ELR owners unite! Let's work together to get these problems fixed!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ELR Forum Discussion, ELR owners unite! Let's work together to get these problems fixed! in Current Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Dear fellow ELR owners: I hope you are all enjoying your ELRs, regardless of whether you paid full price or ...
    Blastphemy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ELR

ELR owners unite! Let's work together to get these problems fixed!

Dear fellow ELR owners:

I hope you are all enjoying your ELRs, regardless of whether you paid full price or were able to take advantage of the recent 20-25% discounts offered by many dealerships.

As is usually the case with any new vehicle, the car isn't perfect, and some issues need to be addressed by Cadillac. I have brought all of my own concerns to Cadillac, my dealership, and my ELR Concierge, but very little progress has been made in the seven months I've had my ELR.

So I'm asking for your help - take the list below to your Cadillac dealership and ask your service manager to transmit it to Cadillac for resolution. While I realize not everyone will consider each item a problem, let's stick together and complain about every single one so Cadillac hears these concerns as one voice from the ELR community.

If you have an issue I haven't raised, please add it to the thread and I will make sure to do my part and communicate your concern to my own dealership.

The more owners who make the same complaints, the more likely these items will be resolved.

Note that I didn't include things that can't be fixed, such as the passenger side mirror always being partially obscured by the passenger door no matter the driver's seat position, or the rearview mirror always being partially obscured by the overhead console unless the driver is short, or the inability to put the car in Sport and Hold mode at the same time (for better acceleration before the battery is fully depleted).

We can do this if we work together! When you've given this list to your dealership, ELR Concierge, or directly to Cadillac, please post that information here so we know the level of participation.

Thank you!

1) Please add a C.U.E. setting that lets me disable the "vehicle left on" triple honk that occurs when I exit the ELR with my keyfob without turning off the car (or when I remote start and then open/close the trunk). The ELR already has a setting to disable the "keyfob left in vehicle" warning, so something similar to that would be perfect.

2) The air conditioning always defaults to 'Max' (instead of 'Eco') when turned on. Please either (i) add a C.U.E. setting that lets me choose the default A/C mode, (ii) have the A/C always default to 'Eco' instead of 'Max', or (iii) allow each press of "Auto" to toggle 'Min', 'Eco', and 'Max' respectively.

3) Please adjust the Instrument Panel Illumination Control thumbwheel so that it can dim the Center Stack Display more at night. Currently, the lowest setting is still too bright.

4) Please allow the Instrument Panel Illumination Control thumbwheel to adjust the displays' brightness during the daytime if the driver manually sets the Display Mode to "Night" in C.U.E. (especially because the Light Sensor isn't sensitive enough to recognize when it's a dark, cloudy day, so the instrument panels remain distractingly bright under those conditions.)

5) The image quality of the reverse camera in dark garages and at night is disappointing; very blurry and with poor contrast. Can that be improved so that the image is at least comparable to the Toyota Rav4 EV and Infiniti QX70? Here's a comparison of the ELR camera image at night: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-vs-50k.html

6) The Center Stack Display, when switched to reverse camera at night or in a dark garage, is not bright enough to see adequately when the Instrument Panel Illumination Control thumbwheel is dialed all the way down. Please either (i) change the reverse camera image to always display at full illumination, or (ii) add a C.U.E. setting that lets me set the reverse camera image to override the thumbwheel and "always display at full brightness."

7) The ELR doesn't sort Artist, Album, or Song titles properly. (For example, every artist and song that begins with "The" are all listed together alphabetically under 'T', and all song titles that begin with a parenthesis are grouped at the top of the track list.) Please reprogram C.U.E. to use each audio file's ID3 'Sort Field' to determine the correct sort order of tracks/artists/albums.

8) If one starts listening to an Album selected from the main center C.U.E. display (Audio --> USB Media --> Browse --> Albums --> select album --> select track to play), there's no problem after cycling the car. But if one selects an album from the steering wheel DIC controls (Audio info selected from left --> press Right on 5-way controller --> Browse --> Albums --> select album --> select track to play) and cycles the car, then when the currently playing track ends, instead of continuing with the album, C.U.E. incorrectly starts playing the next song track alphabetically on the device and the album order is lost. Obviously, the work-around is to only select Albums from the main center display, but it seems silly that the steering wheel DIC controls work one way (the wrong way, since I selected an Album, not Songs) while the main center display works another way (the expected way).

9) The "ETA Information Area" in the top right of the navigation map can't be set to default to the 'number of miles' to my set destination instead of 'estimated arrival time'. That tiny touch point on the Infotainment screen is very difficult to select since it's small and on the far side of the screen. (Ideally, it the C.U.E. System should show both miles to destination and estimated time to arrival at the same time like most other vehicles do in their navigation systems.)

10) Please add a setting to adjust the volume of the Forward Collision Alert beeping. (It's too loud for me, and I don't want to turn it off and use seat vibration instead.)

11) Passenger door does not open from the inside when door is locked. I understand that I've set the car to only unlock the driver-side door when I turn off the car, but shouldn't a passenger be able to exit without manually unlocking the door first? That seems like a safety problem.

12) The 'Climate Off' button functions as a toggle instead of just an off button, so if I press it when the A/C is already off, it inexplicably turns on the A/C. Please change the 'Climate Off' button so that it only turns off the A/C (and does nothing if Climate is already off).

13) Please allow the driver to manually disable the dinging that occurs when he/she has the engine on and the driver's door open, preferably by acknowledging the notice that pops up on the DIC display under these circumstances.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: ELR owners unite! Let's work together to get these problems fixed!

I received a PM asking me to explain why each of my 13 complaints is a serious problem, so I decided to post my answer in this thread for all to read. The worst that can happen is Cadillac ultimately refuses to do anything and I never buy a GM car again. The best that can happen is Cadillac resolves all of the complaints and makes the ELR a better car. The latter is win-win and the former is lose-lose, so hopefully Cadillac chooses the latter option!

Quote Originally Posted by Blastphemy View Post
    1) Please add an On/Off preference to the Vehicle Settings > Remote Lock, Unlock, Start > menu similar to 'Remote Left in Vehicle Alert' but labeled 'Vehicle Left On Alert' that prevents the car from triple honking when the keyfob is removed from the ELR while the car is still on or when either door or the trunk is opened/closed while the car is running and no keyfob is present.
    As I know many EV drivers do on hot days when the battery still has ample charge, I leave the ELR running with the A/C on to keep the car cool while I run into the grocery store, dry cleaner, post office, or other short errand (especially when my wife decides to stay in the car). When I used to do this in my 2012 Volt, all I heard were a few mild dings inside the car; otherwise, the Volt didn't advertise that it's still on.

The ELR, on the other hand, waits about two seconds after the driver's door is closed to emit three quick full-volume honks that frequently scare the bejeezus out of anyone standing nearby. The triple honk also sounds when I open the passenger door, grab my grocery bags, and then shut it. HONK HONK HONK!

So if you park the ELR (leaving it on with the A/C running), get out and close the driver door, open the trunk to get your grocery bags and then close it, and then your wife exits the passenger door and closes it, you and everyone around you gets to be attacked by three artillery volleys of HONK HONK HONK in rapid succession.

Sure, one can choose to not quite close the driver's door all the way or just leave the keyfob in the car, but then the vehicle isn't secure. I haven't found any half-fix for the horn blasting after closing the trunk, and frankly I'd rather not put myself in a position where I forget about the trunk being half closed and it opens while I'm driving!

BTW, the triple honk alert also happens when I remote start the car (for up to 10 minutes of A/C preconditioning), open the trunk, put my groceries in, and then shut the trunk. HONK HONK HONK! Why would Cadillac's engineers think a "no keyfob in car" warning during preconditioning was necessary? Of course there's no keyfob in the car during preconditioning!

Both the Volt and ELR have a setting that allows the driver to disable the loud alerts for leaving the keyfob in the vehicle after turning off the car and for when the charge cable is prematurely disconnected without first unlocking a door. All I want is for Cadillac to add one additional option for disabling the "vehicle left on" warning. That would still allow people who like the warning to leave it on, but would also allow those of us who don't to turn off that "feature." Everyone is happy.

2) The air conditioning always defaults to 'Max' (instead of 'Eco') when turned on. Please either (i) add a C.U.E. setting that lets me choose the default A/C mode, (ii) have the A/C always default to 'Eco' instead of 'Max', or (iii) allow each press of "Auto" to toggle 'Min', 'Eco', and 'Max' respectively.
    Most Volt and ELR (and Prius, Leaf, Rav4 EV, i3, etc.) drivers I know bought their cars to save energy, save money, and "save the planet" (although at different levels of enthusiasm for each). Even while they all tout the fantastic driving dynamic electric delivers as a major reason for their purchase, there's still always that environmental and fiscal concern underlying their initial interest in EVs.

Under most conditions, "Eco" mode is sufficient for the A/C. I've personally witnessed my Volt getting up to 5 additional miles just by keeping the A/C on "Eco" or "Fan Only" instead of "Max." In the ELR, it's a bit less impactful, but I definitelysee a decrease in range when I leave the A/C on "Max" instead of "Eco." So I would prefer to always have the A/C in "Eco" mode (or "Min" mode). It just makes sense if my goal is to maximize my EV mileage.

Unfortunately, if the A/C is off when I initially turn on the Climate controls, the ELR defaults to Max. (I think the Volt does this too, but I don't remember.) I would like Cadillac to add a C.U.E. preference just below the 'Maximum Fan Speed' preference that allows me to set the default A/C mode. Or, if that's not feasible, then I would like Cadillac to make every successive press of the Climate Auto button cycle through Min, Eco, and Max respectively. This way, the driver wouldn't have to always pull up the Climate screen just to switch from Max to Eco (just as Volt drivers must always pull up their Climate screen just to select Recirculate, which is inconvenient and can be downright frustrating if you tend to do it often).

The Climate screen on the ELR does not allow for the Favorites tray to be displayed, so leaving that screen on all the time requires the driver to use the steering wheel DIC controls, which are much less efficient and user-friendly. So eliminating the need to pull up the Climate screen would be a very nice GUI and efficiency improvement. Drivers who like the A/C to turn on at Max will be able to set it to do that, and others who prefer Eco or Min can choose those options instead. Everyone is happy.

3) Please adjust the Instrument Panel Illumination Control thumbwheel so that it can dim the Center Stack Display more at night. Currently, the lowest setting is still too bright.
    Pretty self-explanatory: the Center Stack Display is too bright at night, even on the lowest adjustable dimness setting. All I ask is that Cadillac allow the thumbwheel to decrease the brightness even more so I'm not distracted by the display. Other drivers who prefer a slightly brighter display at night (and the interior ambient lighting to be on) will still be able to have it that way. Everyone is happy.

4) Please allow the Instrument Panel Illumination Control thumbwheel to adjust the displays' brightness during the daytime if the driver manually sets the Display Mode to "Night" in C.U.E.
    At the moment, manually changing the Display to "Night Mode" doesn't do anything except show clouds at the top of the map screen instead of clouds. In every other vehicle I've owned, changing to "Night Mode" switches the car's interior lighting, navigation systems screen brightness, and nav map backgrounds to a different palette.

On darker days (due to clouds or rain), the Center Stack Display remains on full brightness because the light sensor apparently only reacts to nighttime darkness, not cloudy dimness. The only way to alleviate the too-bright screen is to turn off the display completely, but then you lose access to all the information and controls. So it's a poor solution, and one that shouldn't be necessary.

All I want is for the existing setting that changes "Day Mode" to "Night Mode" to actually work as expected. Drivers who prefer the automatic switching of screens and interior lighting will continue to have the system work that way, but those of us who consider the screens and lighting too bright will be able to adjust the brightness appropriately. Everyone is happy.

5) The image quality of the reverse camera in dark garages and at night is disappointing; very blurry and with poor contrast. Can that be improved so that the image is at least comparable to the Toyota Rav4 EV and Infiniti QX70? Here's a comparison of the ELR camera image at night: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ra-vs-50k.html
    Self explanatory. Those pictures are worth 1,000 words. No excuse for the Volt having such a crappy reverse camera image, and especially no excuse for an $80k ELR having a similarly crappy image. While I understand that some 2013 Volt owners were able to get their camera replaced, and that 2014/15 Volts come with slightly better cameras, is anyone actually satisfied with them - especially after you see the reverse camera in a comparable Honda, Acura, Toyota, Nissan, or Infiniti? Cadillac (and Chevrolet) would make everyone happy if a better camera with better software was installed in the ELR/Volt.

6) The Center Stack Display, when switched to reverse camera at night or in a dark garage, is not bright enough to see adequately when the Instrument Panel Illumination Control thumbwheel is dialed all the way down. Please either (i) change the reverse camera image to always display at full illumination, or (ii) add a C.U.E. setting that lets me set the reverse camera image to override the thumbwheel and "always display at full brightness."
    Again, the pictures from #5 are worth 1,000 words. Volt owners know this problem well. Of course, some people aren't as annoyed that they have to reach over and dial up the illumination control thumbwheel every time they back up in a garage or at night, but wouldn't it be nice if Cadillac (and Chevrolet) worked like every other vehicle with a decent backup camera? This is a safety issue, plain and simple, and fixing it will make everyone happy, even the people who previously didn't feel put out having to constantly adjust the camera brightness for each lighting condition they encounter.

7) The ELR doesn't sort Artist, Album, or Song titles properly. (For example, every artist and song that begins with "The" are all listed together alphabetically under 'T', and all song titles that begin with a parenthesis are grouped at the top of the track list.) Please reprogram C.U.E. to use each audio file's ID3 'Sort Field' to determine the correct sort order of tracks/artists/albums.
    This was already discussed heavily in another thread. Suffice it to say, the customer should be in control of how his/her music is sorted, and only the ELR (and possibly other C.U.E. vehicles) has this problem. If the system worked properly, everyone would be happy, whether you like "The Beatles" and "The Alan Parsons Project" sorted together or whether you prefer them to follow standard library alphabetizing standards.

8) If one starts listening to an Album selected from the main center C.U.E. display (Audio --> USB Media --> Browse --> Albums --> select album --> select track to play), there's no problem after cycling the car. But if one selects an album from the steering wheel DIC controls (Audio info selected from left --> press Right on 5-way controller --> Browse --> Albums --> select album --> select track to play) and cycles the car, then when the currently playing track ends, instead of continuing with the album, C.U.E. incorrectly starts playing the next song track alphabetically on the device and the album order is lost. Obviously, the work-around is to only select Albums from the main center display, but it seems silly that the steering wheel DIC controls work one way (the wrong way, since I selected an Album, not Songs) while the main center display works another way (the expected way).
    This is a bug, not a new feature request. Cadillac has already acknowledged such to me.

9) The "ETA Information Area" in the top right of the navigation map can't be set to default to the 'number of miles' to my set destination instead of 'estimated arrival time'. That tiny touch point on the Infotainment screen is very difficult to select since it's small and on the far side of the screen. (Ideally, it the C.U.E. System should show both miles to destination and estimated time to arrival at the same time like most other vehicles do in their navigation systems.)
    Self explanatory. Perhaps others have better Center Stack Display screen aim and have longer arms, or perhaps others don't even bother to look at that metric. Dunno. But it works properly in the Volt, and if Cadillac would improve this small but frustrating issue so that it's at least as good as the Volt, I suspect everyone would be happy.

10) Please add a setting to adjust the volume of the Forward Collision Alert beeping. (It's too loud for me, and I don't want to turn it off and use seat vibration instead.)
    Adding this preference would make everyone happy, whether you like the Forward Collision Alert loud, medium, or soft.

11) Passenger door does not open from the inside when door is locked. I understand that I've set the car to only unlock the driver-side door when I turn off the car, but shouldn't a passenger be able to exit without manually unlocking the door first? That seems like a safety problem.
    This is a safety issue because, aside from the ELR losing power, a panicked passenger might not be able to escape the car in an emergency when seconds count because the stupid door won't let him/her out! Has anyone else every owned a car that refuses to allow the driver or front passenger to exit the car without first pressing the unlock button (with no alternative setting to override it)?

12) The 'Climate Off' button functions as a toggle instead of just an off button, so if I press it when the A/C is already off, it inexplicably turns on the A/C. Please change the 'Climate Off' button so that it only turns off the A/C (and does nothing if Climate is already off).
    This is the only request on the list that has the potential to not make everyone happy. If there are people out there in the world who really want an Off button to turn something On, then implementing this suggestion will not make them happy. My apologies.

13) Please allow the driver to manually disable the dinging that occurs when he/she has the engine on and the driver's door open, preferably by acknowledging the notice that pops up on the DIC display under these circumstances.
    It was pointed out to me that this may be regulated by Federal statute, so even though it's annoying, it might take an act of Congress to resolve it. Good luck with that. It seems no one is happy when Congress gets involved!

Re: ELR owners unite! Let's work together to get these problems fixed!

Another ELR owner who was also bothered by #1 and #2 gave me his workaround solutions for those issues. While they're not perfect, they're definitely an improvement:

1) Leave the spare keyfob in the car to prevent the ELR from constantly triple honking at you when you leave the engine and A/C running then exit the car. You can still lock the car with the main keyfob (but it won't honk a confirmation), so the only chance of theft is if a criminal breaks your window to gain access. The only real downside is that the car dings at you every time you open the driver door, but that's a small price to pay for disabling that intrusive triple honk.

2) Never turn off the A/C to keep it in Eco mode. While cycling the ELR after turning off the A/C resets the climate controls to Max, cycling the ELR's power without turning off the A/C results in the car remembering the prior setting. If you don't want heavy A/C the moment you turn on the ELR each time, you can press the fan button down to the minimum possible speed before turning off the ELR, and then just press 'Auto' when you're ready for regular A/C after turning the car back on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.