ride in the front passenger seat. The "part" that is required to fix the issue is not currently available. When it is, we're going to have to take out truck in to the dealer so they can rip out the whole dash and fix the problem.

I'm not sure if this is all new 2015 Escalades will fall under this recall or just a small lot of trucks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

714Cadi is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 Escalade ESV

Re: 2015 Escalade safety recall

Condolences, not the kind of news one likes getting...
    I don't like saying this, but any time the dash is "ripped out," it does not bode well for the future. Potential creaks and squeaks may pop up down the line...

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

It happens sometimes, it's the problem with having the first, it's the story of my life.

zurich is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have been shopping for a new 2015 ESV and the dealer just told me they stopped production and have a hold on all sales... Yikes....I was about to post here to ask if anyone knew why and I think you answered the question.....Holy crap....thank you for posting!

OneStepAhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2015 Escalade Premium - Majestic Orange Peel Black

Quote Originally Posted by zurich View Post
    I have been shopping for a new 2015 ESV and the dealer just told me they stopped production and have a hold on all sales... Yikes....I was about to post here to ask if anyone knew why and I think you answered the question.....Holy crap....thank you for posting!
    It's not on all sales, only vehicles that were built during a certain time. Dealers have a list of VINs they can't sell, it's not every single one.

zurich is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by OneStepAhead View Post
    It's not on all sales, only vehicles that were built during a certain time. Dealers have a list of VINs they can't sell, it's not every single one.
    So if its the truth that there was a weld issue and they have stopped production...they just started producing these...doesn't seem logical that a 'few' were OK and a few not- Seems more logical to think that everything they have produced thus far has to be fixed which is why they stopped production..... Gives me considerable nervousness....checking out RR now and hoping for the best...

Quote Originally Posted by zurich View Post
    So if its the truth that there was a weld issue and they have stopped production...they just started producing these...doesn't seem logical that a 'few' were OK and a few not- Seems more logical to think that everything they have produced thus far has to be fixed which is why they stopped production..... Gives me considerable nervousness....checking out RR now and hoping for the best...
    It does actually, the early builds of the Premiums and possibly others were made on a different production line completely, from what I've been told. My guess is it depends what line the vehicle was built on.

2015EscaladeGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I posted the same a few days ago when I got a email from GM telling me about the recall, I got the leter via FedEx on Saturday too. What I find interesting is this Recall is not in the Federal Safety Recall Database: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

714Cadi is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 Escalade ESV

This "built on a different production line" is confusing, I thought the Arlington plant was the sole production point for Escalades? Are these early units then some sort of pre-production models?

fltsfshr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade Platinum Edition(traded)

A week frame malfunction and no parts. Make them take it back.

Easy lawyer job

fltsfshr

Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi View Post
    This "built on a different production line" is confusing, I thought the Arlington plant was the sole production point for Escalades? Are these early units then some sort of pre-production models?
    That is what I was told by the GM at our local dealership. True or not I don't know. He went as far as to claim some of the early premiums were not originally built as premiums. They retrofitted ACC and illuminated door handles into luxury models. He called me immediately after getting off the phone with GM and stated this and named dropped a bunch of people I've never heard of. It makes sense that GM would need to build some vehicles prior to ramping up mass production for trade shows and reviewers. Maybe they built some extras as well for dealer stock. He referred to these early release as "spec cars".

AFAIK there is no official recall, it's just GM being proactive.

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

it is not an official recall as not too many escalade has been delivered unless I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by evois View Post
    it is not an official recall as not too many escalade has been delivered unless I'm wrong?
    Hell half of the dealers I've spoken with don't even know why they can't sell the vehicles. I have to tell them about the airbag issue. "Well sir if you'd like you can put a deposit down and we will run financing now, I'm sure we can fix the airbag in a day or two" Um wait, 30 seconds ago you didn't even know there was an airbag problem and now your claiming it will be fixed in a day or two? Nice try! Call me when you can actually sell the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 714Cadi View Post
    Found an interesting article that talks about this.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...suv-launch.ece

It looks like they build some Escalades on the same line as other vehicles during the early stages. They say the very early ones are used for crash testing and not sold. But it also goes on to say there is three pre production phases. Maybe the 3rd phase are vehicles they actually do sell. They were built in Arlington, but maybe not during the final mass production phase. Might of been built on the Yukon line for example.

"Because the new SUVs are about the same length and width as current models, they can roll down the line along with the 1,000 or so 2014 trucks that the plant assembles daily."

JP1
    JP1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I spoke with a rep from the Cadillac Assistance center as noted on the recall letter I received Saturday via FedEx. She was clueless and told me she couldn't locate any information on 2015 Escalades being recalled. I gave her the GM recall number and she was able to locate it however, she told me per her database my VIN had not been attached to the recall list. I also asked her why the recall was not the Government's database and of course, she didn't know. She did however say the dealers were officially notified on 5/19 and there was no ETA for the part required to fix it. Perhaps it's time to contact our local news outlet to get some answers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.