Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Crunching/Clicking noise in steering wheel

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced a crunching clicking sound in the steering wheel column when they turn the wheel left or right? It happens both when car is at a standstill and on and I turn the wheel in place AND also while normal driving and turning. Only can hear it with radio turned off otherwise noise gets drowned out. I was told by the dealership that
it is being caused by the drive coil in the steering column rubbing as the wheel turns and that it is normal. I have had many cars in my life and never heard a crunching sound in my steering column before. I would expect the wheel to be perfectly quiet while turning in a car as expensive as ELR. They told me to bring back my car and they are doing further tests to see. But other than that, love my ELR!

#3 ·
Good Morning lacatav,

I'm glad to hear you are loving your ELR! It sure is one shape Cadillac. I'm sorry you are experiencing a clicking noise in your steering column. Have you considered getting your ELR Concierge involved? They will be able to assist you while you're working with the dealership. Please let me know if I can contact them on your behalf. Just send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage and the dealership you are working with.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

#4 ·
So my new ELR has been at the dealer for 23 consecutive days awaiting a fix for the steering wheel issues. That makes 31 days total so far that the car has been in the shop for this issue counting the additional week the first time I took it in. I think that is longer than I've actually driven the car considering it only has 2300 miles on it.

They tell me they've sent out various engineers from GM and have now decided that they will change out the faulty steering wheel coil.

I'm so disillusioned and disappointed with this whole experience.

#6 ·
Hello lacatav1,

I'm truly sorry to hear your ELR has been in the shop for such a long time. I really would like to look into this on my end and ensure the appropriate teams are coordinating on your situation. Can you please private message me your VIN, contact number and the dealer name you're working with? I'll keep an eye out for your response.

Katie O.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.