Cadillac Owners Forum banner

4wd vs awd

35K views 65 replies 16 participants last post by  sdgc 
#1 ·
How many of you noticed that 2015 escalade is 4wd not awd ?

#10 ·
wav1911 said:
It's looks to be 4wd. If you look really close at some of the interior pix , there is a dial to the left of the steering wheel that's indicates "2wd,auto 4wheel" I think ??
You are right
It's just like the 07 tahoe I had.

Didn't like the 4wd
Liked escalade awd a lot better
Gas mileage is not much different

07 tahoe 5.3 4wd I was getting 15mpg
09 escalade awd I get 13.5 mpg

#11 ·
AWD handles better, 4WD has more traction.

AWD is good for most road situations, but if you have AWD and your rear tires are stuck in the snow, you are probably getting yanked out by a 4WD truck.

I personally prefer max utility so I would take 4WD over AWD. I actually think Caddy needs to do this to justify a higher price for the Escalade. The advanced 4WD systems offerred by some of the $100k competition are really good.

#17 ·
the current 4wd system of the escalade hybrid is perfect. 4 hi and 4 lo lockable as proven in my snow travel when a blizzard hit Illinois and have to go off the beaten tracks as the whole I55 was closed. it happened before as well when the whole state of NM was closed in I40. the 4wd of the escalade called for safe and ontime travels without me using my chains.

#19 ·
prosseda said:
Auto is not AWD. The keywords are full-time vs part-time.
that's why 4wd is better than awd. the escalade awd is full time but doesn't have low range. why reinvent a system like my range rover's awd with low range and lockable when you can just go to the parts bin and use the 4wd system. your key word full time vs part time is an old lay man nomenclature. some part time systems are pretty much sophisticated that it adds better mileage than a full time system.

#21 ·
It's a safety thing too all wheel drive can be handy in the rain. Ok the latest from the area rep that helped me out before and claims to have driven the new Escalade, the trucks that were there to be drive were 2wd/4wd trucks, and he said they really flew in the 2 wd mode (sure they would) he also said the fully loaded price would be between 83k and 87k depending on the model, so around the platinum price as was reported, no word on a platinum model but he claims that it is a done deal and will be priced between 90k and 96k, that was his report from 5:30 pm 10/29/2013 :) for what it's worth

#23 ·
……..he also said the fully loaded price would be between 83k and 87k depending on the model, so around the platinum price as was reported, no word on a platinum model but he claims that it is a done deal and will be priced between 90k and 96k, that was his report from 5:30 pm 10/29/2013 :) for what it's worth
the website says, standard, luxury and premium. where will the platinum fit in?

#22 ·
hcvone said:
It's a safety thing too all wheel drive can be handy in the rain. Ok the latest from the area rep that helped me out before and claims to have driven the new Escalade, the trucks that were there to be drive were 2wd/4wd trucks, and he said they really flew in the 2 wd mode (sure they would) he also said the fully loaded price would be between 83k and 87k depending on the model, so around the platinum price as was reported, no word on a platinum model but he claims that it is a done deal and will be priced between 90k and 96k, that was his report from 5:30 pm 10/29/2013 :) for what it's worth
Is this the same guy who told you 15 escalade awd ?

#25 ·
how much improvement can they add in the new escalade? it already has led lights, plush leather interior based on the preview, specially cut/carved real wood trim, etc? unless they change the grille to something else less 2nd generation and make it more like 3rd(previous generation)?

#27 ·
I have owned many 4wd drive trucks over the years (89,92,96,99,01,04,08,10) and now have a 2012 AWD Sierra Denali AWD. AWD is much better IMO and I live in upper Michigan and we get a lot of snow. But the AWD is gone from all new GM SUV's and trucks, Denali, Escalade, Tahoe and that disappoints me. And according to a friend who is a Cadi/GMC dealer was a selling point of the Escalade and Denali's. But he said the AWD will come back in the near future but I don't know if he was just speculating and had some inside knowledge.

#30 ·
They are doing this to up the mpg rating. 4wd selectable vehicles are usually in 2 wheel drive mode and their mpg ratings can be stated based on 2wd mode. Many vehicles in the past as well have had 4wd auto and work just fine. AWD can be better, but is usually not necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.